Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

Ken Hisuag

I appreciate a remix which makes slight adjustments to the source motif to fit the flow of the arrangement. In this case, the vocal melody is equal parts recognizable and original. On the instrument front, the core of the piece was eurobeat, but contained momentary elements of oriental folk and metal. In short, an unusually good find.

My fullest genre folder is the EDM one (*shrug*), so I'll use a few of those for this week.

Spoiler

I was surprised how balanced this arrangement turned out to be. It knows how to build up on itself, and is relatively laid-back for an EDM-class remix of Pure Furies. There's also plenty of that motif adjustment I mentioned earlier.

This isn't quite an electro-swing remix, but it's leaning in that direction. This turns out to work really well for the source theme; the original Crazy Backup Dancers is another one of those themes that I perceive as unfulfilled potential (for a paragraph of reasons that isn't worth typing out here), but this take does a pretty good job of rectifying the title's concepts.

Found this last one just recently (as is obvious by the upload date). I have a soft spot for Soul as Red for being one of the first Touhou themes I listened to, and I don't come across too many imaginative arrangements of it, so this was a very pleasant find.

• Like 1

TTT

10 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I appreciate a remix which makes slight adjustments to the source motif to fit the flow of the arrangement. In this case, the vocal melody is equal parts recognizable and original. On the instrument front, the core of the piece was eurobeat, but contained momentary elements of oriental folk and metal. In short, an unusually good find.

My fullest genre folder is the EDM one (*shrug*), so I'll use a few of those for this week.

Hide contents

I was surprised how balanced this arrangement turned out to be. It knows how to build up on itself, and is relatively laid-back for an EDM-class remix of Pure Furies. There's also plenty of that motif adjustment I mentioned earlier.

This isn't quite an electro-swing remix, but it's leaning in that direction. This turns out to work really well for the source theme; the original Crazy Backup Dancers is another one of those themes that I perceive as unfulfilled potential (for a paragraph of reasons that isn't worth typing out here), but this take does a pretty good job of rectifying the title's concepts.

Found this last one just recently (as is obvious by the upload date). I have a soft spot for Soul as Red for being one of the first Touhou themes I listened to, and I don't come across too many imaginative arrangements of it, so this was a very pleasant find.

SÆTHER or MAMA PURITY was actually one of my early 2hu source, back when i was hip.
quite interesting how my taste has change over the years eh
probably cause i live calmer life nowadays
my fav from them is SPOOK and Magus Night

also maritumix is on the rise lately

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

@Ken Hisuag

On 12/27/2020 at 3:14 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

Since my recent searches for requested styles of music, my recommended has included an increased representation of these genres. I won't say y'all should expect more of those genres long term, but you can enjoy them while I've got 'em.

Hide contents

The last song from this post is now deleted, and despite my sleuthing around, I haven't been able to deduce what it was. Can you remember?

If anyone remembers / has a way to know what it was, I'd be grateful.

4 hours ago, buskerdog said:

The last song from this post is now deleted, and despite my sleuthing around, I haven't been able to deduce what it was. Can you remember?

Title: Tiara is gone
Circle: Crazy Beats
Album: TOHO EURO SPLASH 1

• Thanks 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

2 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:
6 hours ago, buskerdog said:

Title: Tiara is gone
Circle: Crazy Beats
Album: TOHO EURO SPLASH 1

Spoiler

Right down to the same art feature, I believe! :)

• Thanks 1

TTT

I once considered making a record of submissions for this thread like I have for Other Game Music, but decided against it for fear it would hinder the casual half-hazard approach I have for posting. Still, I tend to remember most of what gets posted, and hopefully anything I forget will be recalled by someone when the need arises.

That being said, it won't hurt me to name the song and artist at the time I post, so I might as well make a habit of doing so (I started heading my tournament reviews that way when I noticed the newly missing entries of past tournaments, so as to have a method of replacing them in future).

This week's feature is apparently a genre known as "glitch hop." It seems to me to ride the line between nu-disco and electro-swing, but I like both those genres so I'm not complaining.

Spoiler

Electron.Mashiro - Fancy a Rotten

Kodemari Koruri - Begin to Love

Sound Square - Footstep

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

19 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

This week's feature is apparently a genre known as "glitch hop." It seems to me to ride the line between nu-disco and electro-swing, but I like both those genres so I'm not complaining.

Aye! i love glitch hop!

i would say glitch hop is really similar to complextro (which reminds electro house) but with lower tempo (90-110 iirc)

but i just really like glitch even though it's melody is based on hip-hop which i don't like

Spoiler

Edited by Dana Iclucia
  • Up 1

To contrast the last two weeks, I checked through my piano remixes and pulled out a couple.

Spoiler

Assaultdoor - Boys and Girls of a Science Era

Hachimitsu Kuma-san - Scattering Flowers

While I was looking, I found this Dancing Water Spray remix that I was looking for back when DF requested SWF arrangements. I figure I put it in this folder by mistake, hence I couldn't find it when I wanted it.

Spoiler

KEIGO KANZAKI - Hexagram Epilogue

TTT

Tomorrow being July 4th, it should be no surprise to anyone that I've got a couple Clownpiece remixes to share today. The first one is comprised both of electro swing and glitch hop, without the two technically mixing; the result is quite unique, though I worry it may be off-putting to a listener who enjoys one style but not the other. To balance it out, we've got CarrotWine's cinematic arrangement.

Spoiler

Mahotoa Tofu Shop - Swish Stars (Extended Swing)

CarrotWine - Clowpiece / The Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner

• Up 1

TTT

I decided to go with a Summer pop theme this week, and discovered that I'm hesitant to post Shinra-Bansho remixes. There's quite a few of them in my "pop" folder; I have this perception that everyone will have already seen them, which doesn't really make sense since it's no more likely then anything else I could use. I'll have to use them eventually, but for now they'll wait.

Spoiler

SOUND HOLIC - Kero Super Days
Standard format doesn't mean it's bad, and I have to admire the fun little flavors of instrumentation that they're playing with (occasional trumpets, the odd pipe organ chord, and even some bells).

R-note - Flowering Lover
I'm not perceptive enough to classify this as an major transposition (I doubt it), but it definitely has a more cheery tone than its source. I find it fresh, and appreciate it for that.

SYNC.ART'S - OPEN MY EYES
Ditto what I said for the last one. Also, I have a concerning suspicion that I've already posted this one, but I couldn't find it when I checked. No matter, though.

TTT

Upon this late night, I figure it's about time I mentioned the Fantasy Kaleidoscope soundtracks. While primarily known for Yuuhei Satellite's vocal pieces, the fanime's bgm does feature a few other remixes worth some attention.

Spoiler

Yuuhei Satellite - Tomboyish Prelude
There's something so charming to this ballet-style remix of the classic theme. It's short (as are all the tracks in this OST), but securely captures its intended atmosphere within that time.

Yuuhei Satellite - Hospitality of Blades ~ Extended Ver.
For the Scarlet Mist Incident arc, they included expanded version of some shorter tracks, turning them into full arrangements. I wish they had continued to do this thereafter, but I'm very glad they at least did it here.

Yuuhei Satellite - Scarlet Gatherings ~ Extended Ver.
As is my want, I have saved my favorite for last. I adore this cozy little piece, and it has remained one of my favorite Touhou remixes since I first heard it in the soundtrack.

TTT

I've been listening to some Touhou 18 remixes from Chocolate Fantasy recently, a Eurobeat circle who are new to me. I was going to share their song MINING & EATING, but I've also been catching up on the posts in this thread from when Unconnected Marketeers released and found that Ken has already shared it, so instead I'm gonna share this Kitten of Great Fortune remix from them that's become my latest addiction.

Spoiler

ChocoFan - LUCKY CAT

I imagine we're going to start seeing a lot more touhou 18 arranges when Autumn Reitaisai comes, as that's the next big event where doujin circles will be selling new releases.

Looking forward to hopefully hearing some Eurobeat of Ore from the Age of the Gods.

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 1

I feel inclined toward rock and metal today, or something along those lines anyway . . .

Spoiler

GaMetal - Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke
It's with arrangements like this that I find myself struggling to explain what's special. The remix is technically straightforward (aside from the obligatory improve-style riffs), leaving most of this pieces material character in the subtle but intelligent creativity in instrument choices (such as the occasion bell and the acoustic intro/outro). But the impression is deeper than the instrumentation; the lively nature of the performance contributes to the music in a way that I am unable to satisfactorily comprehend. Appreciate it, however, I can.

RichaadEB - Pandemonic Planet
Finally a remix of Hectia's theme that helps me to enjoy it! The original Pandemonic Planet is to chaotic for my tastes, and most arrangements I've come across have leaned into that tone without balancing it out. This arrangement manages to keep the menacing air while smoothing over transitions and highlighting the convoluted melody.

xi-on - Boundary of Fantasy
Part of me thinks this is tournament worthy, but I have too many pieces saved up for that already. Less full-on metal and more symphonic experience (not a proper term, but it should suffice), the pacing of this piece is wonderful! I dare say there are V.K style elements here, which is perfect for complimenting the strengths of the original theme into a performance that feels truly fantastical.

• Like 1

TTT

for your metal needs,
been collecting them lately

Spoiler

IRON ATTACK, a classic choice
cant go wrong with them

also since they have Spotify, think that'll be better than posting youtube link.

next one is from Sound Holic
tiger patterned vaisravana is definitely one of my favorite
dunno why i pick this probably because of my bias or something. but this whole album is great.

also Phoenix Project
highly underrated circle, they do mixed genres

anyway this what i wanted to share from the beginning.
i can see why Cannonball gone bankrupt.
wanted to put this in next tourney but yeah...

• Like 2

With the approach of the next remix tournament (still accepting submissions at this time), it's safest for me to focus more on non-remixes here. I've selected a few from names I'm more familiar with.

Spoiler

Synthmusic Solstice - The Lost Papyrus of Alexandria
From one half of Lowlands Blossom, an original boss theme (it sounds more like a stage theme to me, but that's neither here nor there). The reliance on flutes puts me in mind to Mountain of Faith, but I doubt this was an intentional stylistic choice.

Yoiyami - Bootleg Sea of Darkness ~ Jones' Locker
I believe this is another entry in the Annaverse (as in Anna Nguyen). There are hints of Lunatic Kingdom, but they don't seem too strong to me.

Eban - Finn Deimne Fáil ~ Fate of White Young Deer
Fittingly finishing with a final boss theme, this one comparable to Wily Creature. Is it the case that originals often take on the style of the most current game as of their composition? I can only speculate (also, the first piece doesn't fit with that hypothesis anyway).

TTT

I've started making a habit of making a record of the songs I listen to each month. As such, it might start becoming routine for me to post on a monthly basis, as it's a good opportunity to go over what some of my discoveries were and cherry pick some ones to share here. We'll see how consistent I end up being with this.

Spoiler

A-One - LOVE INVASION
I almost submitted this for the remix tournament, but seeing as I didn't, I gotta put it here. Very clever use and blending of the different themes used in this song.

A-One - SNOWiNG
This one features a pretty unusual combination of themes, Necro-Fantasy and Tiger-Patterned Vaisravana. Also Drunken recently mentioned he's a fan of Shou's theme so there's that.

lastly...

"Benbenbenbenbenbenben"
-Stack, probably.

Akatuski Records - VENTEN

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 1
  • Up 1

Back when Ten Desires was announced, there was apparently an unusually active form of speculation concerning the nature of its plot mechanics. Being that I wasn't aware of the fandom back then, I'm unable to tell if there was some explanation for this activity. Part of the result was an entire fangame based off of some earlier theories, complete with its own original music.

I'm putting off that feature for next week, though, because the other project of significance was a fan "completion" of the game after its demo released, from the team behind The Last Comer (in fact, both projects were concurrent and released at about the same time). Four original themes were composed by none other than Wanwan for the bosses, three of which are still available on Youtube (I've had no luck finding the extra stage boss theme). Being that I'm a huge fan of Wanwan, here's the final boss theme he composed for the project: A Light Towards the Dark Skies ~ Heaven Desires.

Spoiler

I'm not a fan of extended music videos (especially when they're something ridiculous like half-an-hour), but this is the best quality sound I could find; thankfully, the loop point is extremely obvious.

This theme features all the best tropes of Touhou final boss music: memorable melody, proper progression, and strong build-up, all with the sounds and instruments that are customary to the series. It may not fit the style of Ten Desires as well as it could, but that doesn't hurt the quality of the song itself.

TTT