Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

Ken Hisuag

You have Boiled my blood, you two horned bear god!!!

Alright time to clear up some misunderstanding (On my part) About Joyful I meant that the song has a changing tone oh.... shoot you're right I didn't use the proper word for that and yeah, the song gave me sad vibes and somewhat nostalgic feeling. (I need to dig up your reply in that comment section)

As an apology, I present you Kuroneko Lounge (クロネコラウンジ) and HOLY SHIT THIS TRACK MADE ME FALL FOR SAGUME. (Pardon, if this is already mentioned in the thread as I kinda lost track of it)

Spoiler

Damm, this house got me as I found 'em through the Raiko electronic piece. 

This 49:01 got me falling 'cause the original, I can't even tell if it's here but it's so damm good as the vibe is so epic as oni are going to gather around while starting bit are maximum hype and the ending one comes straight out of your memories. 

12 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

(DAMN YOU EOSD)

Speaking of EOSD I found a mashup for it and some interesting remix of Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye as the vocals are spot on as if the sisters were born in this generation. The former is from "Tek" ha... they make... you guess it electro and the latter is from the circle "Frozen System Record" and the remix is from SORCERESS SUMMER album here is one of 'em that I found on YT FROZEN SYSTEM RECORDS SORCERESS SUMMER C84 - YouTube (WARNING: CONTAINS ELECTRICITY AND SOME HARDCORD ROCK: GTA STYLE)

Spoiler

Not bad, not bad at all; I like the ambience here.

Yeah, the vocals are truly interesting and English ones too.

Finally, tis a gift for the Drunken lad since rock ballad is really good for the plant, Hoshiguma's treat.

Aight, this is enough for today and yeah, throw as many pieces as you like Drunken Flower and I'll catch up as I did say I'll make a rowdy one for the bois.

Edited by Gou the frog
The first one went glitch on me and the same song appear twice in the spoiler tab
  • Like 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

11 minutes ago, buskerdog said:

I've got some interesting fan trivia for you guys today.

This MIDI arrange is believed to be the first recorded Touhou music fanwork. (I highly recommend reading the video description).

There's actually history, aye I leaned a lot here and it appears to be one of the oldest Fan made Touhou music work. All right, I love competition so, I have one more left (Better restock on music) I shall drop another Pc-98 remix channel of the window era. We need actual Pc-98 music remixes (It's only natural to return old with somewhat old and new?) 

Spoiler

Meiling why not? (We need Orange and Mai) 

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

Even more extremely late, but this time not so much my fault; been feeling a bit under the weather over the weekend.

ESTi - Fantastic Summer of Youkai
This is from the Seasonal Dream Vision CD, so it may be straying a bit too close to "official," but it's one of the best arrangements of the piece that I've found.

Spoiler

Adazakura - Complete Darkness ~ The Missing Revenger (2019 ver.)
There's a lot of Complete Darkness remixes out there, but considering the above feature I was hoping for something a bit more obscure. It sounds a bit too compressed to me, but otherwise it's a fine arrangement with good progression.

Spoiler

mocchie - Phantasm Love
I initially found a different remix, but I didn't think it contrasted favorably with the previous two in this feature, so I went with this one instead. I'll post the other one later.
This does unfortunately mean I am reutilizing a previously utilized artist for this project; I'd like to avoid doing this as much as possible, so as to diversify the featured styles.

Spoiler

On an unrelated note, y'all think it's better to credit the individual remixer or the circle? The Missing Revenger was released under the Reset All Controllers circle, but specifically arranged by Adazakura; which one seems the preferable option?

• Like 1

TTT

On 5/15/2022 at 2:16 AM, Gou the frog said:

The theme is originally from the soundtrack of Mrs. Estacion, a vertical danmaku shooter made by 楓実クルト. The music here appears to have been remastered and used as Nitori's theme in a fanmade Touhou 10 mod, a Phantasm stage called MoF After Extra." And Yes, it appears to be from a bullet hell game inspired by Touhou and the track itself have been remastered in a fan made mode "MoF After Extra"

Wait, I'm confused; this piece sounds similar to One-Way Accelerator. Which came first? If Maiden's Short Life was based off of Sentence of Death, is there a connection between these and The Kappa's Way as One Said? Or are the simularities merely a coincidence?

On 5/17/2022 at 4:50 AM, Gou the frog said:

We need actual Pc-98 music remixes

I recommend the channel of asi14, which regularly releases new PC-98 remixes: https://www.youtube.com/c/asi14

TTT

On 5/25/2022 at 1:25 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

Wait, I'm confused; this piece sounds similar to One-Way Accelerator. Which came first? If Maiden's Short Life was based off of Sentence of Death, is there a connection between these and The Kappa's Way as One Said? Or are the simularities merely a coincidence?

I too am confused as this piece sounds like One-Way Accelerator and I dug up the answer, a quote from this description: 

This version of Sentence of Death is the version that Misora was testing his new sound source ... And its tone has been slightly changed too .. Misora said... I think this version is better, but not change so much from the Nitori's AE one, right ? So by far, we have 4 versions of it.... and all of them are Misora's Composition too. ~ This theme composed by Misora.

So the Og is from TeiShan Amaki's Theme from "Mrs. Estacion"

and the arrange one is from Nitori's AfterExtra Stage Theme from "Mountain of Faith" (The current one I posted)

And the One-Way Accelerator. (There're quite a few of themes based on a fan song)

Aside that, I've stash this: 

Spoiler

Too jazzy and there're quite a few of remixes there

Now for the big question, where does this come from? The circle is kimino-museum and it's also from an album; it's one of the best vocals I've ever heard and the flow is very good. 

Spoiler

Too awesome and the pleasure is all for a comment in a very old walfas video. 

Last but not least @Drunken_Flower will you handle tonight festival for a great man whom had made us who we are today. 

Spoiler

A special channel has seen my request and made a special song for a special day. 

• Like 2

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

Considerations of chronology upon the horizon, but I'll likely address those in their time.

Oshio Hakumu - The Tank Girl's Dream
At times, unique styles and unfamiliar genres will naturally stand out to me among more predictable arrangements, yet at other times I'll be looking for something specific. Provided there is a balance, this tendency should have a positive impact on the selection I present here. For this particular piece, the former perspective is implicated.

Spoiler

Metalhead33 - Forest of Tohno (SYNTHGMS)
This has been the most difficult track to decide a feature for thus far. There was exactly one professional arrangement I could find, which was IRON ATTACK!, and I wanted something calmer. It is possible (even probable) that the title similarity with Fantastic Tales of Tohno contributed to the scarcity of findings, but even that accepting, I suspect there simply aren't many remixes of this piece.

Spoiler

Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets - Legendary Wonderland
Add on to the early statement "unusual artist names;" even now, there's some established circles I've never heard of, and I suspect this will always be the case.

Spoiler

• Like 1

TTT

Using the pending tournament as an excuse to pause the Every Touhou Song Ever project, I present some original compositions in the Touhou style (Zunish).

DJ Abner - Yosakoi Foxtrot
A lot of these tend to be from fangame soundtracks, and certain names emerge as being especially talented in the genre.

Spoiler

Aka Kyuketsuki - The Colorful Maiden, Through the Colorless World
Two familiar names here, as I'm familiar with Oligarchomp from the Rivals of Aether workshop.

Spoiler

Wanwan - Kite Flight ~ Winging Into Ancient
Even this is fangame related, coming from the music team behind the Kaisendo Group series.

Spoiler

• Like 1

TTT

Need even more awesome music to listen to in the middle of Remix Tournament? Well no worries, because I have a handful of things I just gotta share... why do I always suddenly have stuff a bunch I things I want to post when there's a remix tournament on??

Spoiler

This Demetori arrange is some truly beautiful metal. I could have considered submitting it to the tournament, had I not already decided upon what I was submitting when I found it. Sure, I could save it for the next tournament, but... I wanna share now! Maybe it's my Reimu bias speaking, but this song is one of those songs that truly stirs me. Regardless of whether you feel the same or not, you can't deny the quality on show.

Demetori - Spring Lane ~ Rest in Peace, Saith The Lord.

To accompany that, here is a metal remix of Necrofantasia by a different circle, Herbivora. This one has some fantastically cool vibes to it.

Herbivora - Still Waiting for a Dead

And finally, here's some electro sung by none other than nomico. It's been a while since I listened to Alstroemeria Records, so I was wondering, do I still have an affinity for nomico songs? The answer is yes, I still have an affinity for nomico songs.

Oh hey wait a minute, Kasen! That's another character sort of related to Reimu!

Alstroemeria Records - Smoke'n Mirrors

• Like 3

Got myself with 3 very cool songs recently, but now I am in the awkward situation of not being able to find the images used (dead IDs or just old content the artists may have deleted). Anyway, one song I have found thanks to a connection to the remix tournament:

A Modern Girl Walks the Street. Circle: 全自動少女 (Automata Girl)

Spoiler

The other things I have found are from UNDEAD CORPORATION. How did it take me so long to find them as a music group? Even if I got ever so remotely into their songs, there are quite some good ones (and some with little surprises)

Embraced by the Flame - first of all, nice to see an arrangement in English. so I can finally sing along. It is rock, so bonus points. Last but not least, congrats to this song for actually making it into a mainstream western meme ("Mr Incredible becomes Ascended"), even if most would not even notice where those few seconds of song came from. 

Spoiler

Yogoto no Yami no Okusoko de

Alright, I really love this one. Apparently, it is power metal or something (I am not very used to the classifications), but to me, it generally falls under the "rock" umbrella. Despite the song being in Japanese, it has quite the pretty vocals thanks to Merami. As reading the lyrics (the linked video will have English and Spanish lyrics as subtitle), it created a slight, yet very pleasant feeling of anxiety, which very much fits the theme of the song - an encounter with Rumia at night. I think the absolute hook for me was the instrumental. From the very start, the vocals + guitar got my curiosity, then THAT DRUM, that goddamn drum absolutely got me in. Also, does anyone know what sort of drums are those? they sound a little different from anything I am used to, but I love them so much. 

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Up 2

spacer.png

On 6/10/2022 at 8:12 AM, CountVonNumenor said:

A Modern Girl Walks the Street. Circle: 全自動少女 (Automata Girl)

Reveal hidden contents

are you perhaps sharing the same discord servers as me? or even spying on me? ?
ive been sharing this thing around everywhere, well... except here...
i was about to post but then Nocti released her album, and then someone also submitted
automata girl in the tourney, so i keep it in case they also submitted this one.
unrelated but one of my youtube sub started to upload Reset All Controlles out of nowhere when i just learned about that circle, now I feel like the world revolves around me.

anywaay i'll share what ive been listening to

so yeah i've been hunting down Hisouten arranges
by Hisouten i mean is Heaven of Scarlet Perception, SWR recurring themes, not Hisoutensoku theme they are different.
that basically include everything in SWR except Iku and Tenshi theme.

i made a playlist for that
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBobLKXql6t_Xb4bXgYhcfFH_pPoJQRF1
and another playlist for Dancing Water Spray family since they quite different but still the same
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBobLKXql6t8sNxiyrWx-nvv-Fpj4WizF

so yeah here's my highlight from those playlist

Spoiler

【Frontier Records】アルデバラン ~ 緋い星
folk ballad, very beautiful arrangement, highly recommended.

Spoiler

【bunny rhyTHm】歌于绯想 剑问真情
Chinese Vocal

Spoiler

【空彩観測】緋想天
Sorairo Kansoku, i just found about this circle recently.
they make some powerful vocals.

Spoiler

a whole album? why not?

Spoiler

here's not a music discovery but a circle discovery

Spoiler

Bullet IX,
they seems to have been around for a while. probably decently well known in japan, but definitely not in the west.
they mainly focusing on instrumental guitar.
while i cant really link their music here (since they are not uploaded anywhere), i can however link their soudcloud

if you happen to have apple music subscription you can listen the full version here here

https://music.apple.com/jp/album/tenrai-renka-single/1490797412

another packed post

• Like 2

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

25 minutes ago, Drunken_Flower said:

are you perhaps sharing the same discord servers as me? or even spying on me? ?
ive been sharing this thing around everywhere, well... except here...
i was about to post but then Nocti released her album, and then someone also submitted
automata girl in the tourney, so i keep it in case they also submitted this one.

I am not very sure about the Discord part, as I am neither on the MS Discord server, now am I aware of sharing a server with any of you. But nice to see we both appreciate the song. I have first found A Modern Girl Walks the Street thanks to Cinnamon, Cinnamon!! as it was exactly the next recommendation down the list. As for Cinnamon, Cinnamon!! I can thank the songs contest - now I am stuck with that song in my head (as well as the two songs from UNDEAD CORPORATION and the Pristine Beat arrangement from House Set of DDC) That one was my absolute favorite song out of Round 1 (and probably the best overall until now). Anyway, both of them are very good.

spacer.png

Not all original Zunish has to be fangame related . . .

MiragEden - Reversed Asterion
Eban is a favorite of mine, and though he hasn't been as active recently, he has been working on albums as opposed to individual tracks, which I can appreciate.

Spoiler

Mirai Morikawa - All-you-can-drink Festival Party!
On the other hand, this artist is a more recent find, and they seem to favor older/classic era styles of Zunish. I hope they stick around.

Spoiler

Ichigo Papurika - Kodemari Carrying Wind of Another World ~ Yu zhuan qing
This is an experienced hand in the craft, but for some reason I don't often come across his work. Luckily, I found this one through someone's remix.

Spoiler

That will do. I'll see y'all Monday!

• Like 1

TTT

I was going to wait till after the current tournament to post about this, but with Shionne's current project now seems the ideal time.

Across the tournaments, there have been a few instances where the submitted video does not accurately represent the piece it features. By this, I mean anything from lacking a proper loop to only featuring a part of the full arrangement. We've usually reviewed entries according to their submitted presentation, but I'd like to at least note these instances (if there be no better reason, then at the very least to enable ease of retrieval in the event that original links go dead).

FANTASMAUN - Lost Dream x Ghostly Band
RT1, entry #12. The submission was a fifteen minute extension of the first Vanishing Dream section only; the full arrangement continued into a Phantom Ensemble remix, and ended with a blending of the two themes. I wasn't part of this tournament, so I can't speak to the impact this had at the time.

Spoiler

LiLA'c Records - 4th Radiance
RT3, entry #2. For some reason, the featured video cut off the piece almost thirty seconds early. I remember we were all rather confused about the abrupt ending, but it wasn't until much later that I found out what the problem was. I wasn't as acclimated to the genre at the time, but now I've come to appreciate the piece quite a bit.

Spoiler

Oriens - Sealed Sword
Oriens - Alice in Wonderland
RT3, entry #10. Two different tracks from the same album were placed in a single video (to be fair, they do come one after the other in said album). As they are meant to be separate tracks, the first came to a full stop before the second began. For some reason we all just rolled with it at the time, but looking back I would have preferred them separate. That being said, they both feel rather short on their own.

Spoiler

Kuroneko Lounge - Myorenji set 07 ~ Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passenger Ship
RT5, entry #15. I am still unsure if this was intentional, but the submitted video only featured the crossfade demo. I'm not sure this affected reviews much, both because it was noticed and identified at the time and because of the kind of piece in question. This is the last one I remember right now, though I may come back to the subject later.

Spoiler

There's been a couple times I've considered replacing the tournament features with their more accurate portrayals in the Vault playlist; it comes down to a question of what purpose the Vault functions, either as a record of submissions or as a themed community playlist. For now, the answer seems more obviously the former, so I'll leave it as it is. But if any of those original videos are lost, I'm likely going to replace them with these (actually, the last one is already replaced, as the original submission wasn't on Youtube to begin with).

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1
  • Up 1

TTT

Recently stumbled to this album from Studio Nenem
SNTH-0007.jpg
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/靈異伝M01

All 16 of the arrangements are from th01 tracks.
It's all instrumental tracks, the genre seems to be mix of Traditional and Modern.
Ranging from Modern Orchestra, Swing, Chiptune and DnB, and even mix of Traditional and House.
Crossfade for reference: https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17621641

Spoiler

Arrangement of 'Now, Until the Moment You Die', Sariel theme
seems to be a mix of Traditonal and... lounge? idk

and this one, the title says it all
i really like the percussion, especially the snare

• Like 4

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Some assorted Zunish arrangements, with no other particular association.

Pigu/pigdevil2010 - AAABBHM ~ Tales of a Ghostly Field Club Girl and Her Puppets (Album Edit)
One of my favorite chiptune arrangers, though this obviously isn't an example of that. Quite a long medley, and I'm not sure it holds up all the way through, but still potentially worth sharing.

Spoiler

Occult Miko - Mysterious Inked Inventor ~ Monochromatic Laziness
A rare Len'en remix, apparently in the style of the most recent mainline game, though I haven't figured out the sound of that one yet (it can take awhile sometimes).

Spoiler

Aka Kyuketsuki - Witch of Love Potion
An even rarer non-Touhou-Zun-composistion remix, pulling out potential from unexpected places. I considered saving this for later, but it's good enough that I'd rather not hold on to it too long.

Spoiler

TTT

• 2 weeks later...

Missed my post on Saturday, so y'all getting something minor today instead.

Shibayan Records - Tiny Little Adiantum
This was mentioned in the chatbox, and despite discussion implying fair familiarity, I had never heard of it. So here it is now!

Spoiler

asi14 - Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial
An unusual combination of fighting game style (7.5) and PC-98. I'm not always sure whether such specification are part of the title or not . . .

Spoiler

Miki Hiroyuki - Memory of the Road
I'm still technically in tournament mode, so a few Len'en remixes shouldn't be out of place.

Spoiler

TTT

I should have done this earlier [I always say when I don't do it earlier]. No time for lamentations, though!

Studio Nenem - Astral Sword Dance -Glory-
This is an alternate version of the arrangement DF posted a couple weeks ago, officially released exactly a year after its predecessor. I hesitate to use the term "remastered," but the concept comes to mind.

Spoiler

Hachimitsu-Lemon - Disappearing Queen
In contrast, a different remix of a different final boss by a different person. I'm not used to hearing vocal remixes from Hachimitsu-Lemon, but it sounds alright.

Spoiler

ESQUARIA - Disappearing Queen -Luon Remix-
The actual contrast of the same piece in a different style by a different person. I found these two at the same time!

Spoiler

TTT