Recommend me a touhou fan game to play when getting tired of failing normal 1cc for x times?

howardtheold

I have been failing touhou 1cc normal for years and its kinda getting one tired and just want to play something else related to touhou but not danmaku to get the steam off once in a while.

I have been interested in genso wanderer but there are so many versions out there i just dont know which one to start from. Does anyone have advise on which title should i pick up?

Something with a proper story and characterizations would be nice.

Also what do you do in situation similar to mine? Do you read manga or something?

I see you mentioned Genso Wanderer so i assume you are into RPG's a little am i right?
If so i think i can recommend few games that i personally enjoyed to help you a little with getting started
- Labyrinth of Touhou 2 (i really like this one although it may get grindy sometimes and story is not that good) (Dunegon-crawler RPG kinda oldschool type)

- Sengoku Gensokyo (not THAT good but you may like it if you like strategy games too story is not high tier but its fine imo. note that game is actually short but you can unlock special mode after beating it. Note: game needs Japanese Locale to Run) (SRPG and something like gensokyo war simulation)

- Genius of Sappheiros (RPG that i actually enjoyed even of there are mixed opinions about it story is decent but sometimes it gets ridiculously hard and gimmicks may be obnoxious especially if you are not using certain character its still worth a shot imo. Also remember about downloading version with Weekend expansion if you decide to try it out Note: im not entirely remember if it requires Japanese Locale to work) (RPG)

- Gensou Maroku Devil of Decline (Its a 'Sequel' to Genius of Sappheiros and its produced by same studio (Strawberry Bose) game is quite much improvement compared to GoS and i enjoyed it a LOT more than previous one but there is one catch. Story is not translated so it lacks one of your points also every game from this studio like everything else has it fans and haters so keep this in mind. Actually imo DoD has best soundtrack from entire Bose Trilogy as before keep in mind to download with expansion if you decide to try it out Note: game needs Japanese Locale to Run)

- Nightmare of Rebellion (Third and Last RPG from Bose Trilogy i am currently playing it so i cant say much about it but one thing is. This game is TRUE pain in butt to get due to how Bose secured it with stupid DRM system so i dont think you should even bother with it for now)

TPDP SOD aka Touhou Puppet Dance Performance (SOD - Shard of Dreams aka Yume no Kakera is expansion) (Its decent pokemon like game if you are into stuff like that. Note: if you didnt heard about it its not one of those GBA Touhoumons. Game is good is translated along with expansion if im not wrong its possible to multiplayer fights without port forwarding its very easy to find and download too although configuring it to work and patching it on your pc may be a little harder and it even can be randomized along with expansion so its definitely worth a try Note: game needs Japanese Locale to Run)

About Genso Wanderer that you mentioned i heard its quite good but personally didnt tried it yet so i cant give my opinion about it game is actually quite expensive so im not sure if i would buy it just to check if its good but thats really not my bussiness

Sengoku Gensokyo, if you can get it running, is a fairly fun game that, while the story is not amazing does have great characterization for the 6 to 9 cast, including a few that aren't usually seen in fangames (such as Medicine Melancholy and Letty White).  It can take a bit to come to grasp with the mechanics, and is a lighter story.

Fantasy Maiden Wars Scarlet is one of my favorite fangames I've played.  A grid-based strategy/rpg, and more dramatic and involved retelling of EoSD.  The story is pretty well told and the characters are represented pretty well.  Sadly the game is very difficult, and not in a fair way.  It's not unbeatable by any means, but is frustrating.

I've not been able to get most other rpgs on the site running on my computers (in fact, I *can't* get Sengoku Gensokyo running anymore), while I can recommend many others, these are the two I recommend for story and characterization.

If you are own a switch I would try Touhou Sky arena as it is a fun fighting game.

i would also recommend Touhou Genso drift on steam or switch. It was made by some former Marino kart devs and it is super fun to play.

I wish you all have a wonderful day everyday.

Archived