Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

I should post more of Wanwan's works here; the quality of his work often rivals ZUN himself. This is a recent post from his Youtube channel, though the date in the description leaves me confused as to whether or not it was composed some time ago.

Spoiler

BTW, this piece is part of a series of commissions from Anna Nguyen, a.k.a. Anna's Handmade. She seems to commission songs for her original characters rather consistently, and involved artists include Aka Kyuketsuki and Yoiyami (also Janitogloy and Enzaki Roka, but they're new names to me).

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanksgiving week is here! I'll be back before the day itself arrives, but it's still close enough for me to reference it. Here's some remixes (somewhat) suited to the occasion! I'm not quite s

Other "Idola Deus" I was talking about in remix tournament:  

Hmm, not really sure what you would count as a "discovery", but something interesting is a fanmade piece for a character supposedly never actually was in the series (it's difficult to tell if they wri

Posted Images

Ayyy, nice to see Wanwan here. I remember when they originally worked on some PC-98 remixes before moving on to compose for ido's danmakufu fangames. You might be thinking that I'm going to post some Mystical Power Plant music since it has Okuu, but instead...

Yeah I'll give Infinite Blade Pavillion some love since it's a new. Also because it features the Palace of the Earth Spirits. Also because it's the only game Wanwan composed for that can actually run on my system. Why can't all Touhou danmaku fan games be their own executible.

The style is similar to ZUN's modern style, so trumpets, overdrive guitar plus occasional piano. But it also features a surprising amount of flute that goes with the main melody quite well.

Also Anna's Handmade makes really good custom fumos. It's almost like ordering from Yumemey directly lol.

• Like 1

I hadn't heard that Infinite Blade Pavilion had released! I'll have to get to compiling it's soundtrack soon.

• Thanks 1

Yooo already 25 uploads in 2 weeks? That's crazy! Hope the creator of that channel keeps up with the daily uploads (or at least uploads them in bulk and schedules them to become public daily lol). Because I really appreciate the audio visualizer they use over each track compared to the standard static fan art.

It's nice that they also make good use of Youtube's internal tagging system, as in putting in the specific genres in both English and Japanese. Here's the ones I extracted from their recent True Administrator track for instance.

"UCkoadV0OOXlRa66fzQbZzTQ, 東方, Touhou, 東方Project, TouhouProject, 幻想Storage, GENSOStorage, 幻想ストレージ, 東方アレンジ, TouhouArrange, 東方自作, レンジ, 東方inst, EDM, 東方EDM, 東方DnB, Drum'n'Bass, Drum&Bass, DnB, True Administrator, 聖徳伝説, 東方神霊廟, 豊聡耳神子, 快晴雄正, WKG Tupper Records, 幻スト

Look, I know it's an oddly specific thing to mention lol, but as someone who frequently downloads videos off of Youtube with their respective tags to aid in local searching, I greatly appreciate it. Most videos don't put any tags so it saves me the trouble of entering them manually when saving them for offline use. (Think of these keywords like the image tags on boorus).

also i saw you skip over okuu... i'm kidding lol don't sweat it xD.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Garison DeCrick said:

Yooo already 25 uploads in 2 weeks? That's crazy! Hope the creator of that channel keeps up with the daily uploads (or at least uploads them in bulk and schedules them to become public daily lol). Because I really appreciate the audio visualizer they use over each track compared to the standard static fan art.

They already have a bunch of stuff privated and I imagine they add more private videos as artists send their works in. They release two videos per day at the moment. Also worth noting that it's run by a team, so yeah, they're organised.

• Like 1

I'm still listening to Wanwan right now, so . . .

Spoiler

I would really like Wanwan would add his previous work to Bandcamp; Life-Guiding Song in particular is one of my favorites. At least I've got Tri Focuser.

Anybody else notice a lot of the emoticons on old posts have turned into question mark quartets?

• Like 1

Ok, that was a lot more tracks than I was expecting! I never knew custom-fumos could have so much lore to them...

I also really like the MIDI keyboard visualization used in all the videos, reminds me of Synthesia. Makes me wish someone could make a program that turns those into danmaku because that would be fun to dodge.

• Like 1

@Garison DeCrick I've occasionally reflected on a similar concept with dubstep-visualizers, as in the way the bars at the bottom of the screen or around the centerpiece jump out in wave formations in time to the music. A game could probably be themed around incorporating music visualizers into the danmaku, possibly with a different style for each boss and having that boss's theme tailored to the attack style.

I haven't yet looked into Barrage Musical ~ A Fantasy of Tempest, but I've heard it's danmaku is designed to be in time to the music; possibly this is a concept that could be adapted into the visualizer idea? I'd assume this requires a rework of the way battles progress; as it is now, everything would have to be timed attacks to prevent the music from falling behind.

Also the way the MIDI bars are glowing in this video made me think of this.

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ken Hisuag That would be cool to have different characters based off different audio visualizers, like spectrograms, wave forms and other oscillations. Touhou characters also have a lot of lore, so I can see it fitting. 

This game so far is the closest thing I've ever found to a danmaku music visualizer and it only takes the BPM of the .mp3 file you input. The rest is just pre-made bullet hell patterns. (Btw, RIP Flash)

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/616748

I haven't played Barrage Musical ~ A Fantasy of Tempest yet, but from what I've seen on the Steam page, it definitely looks interesting! Plus, the first stage looks like the Windows XP background so I'm already hooked! The only way I can see an audio visualizer danmaku to work without timed spells is if it divides parts of the songs into sections corresponding to each spell card. If it's timed out, the section plays as normal. But if it's beaten, it skips to the next section. Of course this comes with it's own problems of having the music flow together and not sound cut...

Also nice Patchy, I'm sure buskerdog is a fan of that

On an unrelated note, I just found out that DDBY released a new installment to the "Cafe de Touhou" series since the Reimu For Smash Twitter retweeted it recently. Well kinda. 3 years waiting for a continuation from Touhou 13 and it's now called "Relax Cafe for Work -#1.Kishinjou-". Ouch...

But hey, at least that Cave Story artist is still drawing the album covers!

https://ddby.jp/relaxcafe01/

If you don't know what this is, it's a series of relaxing Touhou tracks, similar to Shibayan Record and Moon-Tone both mentioned previously here. It's fairly long running, dating back to 2010, so I have some nostalgia attached to it.

https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/DDBY

Also, if you're confused about the name of the video above, it's a reoccurring joke on how Youtube's copyright system always ends up taking down the video, but fans keep putting it back up lol. If you like the music, I'd highly recommend downloading a local copy of the video (I use ITubeGo) if you haven't already, since it's not at all relaxing trying to find another mirror!

Edited by Garison DeCrick

Last Wanwan post for a while, I promise. Despite being a short album, Trifocuser's soundtrack is one of my favorite things to come out of the fandom.

Spoiler

Also commemorating a rare moment of more than one or two of us being here at the same time.

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

I've got the current OST for Infinite Blade Pavilion compiled, but since it's too large to upload myself I'm gonna hold onto it until the extra stage is released.

To justify this update, here's some Touhou Unreal Mahjong:

@Nitorium I like the new colorization choices to the buttons and names, but what happened to the "hidden content" button? I kinda need that . . .

Edited by Ken Hisuag
Testing quote box
1 minute ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I've got the current OST for Infinite Blade Pavilion compiled, but since it's too large to upload myself I'm gonna hold onto it until the extra stage is released.

To justify this update, here's some Touhou Unreal Mahjong:

@Nitorium I like the new colorization choices to the buttons and names, but what happened to the "hidden content" button? I kinda need that . . .

What "hidden content"?

5 minutes ago, Nitorium said:

What "hidden content"?

The button that lets you condense things into a collapsible text box, like the above quote box. Having just typed that out, I realize the quote box button is still there, and can probably serve the same purpose.

One-Minute-Later-Edit: Yup, that'll work. Thanks!

Edited by Ken Hisuag

Oh, THAT'S what you mean. Yes, the quote will do the same thing.

😄

With the third remix tournament in progress, I feel it would be prudent for me to focus on original pieces for a bit. So here's a popular OC theme:

Spoiler

• Like 1
On 10/20/2020 at 1:29 AM, buskerdog said:

Other "Idola Deus" I was talking about in remix tournament:

Oh i know that guy, he was in moriya records
he submitted an arrangement of backdoor sumthin, he doesnt seem to upload it anywhere else though.
until the godfukinforsaken manager forgot to put in his song.
he left.

also i found this awesome channel

GENSOStorage
seems like a music distribution channel, although not big enough to be a Label.
Great way to find small obscure new circles.
Users submit their own song to be uploaded, so there's extremely slim chance the song will be striked
ofc there's seems to be some moderation on which to upload.

this one my pick from a quick look

Spoiler

totally not because yachie is my 4th waifu

she's literally a yakuza

@Drunken_Flower

On 9/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, buskerdog said:

A new youtube channel uploading Touhou arrangements called GENSOStorage has started uploading recently. Touhou doujin creators can use a form to submit their works to the channel; the aim is to help promote and archive both new and existing touhou arrangements.

It seems like it could become a great outlet for smaller creators, so if it grows it could give exposure to a lot of really obscure stuff.

bruh

• Haha 1
  • Youmu Stare 1