it's summer

Spoiler

you can guess the genre and mood by the image

this arrangement is hella beautiful, feels flawless
and considering this was made back in (end of) 2006

rant or something similar:

Spoiler

after extensive research
i found out one of the member(artist) just (very)suddenly vanished from existence a year ago, which looooking at current situation, i dont feel very hopeful.
they also made doujin manga under the same circle name btw.
it's one of the consequences for looking back too far i guess, growing an attachment to something with so much time had passed.

it's inevitable but it just sucks thinking about it

spacer.png

• Like 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

As promised, Marine Benefit.

Whether merely perceived or actual, I detect a minimalist style to this soundtrack, at least in comparison to typical Touhou compositions. There are often less layers and countermelodies to these tracks, though the motifs themselves are sufficiently dynamic. Many of the videos I looked at for this feature had comments that implied a heavy inspiration to canon themes in the motif composition, and I have to admit I can somewhat hear what they mean. Nonetheless, they manage to be enjoyable pieces in their own right with the bonus effect of the thematic tone.

Spoiler

Stage 1 Theme - Grandeur of the Ocean ~ Fantastic Sea

Stage 3 Boss - The Singing Leader Looks Up to the Sky (Remastered)
I had to go with an extended video for this theme, as I was unable to find the remastered version elsewhere.

Extra Stage Theme - Footsteps of Trieste

I also chanced across this remix during my searching, and felt inclined to include it in the feature.

Spoiler

MinunQ - Grandeur of the Ocean ~ Fantastic Sea (8-bit)

TTT

On this day, I will feature the soundtracks of Touhou 1 ~ Highly Responsive to Prayers. As of now, I have yet to find confirmation for my suspicions concerning this phenomenon: there are three different variations of this game's OST. First is the original, which is unique from the rest of the series as ZUN was still developing his style.

Spoiler

Next would be the later "remastered" version that was done for Akyu's Untouched Score Vol.5, with revised instrumentation and overall a higher quality of compositions.

Spoiler

Finally, there's the third one. Often it sounds exactly like Akyu's, but when compared directly to each other differences become notable. I've used the clearest example I could for this feature.

Spoiler

My current working hypothesis is that this third soundtrack came from Mystic Square's music room. I am unable to verify this myself, but it would explain a few things (including the Theme of Eastern Story's relationship to Silk Road Alice).

TTT

7 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

My current working hypothesis is that this third soundtrack came from Mystic Square's music room. I am unable to verify this myself, but it would explain a few things

If I remember correctly, I think the version of Touhou 1's soundtrack featured in Touhou 5's music room is indeed a remastered version. Not sure if this applies for the other games featured in Touhou 5's music room.

• Thinking 1

I don't expect to have capability to return for the rest of today, so I'm doing this now.

There was a number of organ solos featured in the recent tournament. This is one I found (at least it is for about half the video before it randomly decides to add accompaniment).

Spoiler

やぶせん - Stein der Kirche

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

This month's roundup is a collection of metal and rock things.

Spoiler

CROW'SCLAW - Immortal Madness

RichaadEB - Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room [Guitar Cover]
It's safe for me to post Patchouli videos again right?

SYNC.ART'S - 空舞う八咫の烏

Riverside - 桜花散華

Riverside - Like a Faint Light

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 2

Oh yeah i need to remind y'all
might be useful in tourney or even just sharing
please be aware with the kbps quality with y'all posts
it does really affect your first impression 

3 hours ago, buskerdog said:

SYNC.ART'S - 空舞う八咫の烏

lol i just listened to this a while ago
i really like the 0:34-0:40, the arrogance, so exuberant!
the vocal really suits this arrangement

3 hours ago, buskerdog said:

CROW'SCLAW - Immortal Madness

the first 2 minutes feels really nice, until that electric guitar came in
feel a bit too sharp for my taste
i like my guitars heavy
3:10 wh-uh? repeat? this soon? feels a bit repetitive for such short time aint it?
and later parts are amazing

barely related but i just found this 3 fairies musik
not rock, idk what this genre, pop? cute stuff

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Up 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

On 9/2/2021 at 4:01 PM, Drunken_Flower said:

please be aware with the kbps quality with y'all posts

Forgive my ignorance, but could you clarify this statement a bit farther? I'm assuming it has something to do with streaming speed, but I'm definitely missing something.

I found a new chiptune artist recently by the alias of "asi14." They specialize in PC-98 arrangements. I've included a Seihou remix from them, in case anyone questions the unfamiliar title.

Spoiler

asi14 - Illusionary Sputnik Night

asi14 - Drunk as I Like

asi14 - Shuusou Gyoku ~ Clockworks

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

On 9/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

Forgive my ignorance, but could you clarify this statement a bit farther? I'm assuming it has something to do with streaming speed, but I'm definitely missing something.

not exactly the streaming speed, more like resolution.
just imagine two similar image, one is at 640x360 and the other is 1280x720. The later is higher quality and clearer.
like that but for the audio quality
video resolution is not the same as audio quality
understadn? yes? no? must say yes.
a bit harder for a video since you cant tell unless you have access to the codec information.

ill give you an example instead

Spoiler

here the music from yesterday
listen to the vocals
K2 Sound - fairy stage
Lower Quality (guessed 96 Kbps) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rziZrj7nnPM
Better Quality (guessed 192 Kbps) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwrHFdt0_g

or here from the 5th tourney
bit hard to notice maybe
Lower https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxRJt8sFW0
Better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLY02DtvBjg

also here's an extreme example of compression
[Miskyworks] Daisy Strategy track06 familiar
64 Kbps (you wont find this quality in youtube probably, but still a possibility)
06. familiar.mp3 (2MB)
273 Kbps (weird number lmao)
06. familiar.mp3 (8.7MB)

Youtube audio mainly at 128-192Kbps, wont get any higher, but can lower
Soundcloud usually 192, or when the uploader is generous you can even get 320

you can see the similarities between them is their upload date
newer ones tend to have better quality
but also newbie uploader may also not very experienced with uploading

• Thanks 1

I know I just posted a Touhou-x-Undertale arrangement last week, but Eban's fusion of Cyber's World with Childlike Duo was too good to ignore.

Spoiler

Eban - [Touhou Style Remix] A CYBER'S WORLD?

I'll redeem the situation by expanding the subject of Touhou-style remixes, sometimes called "ZUNish" (or at least that's what I like to call them). Aside from examples of non-Touhou affiliated pieces being remixed into ZUNish, there's a surprising amount of remixes that spin a Touhou piece into the style of a different era of the series. I've shown examples of this before (notably from Paradise of Boundaries and Eban), but there are plenty more that are equally worth sharing.
DF will probably want to skip the second and third features, though.

Spoiler

Moegi - [SC-88 Arrangement] Decoration Battle
This one's something of a stretch, since the SC-88's association with Touhou is a complicated one. It technically still counts imo, and it's a good arrangement.

TechnoByte - U.N. Owen Was Her? [Imperishable Night Mix]
Similar to Paradise of Boundaries, this artist does a lot of these kind of arrangements. Be sure to check out some other ones if you're interested.

Floudeastrophic - G Free ~ Dream of a Colorful Sky
This is a more of a "true" remix, since it does more than just recover a piece into a different style; it may not even count as ZUNish, but it seems close to me. However, even I can tell there's something wrong with the audio, and unfortunately this is the only version available. I recommend turning down your volume before starting.

Hosen - Where is that Bustling Marketplace Now ~ Immemorial Marketeers
Probably the highest quality arrangement here, despite not doing too much with the track. It's not in a specific style, just more generally ZUNish. Part of me appreciates this more than the original, but that's probably just adjustment bias (I tend to go through the same thing with every new game).

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

talk about mashups
there's an album from Konekkodakkaiya
World Rock Classics ~幻想古典再現~
really good for old man like myself
info and tracklist: https://music.douban.com/subject/7003692/

Spoiler

track 1: Queen - I was Born to Love You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O68EmzzIV6k
track 2: Eagles - Hotel California
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-bfdgt2aY
track 3: Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NL6FDUo4uk
track 4: Stevie Wonder - Superstition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hujpoxUKhY
track 5: Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
i choose to embed this one since this the most iconic

• Up 1

It's time for this month's roundup. And I have way too much I want to post! There are actually some songs in here which I would've liked to give their own posts when I found them, so I'll do those first. Guess this is a reminder to self that I still ought to do regular posts sometimes.

Spoiler

I have been absolutely loving this Halozy song recently! It reminds me that trance songs are what got me into the whole doujin music sphere in the first place, so I'm sure going to listen to more of their stuff.

The other noteworthy thing: a new Shinra Bansho song featuring BeatMARIO vocals? Heck yeah!

And now, onto the other stuff, which is simply a list of very high quality vocal songs, mostly (but not all) falling into the 'rock' category.

Spoiler

Silver Forest - Keep the Faith

Frost Fragment - Reminiscence of the Big Tree ~Seeding~

SYNC.ART'S - Scarlet World

TUMENECO - ひとつよがりの逃避行

Finally is this song by EastNewSound. I won't lie, pretty much the only reason I clicked was because I thought the big "YES" in the thumbnail was funny, but both the music and PV were very good so I was not disappointed.

EastNewSound - contrivance

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, buskerdog said:

I have been absolutely loving this Halozy song recently! It reminds me that trance songs are what got me into the whole doujin music sphere in the first place, so I'm sure going to listen to more of their stuff.

Deconstruction Star actually was one of the very first songs that got me into doujin/touhou music as well

Same goes to Genryuu Kaiko

Spoiler

Edited by Shionne Imeris
  • Like 1

Just popping in to say that i freaking love maritumix touhou trance remixes, and i would love if someone recommended me more music similar to the tracks below:

Spoiler

Edited by Asirmoth
Moving videos into the spoiler tag
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Asirmoth said:

i would love if someone recommended me more music similar to the tracks below:

Hmmmm

Might these appeal to you?

Spoiler

I'm aware this first one is a repost that I shared before. Also it won't embed so just click the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nPzCWAyYM

This one is slightly different genre but I think it's very good so I went with it. Scarps also does stuff closer to trance though.

• Up 2