Remix Tournament

jssf1992

That's my b, I apologize for not being around.  I don't mean to hold things up but I guess it's a bit late for that sentiment.  Sorry again.

Set two:

Spoiler

Sleeping Terror Remaster: Oooo, this is really nice!  I'm none too familiar with the older Touhou themes but I will say that from what I looked up this remaster does a good job remastering the song.  Though for me personally it falls into the pit fall a lot of the older themes do of the instruments being a bit too pitchy at time.  That said, 6/10.

Hotter Hotter: 3 points off the bat for the name.  I'm a fan of the vocals and the all too fitting trap club beats they have playing.  Hype, pure hype.  The nature sound effects such as the birds were a nice touch that didn't overstay their welcome, used appropriately and took the back seat when needed.  Again, I go back to the vocals as a positive, the singer is wonderful in her cadence which matches the mood of the song.  8/10

New World: Yeah it's alright I guess.  8/10

Set three:

Spoiler

Miss Divine: Kinda glad someone put this in.  It's a really nice song with a catchy chorus and very engaging, if simple, love plot written within the lyrics.  Weird for a song that I like so much, I can't think of much else to say, it's just a good 7/10.

Shout it Out Loud: Ah yes!  I love Stack.  This is prime Stack too, her voice is best suited to working with a soft rock arrangement like this.  The arranger also did a good job in incorporating and mixing her voice into the backing track which creates these really interesting and unique ambient sounds that just help to keep the ear engaged even if you don't recognize it.  It starts strong and keeps the energy exactly where it needs to be before ending even stronger.  10/10, completely biased.

Homicide Moon: This slaps pretty hard, coming out of the gate with an electric guitar that I can only describe as "rad" taking the lead and keeping you in.  Exactly my cup of tea.  The bassline is strong too.  8/10

I rank very high on average and I think it's a problem. 

Miss Divine - Norowareta Night

This is pretty good, although I had to try really hard in order to hear 'A Pair of Divine Beasts' in this. The music is nice though, and it's pretty catchy.

My Score: I guess I'll score it right in the middle, 2.5/5

Shout It Out Loud!! - Akatsuki Records

You can never go wrong with Akatsuki Records; as usual you can tell how much fun Stack is having while singing this and as usual the Stack Bros have written an arrangement that really compliments her voice well! Also, I love anything Imperishable Night. Totally not biased.

My Score: 4/5

Homicide Moon - IOSYS

WHAAAAAAT!!?? An IOSYS song that ISN'T A MEME??!! Now this is a rocking arrangement. The guitar lead is really powerful, and the whole thing has an awesome driving energy to it. 

My Score: 4/5 

wew... not much to say but here

Norowareta Night - Miss Divine
Electro Swing! 588648731751219221.gif?v=1
8/10

Akatsuki Records - Shout It Out Loud!!
Stack, sorry but... i listen to it too much, i got tired of it Help.png.f57b7e26655160d850b0383c698a8ef1.png
it's my fault in general. but still nice.
6/10

Minami - Homicide Moon
yes Minami is great, good thing ARM didnt take part in that song.
same reason as the previous....
6/10

plz kill me

Help.png.f57b7e26655160d850b0383c698a8ef1.png

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Spoiler

1st song: It reminds me of a pop song. I really hate pop music and songs sung in english, but I listening to this anyway. I feel like it was missing something, but I don't know what. It was cute, so I'll give it a 6/10

2nd song: I think I've listened to this before. I love Mystia's theme and was thinking about it earlier, so I really liked this. The video was amazing and the song was cool. I'll give it a 9/10, because it feels wrong to give anything 10/10 for some reason.

3rd song: I thought it sounded kind of generic and boring at some parts, but I still enjoyed it. I'll give it a 6/10. The next set of songs is the final set huh? I wonder if jssf1992 saved the best for last. My best song is going to come next!

Shinra-Bansho - Unconsious Requiem
Hartmann Youkai Girl... Cute.
not much to say and review from me. but i like it.
7.5/10
Fun Fact:

Spoiler

Kaztora is a heavy shitposter in Discord.

Felt - Puppet in the dark
as usual from Felt, the opening is too long.
good lyrics, nice voice.
but the... (what the word for it?) Rock Metal Vocal? (im bad at pointing out genres) makes it sound like those common Anime/Jrock music.
6/10

Lost Dream Remix
welp... so far there's 2 song that i haven't listened before in this tournament... this one of em
there's too much goin on and the use of the Touhou Instruments(?) makes it... common(?) generic(?)
But bonus point for Kana Theme
4/10

need more question mark.

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

1st song: I love it so much! Even if the singing was taken out and it was turned into a remix, it would still sound good. Some parts reminded of Kikuo (That vocaloid producer that made that song about child- literally everything, gomenne, gomenne) which made me love it even more. I felt like the little talking part before the hook or whatever it's called became a little stale, but oh well. I'll give it a 10/10 ^o^

2nd song: I always wondered how people managed to make vocal arrangements of True Administrator. It seems pretty hard. I liked this one, but I didn't love it. I'll give it a 7/10. Also, the singer sounds like she has a bit of an accent, especially when she says worth it, it sounds like wosit. Maybe she's Japanese, but learned English?

3rd song: I love this so much! It is actually one of my songs. I didn't know what to choose for this contest, so I looked around Haru th's channel and found this. I knew that I had to use this from the start. It is a big improvement from the original. I sounds more melancholic and dreamy. I'll give it a -1/10. If you haven't noticed, I've been giving my songs unreasonably low scores heh heh ( ❝̆ ·̫̮ ❝̆ )✧

Hartman's Youkai Girl with a little more strangeness:  Love this song so much.  There is an air of creepiness that comes with the backing track with of offset but the somewhat light and cute vocals that works well and despite being dissonant compliment each other.  I also love all the use of voice effects to mimic the sound of a voice through a payphone and how her voice mimics the sound of a deadline, all thematically appropriate given the context of the song.  Highly suggest looking up the PV for the full story of the song.  It's very creepy.  10/10

Puppet in the Dark: Oooo, another FELT, glad to see it.  All in all I've always felt that Puppet in the Dark isn't the best song consistently.  The chorus is so good and catchy but I feel everything leading up to and after is, not as good.  Still a nice song, after all if most of the song is only a little bellow great then it's a good song.  7/10

Vanishing Dream: It's good.  It's a remix that stays true to the original but doesn't fall into the same instrumentation problem that most other close resembling remakes tend to fall into.  A solid 7/10.

Shinra-Bansho - Unconscious Requim

I don't love this, but I think it's okay. The creepy cuts certainly fit Hartmann's Youkai Girl, and they make the song more interesting, but in places I thought they felt a bit jarring. As for the main parts, they're good but I'm still not really captivated by them; perhaps the reason I don't like this a lot is just because I'm not a big fan of Hartmann's Youkai Girl.

Score: I guess I'll give it a solid 3/5

FELT - Puppet in the Dark

I actually really like the long intro of this song, there's something about it and the whole song that feels a bit... edgy? (Maybe that's not the right word...) Anyway, I really like the contrast of the lower energy sections with the powerful chorus. Wait, isn't that what I said about the other FELT song? There's probably a pattern here... And speaking of that chorus, it's a really powerful chorus, amazing. All that being said, her engrish could do with some work.

Score: 4/5

Lost Dream Remix

Another PC-98 song that I'm not familiar with... Unfortunately, I don't really think this remix does much to make it more memorable, and I can't really put my finger on why. Maybe it needs some ZUNpets?

Score: 2/5

All in all, this remix tournament was super fun! For anyone who might care, here are what my submissions were:

Spoiler

Hatsunetsumiko's - Memory of Forgathering Dream

FELT - Puppet in the Dark

IOSYS - Homicide Moon

Okay, I've done all the calculations and can tell you guys everything.  Sort of.

First, everyone highest rated pick:

Buskerdog: Oriental memory of forgathering Dream

SmugWakasagihime:  Crazy back-up dancers

Drunken Flower:  Photoshop CS

Rantos:  Shout It Loud!

Oriental Forgathering Dream, Unconscious Requiem and Shout it Loud! all receieved a 10/10 (not included the one who picked them).

The highest rated song is a tie between Oriental Memory of Forgathering Dream and Shout It Loud!, both with an average 8/10.

Rantos was the participant with the highest average between all thier picks, the average being 7.5/10!

My personal favorites were Oriental memory of forgather dream (the original is such a classic to me) and Miss Divine (taking a few things I don't normally listen to and making it very good)

And while I couldn't during the actual game, this is what I would have picked:

I certainly hope this was some good fun, and we all got to hear some new pieces worth hearing.  Thank you all for participating!

Let's keep reviewin

TPW Evo+ - Awakening Illuision
heh TPW eh? took me a month to finish that game, recommended if you wanna destroy your life.
about the remix, yes i love shinki so does the theme.
the one you posted is fitting for a battle theme indeed, high energy and whatnot
but i don't think it's fitting for casual listening... at least for me. plz help
7/10

U.N Owen Piano
uguu~~ another U.N Owen, im really tired listening to that song, like 20% of 2hu remixes is that song.
but imma try to throw away that thinking.
as always, piano remixes is nice, simple yet fulfilling and.. soothing(?). not bad though.
6.5/10

Kitsune Workshops - Necrofantasia
Oho? Orchestral? really well made one
also Fox Factory eh? i heard they are awesome but havent listen to them yet. really worth checking i guess.
9/10

I actually do casually listen to battle themes, and the better pieces of the TPW soundtrack are some I return to on occasion.  (TPW is also among my favorite fangames).

U.N. Owen does have a lot of remixs, and everyone's got a favorite.  I like that one for going in such a different direction that the usual (and is fairly pleasant besides)

Kitsune's Workshop is amazing.  A lot of good arrangements, especially if you like the large orchestral style.

Archived