Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

Ken Hisuag

On 2/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

You are right to be afraid, and I respect your restraint.

Time for that GET IN THE RING I've been holding back on! I wouldn't say these are my favorites (they might be up there), but I think they're a good representation of the circle's work.

Hide contents

GITR eh?
some of their song indeed in my high list
sadly i haven't listened much to them
one of the reason is intimidated by the sheer amount of arranges they made. (im too lazy)

not so fond of the 2nd song tbh, lookin at the view count and comments i kinda question what's wrong with me???
maybe because they tried to squeeze so much themes in them? yeh i'll just use that excuse :^D
i like other 3, especially the 4th (WAIT holyshit 2M views, i can understand)

and from me, for now i can only think of this from GITR and it's far out genre

Spoiler

Translation in CC

and my rock stuff

Spoiler

a proper opening

englih vocal, not very intense but i love it

and this
i can't find singles uploaded, so yeah the album instead
conveniently it's the first song 00:00-04:18. a rare arrange of Natural History of Childlike Duo from album Dr. Latency Freak Report.
quite a cheerful arrangement for a heavy metal due to the nature of the original song.
ngl but not all in this album is great.
track 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 is good if you wanna spend some time. ゆめのうた (10) is nice and it uploaded a lot elsewhere if you want to listen that individually.

Edited by Drunken_Flower

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Talking about GET IN THE RING now, huh? Yeah, they're a good circle. Although Ken mentioned he was fond of their fun rock arrangements, I was actually more familiar with their more serious and h e a v y stuff, so it's cool to see to that more fun side which is also really good. Anyway, here's some stuff I know from them.

Spoiler

Starting off with my favourite song from them, which I found last month. When I originally found this I wanted to post it to musical descoveries, but then I decided I wanted to save it for a remix tournament. But now since we're talking about get in the ring, I think I might as well show it here. This song heavy, yet so... emotional. I don't know how to describe. I just love it.

Now, here's also some other stuff:

• Up 1

Festival Blaze was one of the first GET IN THE RING arrangements I found (this exact video, actually), and it did a good job at catching my attention and keeping me on the lookout for more; maybe it's just me, but imaginative Broken Moon arrangements seem difficult to come by. I posted Over the Rainbow here back around Christmas time as a piano-focused arrangement; it certainly stands out from the circle's typical projects, and showcases the diversity of skillset they have.

Rebirth, on the other hand, is a new one to me. Another thing I love about this circle is their approach to medleys, in that they blend the varying motifs into a single seamless work. This is the kind of medley I prefer (as opposed to having individual motifs transitioning into each other one at a time).

Spoiler

This is probably my second favorite remix from GET IN THE RING; I almost submitted for RT4 it instead of LWCO.

This is actually two different medleys, but the one leads into the other:

• Like 1

TTT

On 2/15/2021 at 10:19 AM, Drunken_Flower said:

and my rock stuff

I really like that Crest piece; I'm surprised I don't come across more swing rock, whatever genre that may be considered part of. I'm still not up for sceam-vocals, though.

Your Valentine's Day comment made me think of a piece I found the day before. There's been a "new" channel reposting a bunch of stuff from an older account (at least I think that's what happened), so I've been getting a bunch of their posts in the daily feed. This particular arrangement seems fitting, if a bit more upbeat than normal.

Spoiler

• Like 2

TTT

7 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

This particular arrangement seems fitting, if a bit more upbeat than normal.

Reveal hidden contents

Oh hey Mahotoa Tofu
currently the best for electro swing
have you check their booth?
https://mahotoa.booth.pm/
FREE STUFF
also their youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG5X0VE9kGhT3Hluuw1PcUg

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

On 2/18/2021 at 2:41 PM, Drunken_Flower said:

also quick retour to the rock

Great arrangement of quality metal with the contextual acoustic intro and outro re-enforcing its impact. Wish the instrumental track was on Youtube.

Ironically, also from that album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxjiCCnALEw

Feels like I haven't posted much orchestra for a bit, so now seems as good a time as any.

Spoiler

First, an oriental folk orchestra remix of Broken Moon which, for once, doesn't sound like it could have been Oriental Memory of Forgathering Dream.

Second, a standard orchestral arrangement of Sleeping Terror. I appreciate the patient buildup of this one culminating in a wonderfully foreboding epicness.

Third, a good-ole Melodic Taste take on Necrofantasia that I can't remember bookmarking but must have at some point. Good blend of instrumentation and variation of harmony typical of Melodic Taste.

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Up 1

TTT

@Ken Hisuag This... is not the first time you've posted music from ssbbmaster... correct? I'm sure I've come across them before, yet I don't remember ever exploring their channel, so I can only think that it must have been because you posted their music here before. Anyway, what's my point? Thank you for posting this one. Not only is that arrangement amazing, but through the intrigue of the recommended videos that appear at the end, I have now ventured into the rabbit hole and started exploring their videos (I hadn't even realised that they made the arrangements themself!), and found not only some of my new favourite orchestral arrangements, but even some really good non-orchestral stuff. You wouldn't expect it from such a small channel. Will be following this arranger from now on.

• Like 1

hey
guess what game is booming? (to like 5 people)

so yeah
ya know aint very fond of chiptune
well yes, that partially right.
to put it in words, if if it meant to be a chiptune alone, then no
it has different feel to it if it made especially for a game ost
ya know what i mean? wording 100

Spoiler

some people say that this game is dead
but no, it actually being worked on
with latest update last year (0.50e) and pre-release few months ago (0.55 beta or something, still work in progress, not final)
yes this still alive and i spent like 40 hrs in

also i dunno anything about megaman but this game cool
if you wanna check it out then https://github.com/SHNecro/ShanghaiJAR

i recommend lower your volume
this bops fast

• Like 1

@buskerdog Glad to hear it! I suggest checking out the collaboration circle The 11th Hour as well.

@Drunken_Flower Not familiar with the game, and the soundfonts are a bit rough, but it's a really good arrangement. There's a combination of themes mixed with some original composition to tie everything together, and it comes out perfectly. I'll have to look more into this.

I randomly came across this acoustic arrangement of Tomboyish Girl that uses a kalimba!

Spoiler

While this was an original arrangement, the performer has done quite a few rearrangements of a circle called Sensitive Heart. So I looked them up, and found a variety of uniquely instrumented synth-focused remixes. Good stuff.

Spoiler

TTT

I'd like to take this moment to highlight Eban, simply because I follow his work and seeing some of it here reminded me of some stuff I have from him. While he does do remixes, I personally prefer his original pieces.

Spoiler

Additionally, a light oriental folk Pure Furies. There's a patience to this piece that I appreciate; it always feels like it's about to blow up, but instead it continues simmering gently. The climax comes quietly, with a deceptive intensity that communicates high emotions without imparting them. A very intriguing effect, to say the least.

Spoiler

TTT

Now time to hope that I don't accidentally repost something.

It didn't happen often recently that I just casually looked for new music to listen to. Mostly sticked to what I already knew. Probably due to being lazy :SatoriStare:
Leaving the details out and making a somewhat long story short, I found some touhou synthwave music.

Spoiler

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Maden said:

Now time to hope that I don't accidentally repost something.

yes that's a repost

but not in this forum

and Violet Delta is easily one of the best Synthwave arranger

Spoiler

and people said I'm gloomy
but i listen to hiphop and stuff

Spoiler

yeah maybe, this a lofi hiphop

but not this one

• Like 1
  • Up 1

I'm in the mood to post some ambient-leaning remixes today. I don't come across these genres too often, though I hesitate to say they are rare. I may do an active search for lofi at some point, since I really appreciate the one here.

Spoiler

I hadn't seen that synthwave remix before, and I really appreciate its posting. After Stranger Things came out, most synthwave remixes I've come across have been extremely simplistic and disappointing. This is the kind of arrangement I'd expect the genre capable of, contrasting a patient melody with a steady formulaic beat. I should look more into Violet Delta; they're on Bandcamp, but for some reason I haven't really paid attention to them.

BTW, CarrotWine has removed all his Touhou stuff from Bandcamp (hence the Charisma Lash uploads). Don't know if this matters to anyone other than me, but just in case . . .

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

For St. Patrick's Day, I had planned to post some Celtic folk arrangements; with the current thread trend, it was easy to decide on what theme to look for. Floating Cloud's Broken Moon is more Oriental folk, so I'm including his Demystify Feast instead (that's Suika related, right?).

Spoiler

TTT

you know what day it is.

mandatory post

Spoiler

LET'S SING OUR OFFICIAL ANTHEM

Spoiler

ありがとう ありがとう
博く麗しい人間と
妖怪の物語から 夢を
あなたが教えてくれた 幻想は
私たちの心で輝いた
おめでとう おめでとう
あなたの幸せを願って
贈ります お祝いの言葉を

Arigatou arigatou
Hiroku uruwashi ningen to
Youkai no monogatari kara Yume o
Anata ga hoshietekureta Gensou wa
Watashitachi no kokoro de kagayaita

Omedetou omedetou
Anata no shiawase o negatte
Okurimasu oiwai no kotoba o

and community approved anthem
(no transliterated lyrics, sadness)

this one with the original lyrics

MORE
NOT ENOUGH
DEVOTE TODAY TO LISTEN ONLY INNOCENT TREASURES
FOR THE WHOLE DAY

• Like 1
  • Up 1

I finally played some of Adventures in Scarlet Curiosity, and with the recent Hachimitsu-Lemon post I figure now is a good time to feature the music (beyond the two pieces already circulated here). The styles are somewhat varied, which makes it difficult to sum up the whole. For the most part, though, I'd say it leans toward hybrid-orchestra, with the "hybrid" ranging from folk to symphonic.

A Note: This soundtrack is amazing! But I personally found the game boring, to a point that it began to detract from the music's quality. Whether others have had a similar experience or not, I would suggest the soundtrack should be listened to on its own at least once.

Spoiler

But wait, we had a theme going this week didn't we?

Spoiler

And, because I can, Innocent Treasures for DF's megapost!

Spoiler

I might buy this soundtrack at some point, it's that good.

• Like 2

TTT

I never played Scarlet Curiosity because I wasn't interested in the game's premise and definitely not because I don't play many fan games in general, but wow, that is some good music. The Broken Moon one actually made me laugh a bit the first time it transitioned to Septette. It had me thinking something like:

Remilia: This is mine now.

What's the original for the second song though? The closest thing I could link it to was Mystic Oriental Love Consultation, but I really can't tell.

Also, I'm very happy you posted Onigashima in the Fairyland, because I almost NEVER hear arrangements of that song, and I really like the original. As great as Broken Moon is, I've always thought more of Onigashima in the Fairyland ~ Missing Power as Suika's theme. However whenever I click on a remix with Suika in the thumbnail - always Broken Moon or Oriental Memory.

Since I'm on the topic of fan games, linking back to that post Garison made with Suika's theme in the Komajou Densetsu OST, that's a fan game I have played - both the first and second one. Although they aren't actually Touhou arrangements, they have some great music in their soundtracks too.

@buskerdog The track in question is meant to be a remix of Curious Old Shanghai Tile, the theme of Rinnosuke Morichika, and plays in his shop (or so I gather; I was not motivated to play the game long enough to find out for myself). Even being familiar with the theme, I'll admit I can only barely pick up on the similar elements.

Spoiler

Ironically, I already had a Missing Power remix planned for this Saturday. I personally think it and Broken Moon depict two separate aspects of Suika's character; the one is powerfully assertive and mysterious, as befitting an oni of the Four, while the other is lighthearted and fun, in keeping with her "drunk as I like" nature. I guess this technically makes sense, being that the personality-filled piece is her conversation theme and the strength-influenced piece is her battle music. Ideally, both styles could be melded into an arrangement, and I believe it could be done well with Missing Power. So far, though, I haven't really found a piece that quite meets my expectations. The closest I've come to is, ironically, Akiyama's arrangement.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT