Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

Ken Hisuag

On 10/1/2021 at 4:59 PM, Asirmoth said:

Oh, i would also be grateful for recommending me any touhou artists/doujin circles that focus on uplifting trance.

You can try to check out some Levo Lution works (afaik they have some non-touhou works as well but most of them are quite dated too)

small example:

Spoiler

Nami Haven 2 albums may work:

Spoiler

Spoiler

and if you don't mind a vocal and trance in general (you can get most of them in non-vocal version too):

Eastnewsound: 

Spoiler

Amateras Records:

SPACELECTRO should have some too but they're covering vast genres fields so you most likely would need to look for them yourself:

(Prog House in this case)

Spoiler

556mm 東方:

Spoiler

Rolling Contact (天音) same as above covers vast multi genres so you have to look for them yourself

Spoiler

that's all i can think of for now but there could be probably a few more

hope you like them!

• Up 2

It appears my work is cut out for me this week. Being that I do not frequent the finer hard synth subgenres, I do not have a great many trance pieces on standby. I share what I do have, however.

Spoiler

Emdasche - Pure Furies

TrainerSam - Absolute

Hachimitsu-Lemon - Stardust Ensemble -LNB7 Remix-

Granted, just because the video title says it's trance doesn't mean it is. I'm not entirely sure what defines the genre, so I'll put these two in a separate drop-down box.

Spoiler

SOUND HOLIC - EXISTENCE

ESQUARIA - Fake Moon

• Like 1

TTT

it's October
time to bring out the spook

Spoiler

Classic Mama Purity
even better it's Fragrant Plants Arrange

i also wanted to share this one from Xenoglossy, quite an obscure name.
this has really Heavy Halloween Metal feels in it

i also recommend an album from IOSYS
Haunted Halloween Town, 10 tracks
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ6Y-iFclHvaFw2aN8ihtCqso_ic0VAa5

• Like 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Factory Noise & AG - Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17

I'd classify this as an orchestral remix, but not the standard all-out kind. Starts out simply, and builds up gradually. It's not an explosive arrangement, but the celtic folk elements sprinkled in give it a roaming sort of progression. It has some nice original interludes, too.

Spoiler

jesterdist - Nuclear Fusion

This one's more intense, but also utilizes a build up to get there. I'm still not satisfied with the loop transition, but that's to be expected. The instrumentation choices here are varied and unique, but complimentary. I'm not sure what category I'd put this in; it doesn't seem quite symphonic metal, but I suspect that was the intended genre.

Spoiler

• Like 2

TTT

Without any themes or timely discoveries to go off of this week, I'm doing a small variety mix.

chair - Flowery Words of the Worst Bad Luck Duo
Despite some potential quality issues in the soundfonts themselves, this arrangement blends together its contrasting styles very well! The piece maintains its original energy while creating serene moments throughout.

Spoiler

Kaioshi K - Doll Judgement ~ The Girl Who Played With People's Shapes - UM Mix
This is another ZUNish remix. It uses different sides of its focused style to add dynamic to the piece, which successfully enhances its progression in a rather unique way.

Spoiler

Bit2 - Letty's Theme
Here's something more low-energy to contrast with the other two pieces. I enjoy seeing Bit2's diverse instrumentation, including instances of creative utilization of non-instrument objects.

Spoiler

That should do for now.

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

1 hour ago, Ken Hisuag said:

chair - The Very Worst of the Chinese Language

ummm... what?

Yeah I think I can confidently say that's mistranslated. I'm not sure where "Chinese" comes from, because there isn't any trace of that word in the original kanji title, which surprisingly is something I can tell just by looking at it.

The kanji 華 means flower. Whether the saying "Flowery language" has a meaning in Japanese like it does in English, I don't know, so I can't say for sure what the translation is. But what's written literally is something like "Flower words".

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, buskerdog said:

Yeah I think I can confidently say that's mistranslated.

Believe me, I was well aware of the short comings of this translation. As I do not know a sufficient amount of Japanese, I must needs rely upon Google Translate to provide a basic guide. Usually I can work out something that sounds reasonable (if of questionable accuracy) from there. I wasn't sure what to do with this, though . . .

Spoiler

1038903677_WorstLanguageTranslation.thumb.PNG.2fb5d32f6366ead463fc73f85cab1398.PNG

. . . so I did the best I could. I appreciate the partial illumination.

TTT

最凶最悪の華言葉
sai kyou saiaku no hana kotoba

letsee 最凶 "sai kyou" the kanji together means 'the worst'. i think they should be read separately.
not to be confused with 最強 "saikyou" which means 'the strongest'.
if separated, 最 'sai' means 'the most/extreme'.
凶 'Kyou' means 'bad luck/disaster' as we know this kanji is often related to Yorigami sisters.
that kanji is more closely related to evil and wickedness than 厄 'yaku' which related to Hina, is more like a misfortune.

最悪 'saiaku' is the standard meaning of 'the worst' there's no word play in this

華 'hana' means 'flower'
but if you know 花 'hana' also means 'flower'
what's the difference? why dont they use the kanji 花 that we usually know?

the difference is 華 is used metaphorically, in example: referring a girl as a flower華
while 花 is literal flower, the plant.
and as i said in the example earlier, this kanji 華 refer to those two girls

言葉 'kotoba' is just the standard meaning for 'language/words/expression/speech' or to be literal 'piece of what we say'

*cough*

so yeh to put it all together 最凶 was referring to Yorigamis sisters as the badluck duo
but how are we gonna combine 最凶 and 最悪? what would it mean?
and adding the rest and keeping the mind that 華 is also referring those girls...

really crude translation would say 'the flowers worst words of bad luck'
but every word from god is a blessing(or curse if we talking about those two) right?
aybe 'the flowers worst curse of disaster'
'the flowers worst disastrous words'
is it a stretch? i dont feel like it but yeah i cant think better

• Thanks 2

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

18 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Bit2 - Letty's Theme
Here's something more low-energy to contrast with the other two pieces. I enjoy seeing Bit2's diverse instrumentation, including instances of creative utilization of non-instrument objects.

Hide contents

i cant' believe he used the dog as instrument

i really like this one, he got nakasako vibes although different genre

also today's genre
Ethnic/Ethno or something like that
y'know that folk music with hymms and choir chant thingy

Spoiler

and the spotlight today is M.H.S Mizonokuchi Hole Studio
seems to do other genres as well but just focus on the ethno for now

Spoiler

a beautiful piece
they seems like to use 3/4 signature in their ethno
which done it even better

and another one
feels like this has more emphasis on waltz.
cant seem to hear mystia theme in it, can you?

and for assorted circles

Spoiler

you may remember i posted this here before?
Diao Ye Zong - el magia
apparently this also count as ethno

another one from Shinra-Bansho - Song of Companion
has more hope and adventurous feel in it

one more i cant stop
these songs are too good

Secret Messenger - Piece of Memory & Refrain of Memory
a very calm piece for closing up

i love rural makai esoteria

• Like 2

Cuttin' close tonight. I articulated an unmade decision, and was indirectly directed to these two "bossa nova" remixes. Enjoy.

Spoiler

Demetori - Beloved Tomboyish Girl ~ Killer Tune
I wouldn't have expected something like this from Demetori, but they clearly have the skill for it.

Ringing Volcano - Strawberry Tango
I know nothing of this circle, but given the circumstances I should probably consider looking them up.

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

holyshit didnt realize we have over 300

image.png.ecde0969fbfdc98857f4e33e0cee933e.png

also

On 10/24/2021 at 12:02 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

I know nothing of this circle

that circle previously known as Machikado Mapoze. y'know my top fav circle
after disbanded, the lead Nakasaso Sakana made this new circle with the remaining member.

and for today i'd like to show this circle
wujiu~うーじう~
mainly focused on acoustic guitar

Spoiler

Totally love this one.
sounds like a Garage Rock to me.
Reminds me of a band whose i dont wanna name from Scott Pilgrim vs The World.
some may not like the whistlin but it's growin on me.

this one sounds cheerful
as it's name Sunny Tomorrow

They even have Surf Rock

a bit of rant, much sadness

Spoiler

y'know Noe-Eno, or known as Sakura Yukke さくらゆっけ, the surf rock arranger?
no? anyway i often post their musics here previously
i just came across the announcement that they've passed away September 2019
feels really bad since i really love their stuff.

this is a packed post

• Like 1

17.5 is finally out, and most of the recent music content is related to the two (kind of) new tracks. Both are reminiscent of my favorite 17 piece, and Memory of Fossil Energy  is especially good. Considering the new gameplay style, I might actually try this game (might be a while, though).

Spoiler

Lowlands Blossom - Foulest Blossoms
This is a joint remix of both the new themes, since they're both structured around the same leitmotif. Have we had a multi-game leitmotif aside from Theme of Eastern Story before? I suppose Necro-Fantasy might count . . .

I also randomly came across this thing, and I get the impression it's one of those "classic remixes," like Night of Nights or the IOSYS collection. Can't say it's up my alley, but not everything needs to be.

Spoiler

Astral Trip - Broken Moon (Koko & Satsuki ga Tenkomori's Operation Nuisance Remix)
I'm also not entirely sure someone else didn't post this here already (probably DF).

To balance things out, I'll add this "darksynth" Bad Apple!! remix in. I think it sounds surprisingly fresh, though that may just be the absence of the melody for its majority.

Spoiler

Astrophysics - Bad Apple!! darksynth /80s remix (instrumental ver.)
The vocal version uses a recording from another project, and I don't think it blends well enough. Just perceptual preference, though.
The visuals are kinda neat, for all that they're the same segments as always (with an extra overlay thrown in at the end).

TTT

I'm back for another monthly posting of songs. This time, I was actually able to narrow down to a small number of them to feature.

BTW, I might be a bit disengaged from Touhou for the time being while I await the 17.5 translation patch. iirc Touhou 18 actually got translated really quickly so I might not have too long to wait, but then again, Tasofro games have been known to be difficult to actually get working with the patching program.

Spoiler

Lapis Moss - Secret Charm

556mm - Thank you for

SOUND HOLIC - Candy Powder

• Like 1

Please forgive my retreading of recently covered categories; fresh finds are most fun to share fresh.

There are a lot of "Touhou-style" remixes of themes from other games, but I find a lot of them don't quite accomplish sufficiently relatable levels of zunish. This arrangement manages it multiple times in a single remix, and has the added bonus of impressive illustrations.

Spoiler

少年/not-world - BIG SHOT (SpamtonNEO Battle Theme)

Miki Hiroyuki put her hand to the recent compositions of Touhou 17.5, and delivered something quite impressive. I'm glad she's doing more remixes of late.

Spoiler

Lenk64 - Fossil Energy

And finally, to somewhat justify this feature with something more akin to the threads standard offerings, a Shinra-Bansho arrangement I found a while back. No animation this time, but it may be up there with my favorites from them. As expected, high production quality and clever twists upon the source motifs.

Spoiler

Shinra-Bansho - Revolutionary bullet

• Up 1

TTT

Feelin' chill today, so posting a chill remix.

Spoiler

Caffeine Addict - Drunk as I like but it's "lofi" I guess
I'd describe this arrangement as "cute," and not just for the visuals either. The source material's tone lends itself to a silly interpretation, which blends into this genre to become quintessential chill. Overall, very pleasant to listen to. :)

Unrelated side notes:

Spoiler

Sunken Sorrow's soundtrack still hasn't been made available, either formally or informally, aside from some scattered Youtube videos. Yesterday Tasofro announced the release of the official soundtrack CD, but it looks like it's going to be one of those event exclusive things. I'm not sure how things will proceed from there.

Spoiler

At the end of the most recent remix tournament, I asked about hosting responsibilities. Whoever it is technically determines when the next tournament takes place. The question was unresolved, and given it's been about two-and-a-half months I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.

TTT

5 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

At the end of the most recent remix tournament, I asked about hosting responsibilities. Whoever it is technically determines when the next tournament takes place. The question was unresolved, and given it's been about two-and-a-half months I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.

I'm certainly on the same page of not knowing who's doing it lol. The one I hosted was only the one before the most recent, so I still don't really want to go again. If no one else wants to, we could ask Jssf if he'll do the next one, seeing as he's the "normal" host.

As for the question of when... I'm personally not in a rush for the next one myself, seeing as we've done quite a number of these by now. The translation status of th17.5 is also a contributor to this feeling. But I agree that it is starting to feel like it could be time for one. If we were to start one right now, I'd ask that we exclude songs from Touhou 17.5; hopefully that doesn't get in the way of much, as I understand that that game didn't add many original songs, as is often the case with Tasofro spinoffs.

• Thinking 1

On 11/14/2021 at 12:36 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

Caffeine Addict - Drunk as I like but it's "lofi" I guess
I'd describe this arrangement as "cute," and not just for the visuals either. The source material's tone lends itself to a silly interpretation, which blends into this genre to become quintessential chill. Overall, very pleasant to listen to. :)

hi i've been summoned

pretty nice, i can see myself chilling to this.
not the lofi i expected, i was expecting lofi ambient but yes this count as lofi, probably lofi edm but idk lol

this also something chill, i think this genre is called R&B RnB

Spoiler

cant rember if ive put this here but rare stuff
actually the only Inner Heart arrange i found

also

On 11/14/2021 at 12:36 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

Sunken Sorrow's soundtrack still hasn't been made available

about that news, this just dropped.
They selling physical copy of th17.5 and OST 28th of November in retail stores.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/satorionechan-koishi/archives/36374352.html
no idea about the Digital copy release for the OST.

• Up 1