Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

Ken Hisuag

29 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Buskerdog has just unintentionally scared me, and I applaud him for his incidental timing. I don't know if audio notifications are new, but I'd never head them before now. ?

They're nothing new, just doesn't happen often. I'm still here by the way, got another thing to post...

1 minute ago, Amamiya Yuki- said:

oh yeah you are right it was so dead i just genuinely forgot about it lmao

Honestly, I've been afraid to post in it as often as I've felt inclined for fear of overdoing the non-Touhou content. I already have Other Game Music, and I don't want to push the patience of the moderators.

TTT

11 minutes ago, buskerdog said:

Okay bye I'm gonna listen to the new things you guys have posted tomorrow probably.

Fair enough; thanks for sharing!

Also I find it hilarious that the three of us being here at the same time has meant a barrage of back-and-forth posts. ?

Edit: Did you know that when a thread is getting a barrage of consecutive postings, it's labeled as "HOT!" in the forum menu?

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

2 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

and I don't want to push the patience of the moderators

Yeah that may be actually a thing, but that's not literally same topic 3x over again since we have other, touhou and also odd music discoveries (odd is also pretty much dead for now i think) it should be fine... i guess

I wanted to add a couple more Kommisar pieces (just 'cause), and YaboiMatoi just released his prog metal album.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I've been looking for Autumn related remixes for this Saturday, in keeping with Thanksgiving being next week. Unfortunately (but not unexpectedly), one rarely finds the better remixes by actively looking for them. Hopefully whatever I gather will suffice, and maybe the searching will trigger some proper discoveries via Youtube's Recommended.

• Like 1

TTT

Thanksgiving week is here! I'll be back before the day itself arrives, but it's still close enough for me to reference it. Here's some remixes (somewhat) suited to the occasion!

Spoiler

I'm not quite satisfied with the first one, but I wanted at least one folk and at least one Tomorrow Will Be Special. I think I got lucky with the other two; most of the other Fall of Fall remixes I came across were metal, and CarrotWine is always a great find. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

• Like 3

TTT

This is a piano remix which combines the first movement of Moonlight Sonata with Faith is for the Transient People. It works surprisingly well.

Spoiler

My recommended has begun turning out Diao ye zong pieces. While I believe DF has an on-and-off feeling for the circle, I think the jazz-rock fusion of this piece should be appealing. Also, this will be another entry in my Emotional Skyscraper submissions.

Spoiler

Finally, the next artist in my chiptune features is JX. He covers all sorts of chiptune styles, including the Touhou-associated PC-98.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

Recently I've been going through my youtube history to compile all of the music I've listened to into a list to make it easier to keep track of, and something interesting I found was this; I've been rediscovering a fair number of pieces through doing this but this one in particular is interesting because I have no memory at all of listening to it before, so I guess originally I must have clicked on the video but then not watched it for some reason. It's actually a really unique arrangement, so I'm glad to have discovered it in this unusual way.

Spoiler

Also another thing I've re-found is this, which I just felt like sharing. Maybe because it's a remix of the Aya theme that you don't hear that often, but also just because it's really jazzy.

Spoiler

• Like 1

This week's chiptune feature is Pegmode. His style is characterized by extended attacks and retreats, giving his music a slide-y feel. I picked these two because I like it when an artist adds a spontaneous interlude to better fit the piece into the chosen style.

Spoiler

I alluded to Garison that I would find more piano remixes, and I can finally make good on that. As/Hi Soundworks' video titles are all in Japanese, which makes it difficult for me to peruse his work. But everything I've looked at is amazing; the videos are high quality in both audio and visual, the arrangements tend to be slowed down from the originals without loosing the effect, and he even showcases the sheet music. He's also been posting very frequently, so I expect I'll be listening to him more in the future.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

Almost forgot to post today.

It took me almost a year, but I finally found another waltz remix.

Spoiler

So.

When I decided to start featuring some of the chiptune artists I'd been following, I discovered that the unofficial hiatus of MegaZun had been broken just that month. At the time, I thought it was quite fortunate. Then I featured Kommisar, and alluded to his months of absence. Later that month, he unexpectedly dropped his long-awaited second Touhou album. I thought it rather ironic to have just missed this. Finally, I posted some of Pegmode's work last week, only to discover this week that he has been working on his own album.

Please comment what music I should summon next.

40Nix should be safe, since he just released his second album. This is a return to the more retro style of chiptune.

Spoiler

Just made it!

TTT

Unrelated relatively recent discoveries.

Spoiler

This is an arrange of Mountain of Faith's title theme. I looked into Eternal Melody after hearing this, but unfortunately I couldn't find much from them, at least not much that I liked as much as this.

This one is actually a recent discovery lol. It's a just a very nice upbeat song that uses the main melody of Sanae's stage theme really well (no, I can't be bothered to type out the whole name of that theme here).

On 12/13/2020 at 4:55 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

Although I think I already post a lot of it, I'd personally like to see your take on eurobeat. If that's not so up your alley, my other suggestions are rock or maybe drum n bass for something we don't see too often?

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 11:55 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

This was meant as a joke, and I didn't expect y'all to take it seriously. But I'm kinda glad you did. ?

On 12/14/2020 at 7:13 AM, buskerdog said:

I'd personally like to see your take on eurobeat

I haven't had much experience with eurobeat. I like it well enough, but I haven't come across much that stands out to me. My disinclination toward English vocals that aren't Irish folk or CCM also tends to stunt my appreciation. Still, I do have a Touhou eurobeat album on Bandcamp.

Spoiler

I actually prefer the Voyage 1969 remix on this album, but that isn't available on Youtube and I don't feel like formatting a video right now.

The only other Touhou eurobeat I'm familiar with is ShinkoNet's work. He tends toward English vocals, so I don't listen to those much. Ironically, this instrumental track is one of the vocal pieces I do enjoy, but (again) the vocal version hasn't been posted to Youtube.

Spoiler

my other suggestions are rock or maybe drum n bass for something we don't see too often?

We had a few rock posts after the last tournament, didn't we? But sure, why not?

Spoiler

"If you're just remixing one song, you're not doing it right."
~ YaboiMatoi, probably

Now that I'm thinking about it, Touhou rock often gets blended into other genres, making it difficult to find in its distinguished form.

I didn't know what drum'n'bass was before last tournament, and I haven't gotten around to looking beyond maritumix. If you know of a good place to start, I'd love to hear it!

Spoiler

• Like 1

TTT

On 12/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, Garison DeCrick said:

Since you already did piano

Hang on, I'm not done yet! I realized I had a couple of pieces saved in my backlog folder that I'd forgotten about, so I might as well get them out now.

Spoiler

On 12/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, Garison DeCrick said:

If you can find any sort of choir genre

I'm not sure what the choir genre is. I can think of remixes with elements of choir, but nothing that's exclusively choir (pity that Psamathes didn't do any Touhou in her Sacred Groves album). My inspectional searching only turned up arrangements like this:

Spoiler

The harpsichord in this piece is amazing, but I doubt this is what you meant.

Perhaps acapella will suffice for now?

Spoiler

TTT

Eternal Melody

I've had this sitting in my folder for several months now. It's the first half of a double remix, but I didn't appreciate the second half as much and went looking for a shortened video.

Spoiler

Ironically a remix of Faith is for the Transient People (which I typed out in full ?).

5 minutes ago, Garison DeCrick said:

more of your piano recommendations

I've actually been holding a few for potential tournament submissions, though at this point my Tournament Worthy folder is getting rather full. Maybe I'll drop a few for Christmas.

Also there's this!

Spoiler

TTT

22 minutes ago, Garison DeCrick said:

I'd give you're post the ol' Ken-Thumbs-Up if the admins hadn't removed that emote (R.I.P.)

I was wondering what the arrows were replacing. Oh well, advance and adapt.
Still no chin-stroking/thoughtful reaction.

Digging through the folder for these videos had made me more anxious to empty it further, so here's some bonus stuff unrelated to the topic at hand.

Spoiler

Those thumbnails are intimidating together, ey?

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

14 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

We had a few rock posts after the last tournament, didn't we? But sure, why not?

Reveal hidden contents

"If you're just remixing one song, you're not doing it right."
~ YaboiMatoi, probably

Now that I'm thinking about it, Touhou rock often gets blended into other genres, making it difficult to find in its distinguished form.

I meant DnB as the one we don't see too often. I didn't really have metal in mind when I suggested rock, but you make a point that it often shares similarities with other genres, to the point where it becomes hard to distinguish where it stops being rock and starts being something else. Still, I'd say YaboiMatoi's and RichaadEB's covers are definitely metal (I did like them though). That Bad Apple remix on the other hand was more what I had in mind, and I hadn't found a Bad Apple cover with a good male vocal before, so I'm glad you shared it!
On the topic of what makes the difference between rock and metal, I'd say the main distinction is in the percussion.

14 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I didn't know what drum'n'bass was before last tournament, and I haven't gotten around to looking beyond maritumix. If you know of a good place to start, I'd love to hear it!

I don't listen to that much of it myself, but I happen to know this one, so it might be worth looking into the circle that made this?

Spoiler

Damn I forgot how good this was.

13 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Ironically a remix of Faith is for the Transient People (which I typed out in full ?).

Faith is for the Transient People isn't that annoying to type out. The song I shared earlier was a remix of The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Saw. Doesn't help it's been retranslated several times already.

• Up 1