Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

Ken Hisuag

If I listen to it without the visuals, it's pretty good for a medley. The video is a bit too much for me, though.

I've mentioned Luna Nights music before, and it's still one of my favorite Touhou fangame soundtracks. Maiden's Capriccio is especially good.

Spoiler

• Like 1

TTT

On 8/26/2020 at 1:03 PM, buskerdog said:

It does a hell of a lot for making music more discoverable.

It would be cool if Akatsuki Records did something similar.

My apologies to Drunken Flower for a posting a U.N. Owen remix this week. This is from the group buskerdog posted about back in April.

Spoiler

TTT

I discovered SO MUCH awesome stuff today. There's too much to post it all, so I'm just gonna put some of the best/my favourite ones here. Just know that this is only the tip of the iceberg...

Spoiler

I don't think I've heard anything from this circle before, maybe one other song, but I very much approve of this eurobeat.

I normally hesitate when it comes to Flowering Night remixes that are derivative of Night of Nights, but this one is just too good.

Meanwhile, this remix of Aunn's theme is quickly becoming my favourite song by SOUND HOLIC. (You don't see too many remixes of this theme!)

I can't get these videos to embed, but I discovered some new Syrufit songs after re-listening to Moonbeam Maiden and was especially blown away by the Strawberry Crisis remix. I also really like this Plastic Mind remix. There's even a remix of PoDD's character select theme! Which I can't say is a theme I knew existed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utKK5GPhwUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nPzCWAyYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7Vg_UvH4M

And here's a Syrufit song in a different genre which I can embed. This is a nice arrange of Sanae's theme, even if it takes a while to get to the Faith is for the Transient People part.

I need to finish up this post already, so I'll finish with a new arrangement by FELT I found.

Edited by buskerdog

I stumbled across this recently. My initial assumption was "the world's longest Touhou remix," but it's actually closer to a concert than a medley. If you're willing to watch it with the captions on for the full three hours, there might be a vague story going on. Either that or it's just game dialogue. Regardless: the visuals are nice, the music is pretty good, and even a few of the transitions are noteworthy. If nothing else, it makes a good substitute for a playlist while studying or something.

Spoiler

• Like 1

TTT

On 9/6/2020 at 12:07 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

I stumbled across this recently. My initial assumption was "the world's longest Touhou remix," but it's actually closer to a concert than a medley. If you're willing to watch it with the captions on for the full three hours, there might be a vague story going on. Either that or it's just game dialogue. Regardless: the visuals are nice, the music is pretty good, and even a few of the transitions are noteworthy. If nothing else, it makes a good substitute for a playlist while studying or something.

Can confirm it's just game dialogue.

LOL indeed. ????

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of jssf's first Remix Tournament. In commemoration (and in case there's anyone who hasn't seen it yet), here's one of the pieces that was featured.

Spoiler

The original thread is linked in the first post of this thread.

Also, a CROW'SCLAW piece for no particular reason.

Spoiler

I've been holding on to some discoveries in anticipation of another tournament in the future. We'll see how long I hold out, eh? ????

• Like 1

TTT

A new youtube channel uploading Touhou arrangements called GENSOStorage has started uploading recently. Touhou doujin creators can use a form to submit their works to the channel; the aim is to help promote and archive both new and existing touhou arrangements.

It seems like it could become a great outlet for smaller creators, so if it grows it could give exposure to a lot of really obscure stuff.

Found this when searching subbed Touhou vocal arrange, and man... I thought IOSYS only do Denpa, Funkot, and Gamelan... Oh wait, Sumireko's AoCF theme has some dubstep hint on it.

Anyways, here's Third Eyer! A parody of bonfire by knife party, with added loli voice and Satori's theme

• Like 2

I should post more of Wanwan's works here; the quality of his work often rivals ZUN himself. This is a recent post from his Youtube channel, though the date in the description leaves me confused as to whether or not it was composed some time ago.

Spoiler

BTW, this piece is part of a series of commissions from Anna Nguyen, a.k.a. Anna's Handmade. She seems to commission songs for her original characters rather consistently, and involved artists include Aka Kyuketsuki and Yoiyami (also Janitogloy and Enzaki Roka, but they're new names to me).

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT