how does sakuya work ?

Meguca

one question has bugged me since the begining of my touhou career : how does sakuya work ? The mainstream odience have a tendency to think she just has the world, as she was clearly inspiered by it, but there is evidence that the way sakuya work is more... complicated.
i would like to show the theories that i made with my touhou experience and try to find someone with the evidence to debunk said theories, in order to have a perfect explanation on how sakuya works.

first, she has an ability to manipulate "time", the specifics of what "time" is is not given, it is said, i think that she can slow down things, accelerate them, and make things from other times (timelines ?) come into hers.
the first problem : in forbidden scrollery, sakuya says to reimu that what she calls "stopping time", is just moving at incredible speeds.
first option, reimu is kinda accusing sakuya of kidnapping, and because she can stop time, sakuya is suspect, so sakuya could lie to look less suspect : this dosen't really make sense, since just afterwards, sakuya tells reimu to be suspicious of byakuren since she can move extremely fast : she wouldn't say that she can't kidnap kosuzu because she can only move at high speed and afterwards call someone suspect because she can move fast.
another option, the one i tend to think is the most belivable one, is that it is a mark of weakness in the ability of sakuya : she dosen't say that she can't stop time, she says that she can't stop time to kidnap kosuzu in that situation, making her "stopping time" ability look suddenly different from what we could think at first glance.
here is a theory of mine : sakuya can't stop time, but she can stop one's time, meaning that, in a village situation, she would have to stop everyone in the village in order to "stop time", we don't know how limited her ability is but i think she can't do that, instead, if she was faster, faster than light as WaHH implies, it would be as if she stopped time : sakuya would have so said "in this situation, i can not stop time, but what you would call stopping time, if i did, would be moving fast instead of stopping people".
my take on how her ability generaly works : it would be somehow alike remillia's ability to manipulate fate : the ability to manipulate one's time's worth.
to put it simply : imagine a man going up stairs : in five seconds, he will be going up four steps. sakuya could manipulate the worth of said five seconds : in five seconds, the man will be going one step. but as she changes one's entire time's worth, non only will they be going up less stairs, they will be breathing less, blinking less, ect... one will perform less actions for the same amount of time : their fate has been altered. she could make her own time worth more : in five seconds, instead of four steps, she will be doing seventy steps, going at insane speeds.
i think that logically, her ability would be limited to how much fate she can alter, meaning she can stop dust for a longer period of time than she can stop the watatsugi sisters, making sometimes stopping one's actions easier for "stopping time" and other times increaing her time's worth easier to "stop time".
also, if she stop someone, their actions are totaly inexistant, meaning : they don't exist anymore. it would explain why she won't just stop time and immediatly kill you, since you don't exist, the same thing applies to SWR for her knifes : stting still in the air, not able to be touched.
fell free to tell everything you think is wrong about what i said, that's the reason why i wrote it in the first place.

Isn't it simple to assume first that anything she touches will moves at first? Hence her ability and how her spellcards works...
(Of course on the matter if she can keep things stopped in time or not while touching it i don't really know)

If so i would assume she can't simply kidnap someone...
Or that's a plothole by itself

Well technicaly she don't freeze time, she freezes the others time not hers 

Read Relativity Theory to get it

So when she "stops" time she makes the other to stop

she can also change speed in certain point of space too

Time is relative is not the same in all the space

sooooooooo she makes the knifes to move and the stop at a point but with the same acceleration

that's the way sakuya works

• 6 months later...

NOTE: THIS IS PURELY SPECULATION AND THEORIZING. ANY OTHER CHARACTERS BROUGHT UP ARE JUST EXAMPLES AND COMPARISIONS TO HELP WITH SAID SPECULATION.

Sakuya's World

An explanation by me.

Chapter 1: Time Stop (Illusion World: The World!)

The way Sakuya works seems to be similar to the way Dio (See: Jojo's Bizarre Adventures) works. But of course, that is saying too little, so I'll go ahead and list the similarities.

Similarity 1: They both have the ability to stop time

Similarity 2: During this small period of unmoving time, any object they throw retains their momentum during this.

Now, the way Dio stops time in Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure part 3: Stardust Crusaders is that he goes at a speed fast enough that time is stopped for him and him alone. If this is really the case for Sakuya Izayoi, then that can explain why the knives just appear during her time instead of them being thrown. They're thrown so fast that they just appear.

Chapter 2: What the heck does her other abilities mean?

The one issue is Sakuya's other abilities, this being slowing down time and speeding time up. These two can be explained by Einstein's Theory of relativity, that stating, as you speed up, time appears to slow down. the time acceleration is just the reverse of that. The only good example is her mannerism. She appears to be someone in their late teens, but her mannerism suggests she existed much longer than that. A good possibility is that she slowed down her own self to keep this age. I can't say if it's by speed or not.

Chapter 3: Skipping Time (or erasing time, if you want a better term)

Skipping time is the ability to erase a piece of time that will happen next for everything around you. This part is simple. Sakuya is (quite possibly) moving time at a speed so fast that it feels like time skipped. It's not exactly erasing time, but it still explains it.

Chapter 4: Reversing time (or why you can't)

Sakuya, as of currently, cannot reverse time. One of the biggest reasons why is just how impossible it is. Reversing time is a lot like breaking an atom. Keep trying to break it and you have an issue. I apologize that I cannot go into much detail with this, but I'm really just stressing how impossible it is.

Conclusion (and any other missed points)

Sakuya Izayoi is a really complex character. Even though she is one of the more prominent in the series, she still has a lot of mystery to her ability. I do hope that one day we have all the answers to her and any good examples other than stopped time. Thank you for taking your time to read this post. It means a lot.

22 hours ago, speedcodes said:

NOTE: THIS IS PURELY SPECULATION AND THEORIZING. ANY OTHER CHARACTERS BROUGHT UP ARE JUST EXAMPLES AND COMPARISIONS TO HELP WITH SAID SPECULATION.

Sakuya's World

An explanation by me.

Chapter 1: Time Stop (Illusion World: The World!)

The way Sakuya works seems to be similar to the way Dio (See: Jojo's Bizarre Adventures) works. But of course, that is saying too little, so I'll go ahead and list the similarities.

Similarity 1: They both have the ability to stop time

Similarity 2: During this small period of unmoving time, any object they throw retains their momentum during this.

Now, the way Dio stops time in Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure part 3: Stardust Crusaders is that he goes at a speed fast enough that time is stopped for him and him alone. If this is really the case for Sakuya Izayoi, then that can explain why the knives just appear during her time instead of them being thrown. They're thrown so fast that they just appear.

Chapter 2: What the heck does her other abilities mean?

The one issue is Sakuya's other abilities, this being slowing down time and speeding time up. These two can be explained by Einstein's Theory of relativity, that stating, as you speed up, time appears to slow down. the time acceleration is just the reverse of that. The only good example is her mannerism. She appears to be someone in their late teens, but her mannerism suggests she existed much longer than that. A good possibility is that she slowed down her own self to keep this age. I can't say if it's by speed or not.

Chapter 3: Skipping Time (or erasing time, if you want a better term)

Skipping time is the ability to erase a piece of time that will happen next for everything around you. This part is simple. Sakuya is (quite possibly) moving time at a speed so fast that it feels like time skipped. It's not exactly erasing time, but it still explains it.

Chapter 4: Reversing time (or why you can't)

Sakuya, as of currently, cannot reverse time. One of the biggest reasons why is just how impossible it is. Reversing time is a lot like breaking an atom. Keep trying to break it and you have an issue. I apologize that I cannot go into much detail with this, but I'm really just stressing how impossible it is.

Conclusion (and any other missed points)

Sakuya Izayoi is a really complex character. Even though she is one of the more prominent in the series, she still has a lot of mystery to her ability. I do hope that one day we have all the answers to her and any good examples other than stopped time. Thank you for taking your time to read this post. It means a lot.

I love the explanation. It's thorough and very simple. Her erasing time however is specifically *erasing* time. As seen in DDC she erases the past present and future time of an object thus making it non-existent 

1 minute ago, Le doge guardian said:

I love the explanation. It's thorough and very simple. Her erasing time however is specifically *erasing* time. As seen in DDC she erases the past present and future time of an object thus making it non-existent 

Thank you for your compliment and the missed point. Although i stuck with the main appearance in Touhou 6 (and the fighting games), It is good to note that too.

Archived