Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

Ken Hisuag

On 11/13/2021 at 4:12 PM, buskerdog said:

I'm personally not in a rush for the next one myself, seeing as we've done quite a number of these by now.

Understandable. I just wanted clarification concerning formalities. I figure we won't want to start one in the middle of the holiday season, so if no one else brings it up I'll wait till next year.

I've been exploring some new genres lately. Nothing too extreme, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Spoiler

ziki_7 - Riverside View
"Acid jazz," and coincidentally from ziki_7 of recent Sunken Sorrow fame!

Violet Delta - Mid-Autumn Snow
"Italo disco," with a kinda-sorta relevant title.

I'd like to have something relating to Thanksgiving, but I am no closer to determining a thematic genre than I was last year (beyond basic folk). But I'll post these anyway.

Spoiler

TAMUSIC - Droplet of Broken Moon ~ Autumn Feast
Relevant title? It doesn't seem to be implicated in the arrangement, though . . .

Luster - Scarlet Apples
Still not "harvest-themed," but better. Deceivingly simplistic, but balanced.

• Up 1

TTT

• 2 weeks later...

Back from an unplanned week off, having dived directly into the Christmas season. None of these arrangements are associated with the upcoming holiday, but I'm sure something will pop up before the year is up.

Spoiler

Arumi - Greenwich in the Sky
A fairly straightforward remix that nonetheless appeals to me in some way. Something about the uncommon yet clean sound I suppose.

The Nimon - Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye
Despite being from what appears to be a small-time artist (at least for now), this has quite a professional sound. It may go on a bit longer than I'd like, but it still deserves some recognition.

CLAWZ - Hidden Teahouse
Sampling still isn't something I appreciate very much, but it's easily tolerated when backed by a quality arrangement. This piece balances out nicely, and maintains the forward progression I'm always looking for in music.

• Like 1

TTT

It's late. I'm late.

Luckily, I had some pieces prepared.

Spoiler

maritumix - Resonance
I really appreciate maritumix's style, but I wish he wouldn't do Hartmann's Youkai Girl and Desire Drive so often.

Hooded Edge - Swords of Disorder ~ The Last Judgement
A "new" chiptune artist, in as much as I haven't come across them before. It sounds a bit like PC-98, but it's actually SNES apparently.

Viruzio - Touhou: Player Score
For such a simple motif, this is finely handled. I detect a degree of sentiment that lends itself to the arrangement's tone.

• Like 1

TTT

I was hoping some circle or other would do a Christmas style Perpetual Snow remix, but it hasn't happened, so Imma settle for this.

Spoiler

Stas Gavrik - The Perpetual Snow of Komakusa Blossoms (Ambient Ver.)
I'm not really a fan of Gavrik's style, but I know others are, so . . .

This one labels itself as Christmas themed, and it does seem to carry elements thereof despite being primarily a straightforward metal piece.

Spoiler

RoundLoudness - To you who spend the frozen eternal Xmas
Thematically appropriate or not, it's a good arrangement (feels a bit short for its structure, though).

This last one is a reshare, because I can't find anything else as suitable for the occasion.

Spoiler

Lowlands Blossom - The Magical Tale of Marisa Kirismas
This remains my favorite LB remix, and potentially of the source piece itself.

• Like 1

TTT

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all! I seek to start the year off strong, so this is one of those especially good arrangements I've been keeping saved for a while.

Spoiler

fromadistance - Imperishable Night
One of those beautiful instrument blends that falls just outside of orchestral without becoming something else.

I hope anyone seeing this is doing alright. It's felt rather quiet here of late. God be with us all in these times.

• Like 1

TTT

13 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

It's felt rather quiet here of late.

True, I guess there's not much topic of conversation at the moment. I'll go and nag Jssf for another remix tournament. I think I'm going to stop doing monthly round-ups now as it takes more effort to make the posts than you'd think (and I didn't do one for last month anyway) but that doesn't mean I'm out of good arrangements to share!

Consider this a sort of mini-roundup for december. I've got a random assortment of genres this time.

Spoiler

SPEEEEEEEN YaboiMatoi - Dark Side of Fate

Applice - Sanctuary

Demetori - Kid's Festival ~ Innocent Treasures

Echoes Construction - If Your Eyes Are Jade Colour

• Like 1

I almost posted this one closer to New Years, but figured I'd save it for later. This isn't that much later . . . Best to be careful this close to a tournament.

Spoiler

maritumix - Tomorrow Will Be Illuminated Again ?
A much calmer piece than expected, and doesn't at all feel like a four minute track. Very nice.

• Up 2

TTT

Saturday was busy, consider this makeup.

Also RT7 is active, so focusing on original works for now.

Spoiler

Consonances & Dissonances - Euphonious Phantom Act [1]
Why yes, this is an entire third of an album with cut-scenes. I haven't watched the video, but I have listened to the music, and I think the idea is novel enough to showcase here. I also can't remember if I've showcased the circle here before. Probably? Regardless, check them out if you haven't and are into Touhou original projects.

TTT

I had taken to collecting original pieces for usage during tournaments. But now I have more tracks than I could possibly need, so this week will be a quick offload of some more familiar names in recent times.

Spoiler

Eban (MiragEden[?]) - Foam Shadow's Flower Blooming in the Night Sky (Live Ver.) ~ Ephemeral Dream
Some obvious inspiration from Egoistic Flowers, but the motif is original. This is probably my favorite out of these three.

Aka Kyuketsuki - Undecided Fate of the Altered Strings ~ Idnis Mix
A "remastered" piece from the album Traces of Utopian Civilisation.

Miki Hiroyuki - The Hell's Supreme Monster ~ Behemoth's Blades
Nansei has always been a bit hit-or-miss for me, but this one's definitely a hit.

Also . . .

Spoiler

I don't remember hearing anything about this track, although I do recall two others in the past year or so. I guess he's starting to do one-off compositions more often? Provided they're publicized properly, I certainly have no complaints.

ZUN - Red Every Day ~ Folksy Touhou days.

TTT

15 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Also . . .

Reveal hidden contents

I don't remember hearing anything about this track, although I do recall two others in the past year or so. I guess he's starting to do one-off compositions more often? Provided they're publicized properly, I certainly have no complaints.

ZUN - Red Every Day ~ Folksy Touhou days.

oh i guess Beatmario is now the Touhou Official Channel

i havent heard this one
i heard primordial beat at beginning, then i guess it's original then followed by maiden cappricio.
where marisa?

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

• 2 weeks later...

One last round, once again belated. I need to expand my repertoire of ZUNish composers; too many of my collected features are from the same people. Hopefully I'm better prepared next time.

Spoiler

yoiyami - Forest of Silver 2020 Ver.

GhoulMage - World Conflagration ~ HE DONE IT!
A more out-of-the-way discovery. The title and image make me think of Len'en, but no direct confirmation.

Ichigo-Paprika - I Made a Song for the Captain Without Permission

TTT

A recent request from @Josecrist led me searching for a multilingual vocal arrangement of Doll of Misery. Ultimately I didn't find the desired piece before the inquirer rediscovered it, but I can still share some of the other things I came across.

Spoiler

Avlönskt - Bad Apple!! (Multilanguage Cover)
The key word "multilingual" immediately turned up this vocal cover of Cloudjumper's Bad Apple!! remix. The balancing could be better, but the performance is extraordinarily clean.

Dave Eddy - Doll of Misery (Metal Mix)
While clearly a cover, the performance and sound quality on this is worth experiencing.

Artifex - Doll's Story ~ Doll of Misery
This is one of those examples where I might want another term between "cover" and "remix." I should add "remaster" to those extra term in the tournament post . . .

Wrapping up with the Alioth arrangement (remix? metamix?) alluded to but not posted in the aforementioned request post. I looked it up, and it turned out to be really good.
Alioth - reflection

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

I decided to go for a laid-back theme this week. Enjoy these low-energy relaxation pieces.

Spoiler

MUON KAGURA - Goodbye. Thank You.
Slight swing, as opposed to full on swing.

Bit2 - BAD APPLE but it's in Major Key
I appreciate how much can be effected by this relatively basic premise.

N+ - ann ~calm warm Remix~
The major key idea applied and built upon.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

TTT