Touhou Mods in Rivals of Aether

buskerdog

So we may not have any Touhou in super smash bros, but I have made the second best thing. Introducing...

The first Touhou Challenger Pack! (Forgive my crappy trailer lol)

This is a mod have been working on for the better part of... too many months. This was actually meant to be done back in October spooky season (because, you know, she's a witch), but then... college happened ???? . Anyway it's finally done now, so I guess you can consider it a Christmas present instead. For any who don't know, the game is 'Rivals of Aether', a smash bros melee inspired game with an emphasis on fast pace and crazy combos, and is definitely a game I recommend. The game is on steam as well as some consoles, but... if you want mods, you need the steam version, so get that if you want to play this mod.

This mod is just the first in a series, I definitely plan to make more of these, and I will be updating this thread when those are eventually made. Now that Marisa is already done, I'm sure it's no secret who's gonna be next...

By the way, I made a stage for Marisa too! There are four music tracks that can play on this stage; Love-Coloured Magic (IaMP), Vessel of Stars ~ Casket of Star (SWR), Love-Coloured Master Spark (IN), and Fragrant Plants (SWR).

767726335_stagepreview.png.8f81a2d185cda44762ea7c4ada0641ea.png

Also shoutouts to my buddy John for being player 2

Get the character mod here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1942628561

Get the stage here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1942638009

• buskerdog changed the title to Touhou Challenger Pack - A smash bros-style mod
  • 2 months later...

The second Touhou Challenger Pack is complete, this time it's Reimu Hakurei!

I started work on this one more or less immediately after the first mod was finished, and now it's ready just in time for Reitaisai!

I made a stage for her as well! I heard a familiar face is hiding here... where could she be?

preview_stage.png.4be66f65cdc97dfd50476f57da18b52f.png

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The third (and final) Touhou Challenger Pack mod is complete! Patchouli Knowledge is finally here!

I've always thought Patchouli was a cool character in Hisoutensoku. Although some people think she's just a "bullet spam" character, I think the way she can combo characters from a distance and control space with her projectiles is very interesting, and I wanted to try and carry over that into Rivals. This one took me a while make, which is a combination of things keeping me busy in life and me just wanting to work more slowly. I actually took a more systematic approach to making this one in the hopes it would be more efficient, but instead it just ended up being more boring...

Of course, I made a stage for her as well. Drawing the spiral staircase was very fun. This one actually features some custom code to make the floating books levitate and react to when you step on them, now that custom script support has been added for stages. The flames on the candelabra are also animated. For music, the stage has both the IaMP and EoSD versions of Voile, the Magic Library and Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room.

preview_stage.png.b4c029171d47a64a91ad0a49f79a9c60.png

By the way, I added support for another custom stage! This one is the MT. Dedede Stadium, for no particular reason other than I wanted to give the characters background titles similar to what appears on Little Mac's stage in Super Smash Bros. Of course, the characters already have several familiar titles, but as the Boxing Ring stage in Smash generally uses titles that are a bit more unique, I wanted to give them something new. These titles do still all have origins, though.

Spoiler

dedede_1.thumb.png.f97e36b00095a820656068c89752ce9f.png

dedede_2.thumb.png.d363ed7972fa5ecadcdcf2c35468e4ba.png

dedede_3.thumb.png.f469ba09534e5d7f5e45f2bb5c6562c7.png

• 2 months later...
  • buskerdog changed the title to Touhou Mods in Rivals of Aether

Ever since the new Reimu mod by Oligarchomp + others released, I've found myself inspired and re-motivated to make Rivals mods again. It's not yet ready to show, but I wanted to make this post to announce that I'm currently working on... something for Rivals.
In the meantime, I've decided that I want this thread to be able to surround discussion of all Touhou related content in Rivals of Aether, rather than just for showcasing my creations, so I've changed the name of the topic.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Garison DeCrick said:

and...

DE65F6707BE049A3B779C832EF4A43671AE1BC05

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2350985664

A surprise to be sure, but definitely a welcome one! With all these new character mods out, it's nice to see more than just the Hisotensoku cast being represented. 

Wat I already checked workshop today, when did this come up?

YO HER MOVESET IS SICK

Now this reminds me that I need to get back to work on my own project

• 1 month later...

Well, the first look at my new project is now here! In the second Workshop Blueprints direct! I wasn't sure whether to announce I would be showing up in it before hand or not... anyway, I didn't have the time to prepare a full trailer (nor is the character finished yet), but during the "Even More Projects" section towards the end (use the timestamps in the description), you'll see some clips I submitted to give you a showcase of what I've done so far, so you can get a taste of what's coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cO85uRMFDA

I'll probably upload the teaser to my own channel soon, once I put the clips together. I'd love to go a little in depth about development right now, but... it's late where I am! So, what I'll probably do is make a follow-up post soon when I've put the teaser on my own channel. See you then!

I'm back! I've even got some clips that didn't make it in the original Workshop Blueprint video, but it's pretty much more of the same. (And speaking of Workshop Blueprints, it was nice to see the live chat pop off when Touhou appeared lol. It got a much bigger reaction than I expected!)

As you probably already saw, this is going to be a remake of the first mod I made, now with original art and other changes that overall make it fit into Rivals better. This was intended to be a relatively short job, but of course it's always when I decide to commit myself to a project that my life becomes incredibly busy.

Making sprites is really hard work! But it's something I'm glad I'm doing, as it really adds a final, personal touch that gives it an air of quality, even in cases where it might not look especially good. Creating my own art also leverages a number of benefits. For one, it obviously allows the character to fit in much better. Adapting to the Rivals art style was quite difficult at first, as I'm not normally a fan of using black outlines when it comes to making my own pixel art, but here I think I've managed to strike a good balance between staying faithful to the Rivals look while still taking some liberties to sacrifice outlines in favour of using the space for more detail. Some trivia, I guess: if you go through the video slowly you can still see some of the draft sprites in use

The other advantage is in how much creative freedom it opens up. No longer am I limited to animations used in Soku, I can pull moves from all different sources to fill out her kit, or even come up with new animations entirely. This also links back to the first advantage; part of what makes a Rivals character a Rivals character is having an object they can place on the stage to use in combat, so I've now been able to give Marisa a new attack that spawns mushrooms on the stage.

Spoiler

The new broomstick slam move is based on the unreleased Touhou 17.5 - Goyoku Ibun.

slam.thumb.jpeg.0aa8e86672e8b37fa6fb1b261d2bbce9.jpeg

frame2.thumb.png.30f52a2e877f76ffad9e61b82017b010.png

Since this is a remake, the majority of her moveset will still be very Soku-centric, but expect some moves to now use more modern sources, or have re-touched animations. Not sure what I'm doing next after this mod, but if I make something else in the future, you can expect the moveset to lean even more into original territory, similar to how Oligarchomp's Mystia mod is.

Anyway, I should have some more time to be able to work on this now, so I can get back to completing things at a decent pace. It does help that most of the code is reused from the old version, but making the art still takes a long time! Thankfully, I've already got all of the basic movement stuff out of the way or at least sketched out, and progress is coming along nicely for actual attacks as well. But I'm not about to make any promises of when it's coming out - I could make a prediction, but I never know when I'm suddenly going to be busy again!

Ooooh, seems cool! I'll check out the trailers soon my wifi sucks lol
Either way, love the stage detail and the characters, also music choice (I love-coloured master spark lmao)
I'm also surprised you put Mt. Dedede and made it similar to Little Mac's stage ring (or whatever it's called) Cause I've been a fan of Kirby for a long time (my childhood lol)
I'm looking forward to more mod updates to Rivals of Aether! It's epic!

スティーブ

10 hours ago, Shadow The Hedgehog said:

I'm also surprised you put Mt. Dedede and made it similar to Little Mac's stage ring

Ah, maybe I wasn't that clear so I just want to point out: Mt. Dedede stadium isn't my stage. Rather, someone else made it, but they made it possible for any other creator to add a background title for their own characters, so that's what I added.

So, Oligarchomp released a new character...

It's over... this character offically has the best walk animation. Nothing else can top this.

Also she's surprisingly tall - since it's original art I was expecting it to be in line with the regular character size, but she's actually a bit taller than is standard.

preview.png.da1e4ff776d81769d091b52376cada9b.png

He released a new stage alongside, too.

preview.png.ea5343c5fab5f17b3a0bf978d7376234.png

2 hours ago, Garison DeCrick said:

Ah yes, "Shining Cstl" my favorite Touhou location lol. Ignoring the typo, I absolutely love how the stage looks.

Pretty sure "Cstl" is an abbreviation to make the stage's name fit on the select screen. You can see he did a similar thing before where it says "Bamboo Forest of the Lost" on the image for the item's workshop thumbnail, but the actual item itself is just called "Bamboo Forest".

image.png.07ae4df4b7edd9b41aa9b7a62142264d.png

I feel I should use my own twitter more but idk what to even put on there.

• 1 month later...

I guess I should update this thread.

Here's a new thing Oligarchomp made, a heavyweight character:

preview.png.9ca767fab38f067c4830116b93177ce8.png

He also made a Dream World stage a while back. But for me it lags like hell. The effect where the moving platform is visible through the stage is cool, but it's doing some funky stuff my CPU doesn't like.

preview.png.a22a877201a32776cbd6d472048fe4c8.png

I suppose I oughta drop an update on how my own project is going, huh? It's been about 2 months since I officially revealed it... in game development terms, that's not a long time, but it feels like it's been absolutely ages to me! I don't know how soon I can get it finished; this is due both to important things happening at college right now and due to motivation to work on sprites. However, the spritework is getting close to finished, which means the project as a whole is getting close to finished. So although I've been taking my sweet time, I hope you'll bare with for a bit longer!

• 1 month later...

It's taken a while, but it's finally here...

preview.png.1faa6abf4936dce38b6a72ce0727dc6b.png

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2494517317

Well, where do I start? Making the sprites was a lot of work, but it was certainly a learning experience, and a gratifying result - I've never done large pixel art like for the portrait art before, but I have to say I'm very pleased with how it turned out. But you may notice that this time, there's no video. Why? Well, to be honest, I don't enjoy making them, and it takes a lot of time, so I'd rather not make a trailer like I have for my past mods. This makes presenting the character a bit harder, but I hope that with new art, as well as some other quality changes like a preview of special moves in the item description, people will be enticed enough to try it. This does leave the problem that I then don't have a way to announce it on my Youtube channel, so maybe I'll make a different kind of video, going over moves or something, later on. Or I might just not.

...speaking of that special move preview, how about showing that off though?

abilities.png.9bdc92b43dbc28e088ef657c700999a8.png

On top of the visual changes, there are also a number of other quality improvements, such as more colours, new/reworked moves, and support for abyss runes, some of which are very entertaining indeed. Oh, and she can also wall cling now! Seeing as she's a thief, I thought it was fitting for her.

Spoiler

help I didn't mean for this image to be so big

wallcling.thumb.png.e9d835671e78519ed3531c2729e99051.png

She also has a secret taunt, but since it's an animation it's not that easy for me to show here, so... go find it yourself, I guess?

Well I suppose all that's left to mention is what I'm thinking of next? To be honest, I can't see myself making anything new for Rivals of Aether anytime soon. If I were to make something new though, it would be new stage for her, as she hasn't got one yet.

Archived