Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

Ken Hisuag

Time is short today, so I have to get this in when I can. Also, reviewing earlier posts reminding me of alternative post formatting options.

Oshio Hakumu - Swordsman of a Distant Star
Possibly my favorite TH1 themes, though remixes rarely do it justice. This piece, though labeled as dubstep, has a restraint to it that creates a surreal tone; this compliments the pizzicato lead instrument, keeping the melody distinct.

Spoiler

Violet Delta - Reconciliation
Violet Delta hosted an album project for multiple remixes of this track, but this is my favorite. Hard to go wrong with VD synthwave.

Spoiler

Northwich Committee of Magic Researches - Shrine of Tempest
The forgotten track, replaced by the infamous Theme of Eastern Story in the Untouched Scores. This remix features heavy percussion reminiscent of the Oriental style, and I think it manages to balance out (perhaps a bit chaotic in the last third).

Spoiler

• Like 2

TTT

Holding this off till last minute (this time intentionally). The show must go on!

situation report (feat. Merami Pop & Yui Katsuragi[?]) - Broken Dreams
The vocalists sound like they're competing with their different melodies toward the end, and this works really well with the arrangement's dark metal. Not something I'd expect for a PC-98 theme, but it works really well.

Spoiler

Artifex - Hakurei ~ Eastern Wind (Remastered)
Technically, this is the first song in Touhou for a proper curtain fire level. There's the ominous build up into leisurely melody, followed by a rapid series of close-together notes before dropping suddenly back to the opening build up; there may not be much to it materially, but all together it makes for a perfect introduction.

Spoiler

Himi no Yuri - Attack! Attack!! Attack!!!
I'll always have less to say about pieces I had to post, since I've necessarily said something already in the description. It was completely coincidence that I had a Eurobeat piece prepared for today; be sure to check out busker's feature in the post above.

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Up 1

TTT

I honestly have not checked if this song has already been mentioned in here, but I discovered this recently thanks to one of Asprey's livestreams. I think I did listen to it for like a hour when he played Spell Bubble as the challenge level was hard to get over during that livestream, then I decided to search the song for myself. I was not disappointed. So anyway, ladies and gentlemen, here is Flame of Fate from THE OTHER FLOWER

Spoiler

Also this cool metal cover from YaboiMatoi for Immemorial Marketeers (bonus Mike GyateGyate)

Spoiler

• Like 3

spacer.png

Mind if I join? 

This channel make me spark (literally) my curiosity further more. By the name of XA10C4, you shall be shock. Introducing Tesla Coil Arrangements.

Spoiler

This is my introduction to mind blowing music of Touhou. (If there isn't more already)

Here's one for the frog loving god.

Spoiler

Damm nice indeed.

Recommend to check 'em out.

• Like 1
  • Up 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned "Touhou Unplugged Classics", I believe they're from different circles and saw a channel reuploading 'em. Sadly I assume the channel got strike. The name was the following, "KakashiMr"

Fret not, For I have save 'em in time in my google drive. Those mainly focus on the classical and jazzy aspect very well. Often you'll get rock pieces indeed.

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

Waito! There's more! Have you played Pokemon and love its soundtracks? Do you like interesting remixes that're "unique" but switching the rhythm left and right, all and all creating pleasure for your ears? Fear not, 'cause you got me here to recommend to ya all.

Spoiler

Very brilliant take on Flan's theme. That BW2 brings nostalgia ain't it? Over all, this might be my favorite mix for U.N Owen beside Unplugged Classic 1.  

The awesome doesn't stop there. Here take a listen!

Spoiler

It has a feeling of ascending and the instruments compliments each other, creating a specular mix.  

But of course, this one is moisture as well. 

Spoiler

This, I have no word for this one. Is truly sounds like it came from BW2 and I'm loving it. There's also Last Remote in snuck in here making it a chef kiss.

Anyways, now that you've summoned me. I'll be here until the end of time sharing stuff.

• Like 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

I believe someone has already mentioned this but enjoy this new MV from Chokofuan.

Spoiler

Mike theme is too cool isn't it?

Last post of the night: since it's still in spring and in the a new year. Might as well do this instead.

Spoiler

Our official Anthem eh? Sukia-dono. Thank you for bringing light to this old tadpole.

Spoiler

Simply not enough. We'll have the best night ever. Wash away your worries, Everyone raise your sake cups and yell ~Bonsai. Bonsai.. Bonsai...  Zun-dono Bonsai~

Edited by Gou the frog
Unrelated: Spring is really magical. Sir Rick May passed away and Zun-dono got married. Hence, Both community made songs for the two legends every year. o7
  • Like 2

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

4 hours ago, buskerdog said:

I haven't been keeping on top of everything posted here lately, so I've had some catching up to do. This has not been a disappointing catching-up session.

Don't worry lad, this should be a refresher. I've found an album playlist. Consisting 11 of  'em.

Spoiler

5 hour Touhou music combining all albums, Nothing can go wrong with it lads.

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

On 5/2/2022 at 10:52 PM, Gou the frog said:

Last post of the night: since it's still in spring and in the a new year. Might as well do this instead.

Hide contents

Our official Anthem eh? Sukia-dono. Thank you for bringing light to this old tadpole.

i cry everytime

• Like 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

I believe this's a good time to post this absolute gold of a channel. You don't see too much music box arranges of Touhou but here, one is determined to arrange all of Touhou, official or not even remastering one's work. I've been holding on to it for a while and it's the perfect opportunity to share.

Spoiler

A playlist for the current ones.

Don't forget to check out "The Sea that Reflects One's Home Planet", "Primordial Beat ~ Pristine Beat", "Legend of Horai" versions.

Spoiler

For the old playlist.

• Like 2

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

@Gou the frog Not the ambitious project, but potentially an honorary companion considering the volume: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLADHzEaWA6KAU6VfZBMmhErDn-qoe7fvO

LndWnd - End of Daylight ~ Dawn of Dark
I'm not confident in my genre identification for this piece (nor in my choice of artwork, but Noroiko is even harder to search for than Elis).

Spoiler

Mama Purity - Power of Darkness RMX (Remake)
I remember back when I thought this was the full extent of EDM; thanks to the tournaments, and especially Shionne, that is no longer the case.

Spoiler

Stone McKnuckle - World of Empty Dreams
Hidden gems like this are why I'm committed to this current project. The acoustic [hybrid] intro is enough to carry an arrangement on its own, but the main body of the track stands out just as much. There isn't much more Touhou in the artist's repertoire, but I'd still recommend checking out some of his other works.

Spoiler

• Like 3

TTT

43 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Stone McKnuckle - World of Empty Dreams

WAIT WHAAAAAAAAAAAT??? STONE MCKNUCKLE HAS TOUHOU STUFF???????

I was literally re-listening to his Mega Man X remixes yesterday and was like "I wonder if he has Touhou stuff" had a look on the channel page and COMPLETELY MISSED THESE.

Also, Stone McKnuckle is quite a throwback for me, was listening to his MMX stuff like Spark Mandrill Remix long before I became learned in Touhou. In fact, I must have first listened to him around the same time I was listening to DJ the S, where I was inavertedly exposed to Touhou.

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 3:59 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

LndWnd - End of Daylight ~ Dawn of Dark

‼️
END OF DAYLIGHT
oh man a very underrated track, definitely one of my favorite.
anyway about the remix, kinda hoping it mastered better, or maybe it's because the compression hmm....

On 5/7/2022 at 5:01 PM, Gou the frog said:

I believe this's a good time to post this absolute gold of a channel. You don't see too much music box arranges of Touhou but here, one is determined to arrange all of Touhou, official or not even remastering one's work. I've been holding on to it for a while and it's the perfect opportunity to share.

Reveal hidden contents

A playlist for the current ones.

Don't forget to check out "The Sea that Reflects One's Home Planet", "Primordial Beat ~ Pristine Beat", "Legend of Horai" versions.

Reveal hidden contents

For the old playlist.

did a quick listen, basically just jumping through tracks and picked the ones that piqued my interest.
Shrine of the Wind is definitely my favorite

• Like 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Extremely late! My fault, though. Glad I already have these prepared . . .

Hazama Yuutou - Bet on Death [EoSD Style]
This is a "targetted" zunish, trying to transpose the source material into the style of a different entry in the series. While this isn't the best example thereof, it showcases the kind of changes that take place in the endeavor; the lead instrument, the accompaniment style, etc. It also demonstrates the potential of the PC-98 themes have to compare with the newer themes, for those who struggle with the unique sound.

Spoiler

Elice - Rubrum Pythonissam
The infamous Himorogi, Burn in Violet, but with an even more cryptic title. For as acclaimed as this piece is, I'm surprised I don't hear more remixes of it (granted, that could be said of many PC-98 themes).

Spoiler

K2HAmu - Love Color Restraint
I spent some time deliberating whether to consider Love Colored Magic and Love Colored Master Spark as separate remix sources. My decision was determined by the desire to find a remix that specifically credited Magic over Master Spark; they do exist, but they aren't usually worth the trouble to pick out from the rest. The only other track this should be relevant to is Maiden's Capriccio (Flower View's remixes are in too close proximity of their originals to differ by much, and I say this as someone who prefers the Flower View version of Phantom Ensemble).

Spoiler

• Like 2

TTT

I've scoped into this channel a long time ago since it appeared in my recoomandtion and I lost it for a year.... though I've found it again.

They go by the name of "Phantom Record" (幻音録) another circle to add but the melody they create is... how do I say this? Oh, they're like Joyful style switching emotions and tones in songs as they do a good job telling the songs' feel. (Don't mind my horrible music sense I do believe Ken would have handled it better than me) Alright, this one is too unique since I can't tell this is Native Faith or not 'cause when I check the other versions they do not sound the same at all and I thought it was mixed? Oh boy, I was right! They mixed old classic songs of japan? dignified blooming flower (凛として咲く花の如く) and Clap and cheer song? (拍手喝采歌合) They sounds so magnificent together when mixed; the intro and the back just sounds so memorable and to top it of, there's native faith sprinkled in the middle.

Spoiler

And there is one more....  It's a bit off putting As ScarletFlameFlandre exclaim "So obviously a lot of confusion around this, and I clearly could not be bothered to research at the time. The theme is originally from the soundtrack of Mrs. Estacion, a vertical danmaku shooter made by 楓実クルト. The music here appears to have been remastered and used as Nitori's theme in a fanmade Touhou 10 mod, a Phantasm stage called MoF After Extra." And Yes, it appears to be from a bullet hell game inspired by Touhou and the track itself have been remastered in a fan made mode "MoF After Extra" A bit odd since I've heard of the music (In a Friday Night Funkin Touhou mode- Broken moon) before I got recommended and in the next week this got particular theme got mentioned on a another comment section of Touhou shitpost? and they said "The only fanmade Touhou music I like is sentence of death" and alas, I've heard of the sound but didn't know the name but here it is-  Maiden's Short Life ~ Sentence of death

Spoiler

This one has a lot of mysterious vibe and I believe the extra songs are strings? Yeah, overall very good style.

• Like 1
  • Up 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

On 5/15/2022 at 1:01 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

Elice - Rubrum Pythonissam
The infamous Himorogi, Burn in Violet, but with an even more cryptic title. For as acclaimed as this piece is, I'm surprised I don't hear more remixes of it (granted, that could be said of many PC-98 themes).

eyy i love this one
PC-98 music is simply generally overlook, really disappointing how people just stick to one thing (DAMN YOU EOSD)

On 5/15/2022 at 3:16 PM, Gou the frog said:

I've scoped into this channel a long time ago since it appeared in my recoomandtion and I lost it for a year.... though I've found it again.

They go by the name of "Phantom Record" (幻音録) another circle to add but the melody they create is... how do I say this? Oh, they're like Joyful style switching emotions and tones in songs as they do a good job telling the songs' feel. (Don't mind my horrible music sense I do believe Ken would have handled it better than me) Alright, this one is too unique since I can't tell this is Native Faith or not 'cause when I check the other versions they do not sound the same at all and I thought it was mixed? Oh boy, I was right! They mixed old classic songs of japan? dignified blooming flower (凛として咲く花の如く) and Clap and cheer song? (拍手喝采歌合) They sounds so magnificent together when mixed; the intro and the back just sounds so memorable and to top it of, there's native faith sprinkled in the middle.

Hide contents

don't worry i have the worst sense of music in this place

yeah i found this music a while ago and heck i loved it
the translation in the comments is a bit flawed but.... good enough yeah

also wdym by joyful i dont feel it at all, the whole song feel tragic for me.

talk about translation
i translated this one by someone request, check comments (reply) i just posted

Spoiler

凋叶棕 - self-claim existance

also few more i wanted to share
this has been a heavy post, hope you can take it
both below is male vocal

Spoiler

ジャく Jaku, taken from Amanojaku
this circle is a mix of Monochrome Coat and Sally (both are my favorite btw) just formed to create one ISC album
well.. technically two albums but the first one just a demo of the latter.

for some reason i really love mellow songs about Seija, probably influenced by her lore and ideals

ジャく - ghost

idk anything about this circle
but i found this and loved it

劇情テノール - lychee tea

the reason why im not doing really good in the music tourney is because ive been posting the good music in this topic
Help.png.f57b7e26655160d850b0383c698a8ef1.png

• Like 2