Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

Ken Hisuag

I was thinking of rock and metal as synonymous, but comparing the Bad Apple remix against the other two does evince a distinction. Perhaps pop rock?

some searching later

I'll have to keep an eye out, but in the mean time I believe I've found the perfect remix to cover your requests.

Rock,
DnB,
and . . .

Spoiler

Patchouli!

Yeah, I'll keep looking.

I've always thought both of Sanae's themes had unnecessarily long titles. But hey, at least neither of them are The Darkness Brought in by Swallowstone Naturalis Historia (Dark Side of Japan).

• Like 1

TTT

Okay, I swear I'm not doing this intentionally, but I just found out that ShinkoNet is releasing a new eurobeat album at the end of the month, and this is beginning to get weird.

Also, guess what other genre he remixes in!

Spoiler

Additionally, here are some specially selected arrangements to balance out the post.

Spoiler

I'd like to draw attention to Aka Kyuketsuki's piano arrangement abilities, since she's more well known for Touhou style.

I fully intend to be back here before Christmas, but just in case I'll wish y'all a merry Christmas now.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

Also, on the heels of having just taken some requests, I'd like to make a request of my own. I have not had much luck finding remixes of the original themes from Urban Legend in Limbo or Immaterial and Missing Power. Specifically I've been looking for arrangements of NKZ's Wanderings and U2 Akiyama's Bell of the Antipodes, respectively. No particular style, just something imaginative.

TTT

There are a lot of original themes from ULiL/AoCF that I really like, and I'm also a fan of IaMP's soundtrack in general (it's a shame NKZ only did music for IaMP and none of the follow-up games), so I agree it's unfortunate no one really seems to arrange those. 

I had a bit of a look, and while I couldn't find arrangements of the themes you specifically asked, I did find two arrangements of Bamboo Forest in Flames (one instrumental and one vocal), which is probably my favourite of the original themes from ULiL.

Spoiler

First off is this one. It's CROW'sCLAW. What more can I say.

And this is the second one. I didn't know exactly what to think of it at the beginning, but I was very happily surprised when the vocals unexpectedly started.

A bonus of any video about a Mokou-related theme is that you get to see cool pictures of Mokou.

Now, here's an unrelated additional discovery. It coincidentally also happens to be another DnB remix.

Spoiler

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 1

The last time I posted about DJtheS was, well, pretty much at the inception of this thread. Given that he isn't a discovery for me, its not like I feel any need to post his stuff. However, I wanted to share this medley anyway, since it's a perfect fit for the season. Merry Christmas, guys!

• Like 1

I shouldn't be here today. I wanted to post these yesterday, and preparations took more time than I had anticipated.

These are some remixes I had considered worth holding onto for a future tournament. In the past, I've chosen submissions based on my desire to hear others' evaluations. I'd held back on these pieces because they are from fairly well-known artists.

Spoiler

One of the first Touhou remixes I ever heard was Demetori's Ascending Into Naught. It was also one of the first metal genre pieces I listened to. I'm fairly certain that Septette is one of the most versatile pieces in the series.

This is my personal favorite Marasy arrangement. If you didn't know better, it could probably pass for a classical piano sonata. A lot of that can probably be attributed to the well-suited source piece.

Finally, another early discover for me was this TAMusic piece. According to the album's information page, it's supposed to be a remix of Maiden's Illusionary Funeral. I'm not so sure about that.

Merry Christmas, y'all, and I'm sorry for not getting these out sooner.

• Like 1

TTT

Nope, that's new stuff to me. It's a bit difficult to tell if it's a remix or a mashup (or perhaps, in the vein of the recently referenced DJ the S, both?). I haven't had much luck in the past finding enjoyable mashups, so I tend to be skeptical of them. If this is a mashup, it's very cleverly edited together and actually rather pleasant to listen to.

Chiptune feature: pedipanol.

Spoiler

One of the only musicians I've come across who composes non-Touhou remixes in the PC-98 style, and does well at it, I might add!

Since my recent searches for requested styles of music, my recommended has included an increased representation of these genres. I won't say y'all should expect more of those genres long term, but you can enjoy them while I've got 'em.

Spoiler

Will this be my last post on this thread for the year? I'm not sure yet; we've still got just under a week to go. One way or another, I hope y'all had a good Christmas.

TTT

I wanted to be careful about this first post of the year. For some reason, this piece stood out to me.

Spoiler

Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm about done with the chiptune features; there's only one more artist after this one, and I'll have covered the highlights from my perspective.

I chose to use +TEK in RT3 because the sound of his productions appeals to me strongly. While it is still technically chiptune, it's on the far fringes of the genre (especially in the latest album), and I'm not comprehensively sure why.

Spoiler

Doesn't this Greenwich in the Sky sound like it came out of a Sonic game?

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 2

TTT

This is not intended to be an extra chiptune feature, but . . .

+TEK's recent album featured guest artist Rumya, and I was struck by the style of the extra arrangements. They remind me a bit of Rivals of Aether; an airy, floating chiptune that still maintains exhilarating energy.

Spoiler

Also, it seems Jaz:3 visited recently, and I just happened to find this accordion remix the other day.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

For the final chiptune artist feature (though certainly not the end of chiptune on this thread), I present . . . actually, I'm not sure which is his primary alias. It's either "pigdevil2010" or "Pigu."

When I said my submission to RT3 wasn't the best example of Touhou chiptune I knew of, this was the guy I had in mind. Unlike most of the previous features, his style encompasses both retro and experimental, while also making use of a variety of chip types. I specifically considered his Egoistic Flowers as a tournament submission, but ultimately decided against it.

Spoiler

Note the instrument designations on the GameBoy.

Just to rap it up, an extra chiptune piece from an unexpected artist:

Spoiler

TTT

17 hours ago, buskerdog said:

I have made a discovery. 

Hide contents

I've heard so-called "bardcore" remixes before, but I had no idea people were doing it for Touhou, and it's great too! By the way, I hope you appreciate the images as much as I do. NUE DRAGON NUE DRAGON

lol, ive been waiting for that since the meme spread

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Gonna try and get this in before Jssf posts the first round.

Second day of the year I thought it'd be interesting to check Youtube for Touhou of that week, to find the last of old year and first of new. One specific acoustic arrangement sent me down a rabbit hole, and I ended up finding a bunch of really old but really good guitar solos. So here's some of those.

Spoiler

It wasn't this video, but one of his more recent ones that started me on this.

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

Tournament thoughts:

The PC-98 themes are generally perceived by the fandom to be lesser known. I assume this is because the games are more inconvenient to play, and the majority of the fandom is familiar with the music they hear in-game.

I've sometimes wondered about the popular opinion concerning Akiyama's OST bonus arrangements. The popularity poll doesn't distinguish between different versions of the same theme, so the rating likely reflects upon the original version in any given case. There have been several cases where I've preferred Akiyama's version over ZUN's, or at least considered them on equal footing (each with strengths in different aspects). So on the chance that some may not have discovered these remixes yet, here's some especially noteworthy tracks.

Spoiler

TTT

After the acoustic guitar discoveries, I've tried making a regular habit out of checking for newly uploaded Touhou remixes. I was pleasantly surprised to find this PC-98 arrangement of a Kaisendo Group theme; Wanwan's works don't normally get considered for remixing purposes (unfairly, in my opinion), so I'd consider this a rare find indeed.

Spoiler

TTT

remember i ever posted a Fantaisie Impromptu in Touhou style?

now look what i found

Spoiler

although i already know ComicFishing because their one song from the same album "A Reverie of Dolls and Stellula" (don't mix it with the one Yonder Voice re-cover)
i really having hard time finding their other pieces on the internet

• Like 2

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

On 2/7/2021 at 1:41 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

It's still Saturday where I am!

Reveal hidden contents

With that taken care of, I'm going to bed. I'll come back tomorrow to check what I've missed.

ngl but im unreasonably afraid listening to that one video, something about afraid it's being too cute or too catchy, afraid of being attached to it.
still havent listened.     :^D

On 1/31/2021 at 5:35 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

After the acoustic guitar discoveries, I've tried making a regular habit out of checking for newly uploaded Touhou remixes. I was pleasantly surprised to find this PC-98 arrangement of a Kaisendo Group theme; Wanwan's works don't normally get considered for remixing purposes (unfairly, in my opinion), so I'd consider this a rare find indeed.

Reveal hidden contents

im not that fond of chiptune (yes i know that's FM rearrange but still.. same)
that aside, HSoB tracks is hella beautiful
i know everyone love the st1 theme

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

ngl but im unreasonably afraid listening to that one video

You are right to be afraid, and I respect your restraint.

Time for that GET IN THE RING I've been holding back on! I wouldn't say these are my favorites (they might be up there), but I think they're a good representation of the circle's work.

Spoiler

• Up 1

TTT