Remix Tournament

jssf1992

The Remix Tournament has returned for another attempt.

This is essentially a game of sharing and rating music remixes that we have found.  It's not really much of a competition, and there's not really much of a prize in the end, so don't worry about anyone taking this too seriously.  It will go like this: every participant will send three remixes/arrangements/etc to me via PM.  Then, I will post three of all the pieces in the thread, and everyone will comment on them and rate them.  A day or two later (depending on how many people we have and how fast they post), I will post the next set and we'll do it again.  We continue like this until we've gone through all the pieces, and we find out who had the highest rated song, best average rating, etc.

So, if you want to join, post here, then send me a PM with your choices.  Sign-ups will last one week, assuming we have enough interested people.

While rating by numbers is arbitrary, I can compile them into a percentage at the end so we can see who has the rated song and best average, so that would be preferable.

5 hours ago, buskerdog said:

Do you need to send stuff in to able to rate others?

That's the idea.  It's more about sharing than winning anyway.

1 hour ago, Drunken_Flower said:

ohoho, ill spread this post

when this starts?

17 hours ago, jssf1992 said:

Sign-ups will last one week, assuming we have enough interested people.

That, hopefully.

Alright, we're ready to start, and we'll start with these three.

First, a vocal arrangement of Oriental Memory:

Second, a Jazz/big band medley from Touhou 14 (not sure what is going on though):

Third, a medley of Shanghai Teahouse, Wind God Girl, and Tomboy in Love:

well.... imma start. (i forgot to ask this but i already write a long review below and realized... what happen if your submission is in the list? should we keep reviewing it anonymously? or just the submitter score doesn't count?)

i made a spoiler drop down because i go overboard again.

Spoiler

First one, Oriental Memory of Forgathering Dream by Hatsunetsumiko's
i gotta say, you know how to pique my interest, who would've thought i like this one. heh~, are you aiming for me or what?
Oriental Memory of Forgathering Dream (original) is on my top list, even higher than Broken Moon even though its almost the same.
actually this brings back my memories of forgathering dream, i remember this played in one of the Touhou Kinema Kan PV. such good o'l days. i don't know there's a longer version of it so thanks for sharing it.
removing my interest with suika and the theme, imma say 10/10. yes perfect one, if i score it 9 i feel like that's not enough, i really like the voice and all, really got me.. festived(?idk the word to describe it).

Second one, ah... Kokyo NEET, and even Crazy Backup Dancers (that Sinsack is really a crazed dancer).
it's indeed Crazy Backup Dancer climbs up my favorite so fast. the fun and wild feeling in it is just... FUN.
but sadly, i feel no strong attachment to this one, i probably stop listening this after 200 plays or so.
imma score it 8/10. 

Third one, MISKYWORKS, such underrated and obscure circle. they only made 3 Albums, and seems like they disbanded? their last activity is 5 years ago... such a shame, they made great works, their works is very lighthearted.
a medley of 3 songs, Chinese Tea, Wind God Girl, and Baka. a weird combination, but then i think about it, Mirin and Aya is the one that closest to Cirno (FANON AAAAA), now it kinda make sense.
Very nice transition between songs, i feel there's a cheerful feeling to it and the acoustic makes me feel... happy.
imma rate it ⑨ for cirno.

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

On 9/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, jssf1992 said:

Second, a Jazz/big band medley from Touhou 14 (not sure what is going on though):

Don't you mean Touhou 16? Anyways, I'm going to drop my rating in a spoiler tab because keeping things neat (or should I say, NEET?).

Spoiler

Oriental Memory - Hatsunetsumiko's

My Review: Damn, I really like this one. I just feel like this is song is just a really good embodiment of scarlet devil what Touhou is. I love the instrumentation, I love the voice, and overall I think it feels really oriental (go figure) and adventurous. My only complaint would be that the singer isn't great at controlling her breath - listen closely at the end of the song and you can hear that she needs to take breaths a lot. However overall that doesn't detract from the fact that I love this.

My Score: 5/5

Unnecessary Comment: Do Lunarians need to breath? Do ANY 2hus need to breath? 

Crazy Backup Dancers Jazz Arrange - Kokyo Active NEETS

My Review: Personally I'm not a fan. It does feel very fun, however I miss the chaotic feel of the original. I find that it feels more like a simplification of crazy backup dancers rather than a reimagining of it. Maybe it's just because I listen to vocal covers a lot more than instrumental ones.

My Score: 2/5, but hey that's still 40%

Unnecessary Comment: The guy with the bag on his head is trying too hard to woo the trumpeter.

Photoshop CS(9) - Miskyworks

My Review: I've never heard of these guys, but I like what I hear. Odd combination of songs to put into a medley, but if it fits, it fits, and hey, it turns out it does fit, so I guess that means it fits. Nice chill vibes coming from this, and I like the use of the clicking camera noise.

My Score: 3/5

Unnecessary Comment: Cirno with a camera is probably a force to be reckoned with.

Spoiler

I put the spoiler thing up before adding text, so now I'm trapped!

For the first one, it reminded me of something I listened to before, but I can't remember what exactly. It also reminded of SAY YA!!!. (I probably should have picked that for this, but I completely forgot about it. It gets a lot of views anyway). It's a little repetitive, but I don't there was much to work with. The instrumentals were really good and I really liked the beginning. I'll give it a 7/10. I don't really listen to vocal covers so I will probably forget about this later

For the second one, in my opinion, he brass instruments made it lively and cheerful, but the piano refreshing to hear. I think the trumpet sounds slightly weird for some reason. It's more noticeable in their other songs, but it's probably because of the instrument not the player. I give it a 2/10

For the third one, it wasn't really the kind of music I usually listen to, but I still liked it, especially the chinese teahouse in it. I also liked how subtle a lot of melodies were in it and how well things transitioned. I will rate it 6/10

Oh my, I didn't know we were adding reviews.  I'm late as is so I don't want to delay the process any further so I'll keep 'em short for now if that's okay.

Oriental Memory of Forgathering Dream: Oriental Memory and Hatsunetsumiko's can do no wrong.  7/10

Tokyo Active NEETs Crazy Backup Dancers: These guys are really good at their jobs, they are always clean with their arrangements.  7/10 not enough of the dancer.

Miskyworks — Photoshop CS⑨:  Speaking of clean, whooboy!  I like it.  It's simple, but never repetitive, recognizable, but transforms the theme into something new.  Pretty good, pretty good.  8/10

Alright, time for set two!

First, a remaster of Sleeping Terror:

Then, uh . . . it's called Hotter, Hotter.  I don't know anything else about it.  (Got a cool picture of Yuuka though)

And finally, 'New World' a vocal arrangement of Necrofantasia:

Sleeping Terror Remaster

I'm not as familiar with the PC-98 songs as I am with the windows era songs, but this sounds really good! Very catchy. If Lotus Land Story got a windows era remake, this absolutely sounds like it could be the new version of this song.

My Score: 3.5/5

HOTTER HOTTER

This really doesn't sound like anything special to me. It just feels really... generic. I don't think the electronic sounds are particularly good either.

My Score: 1/5

New World

I think that Necrofantasia is one of the hardest Touhou songs to arrange, so I'm always impressed when I hear it done well. The transitions between parts of higher energy and lower energy keep it interesting and the transitions themselves are done well and at good points.

My Score: 3.5/5

Sleeping Terror

I really like it! Especially the piano and all the attention to detail in everything behind the main melody. I think the Jynxolins sound a little weird for some reason and the Zunpets sound a little messy. I'll give it a 3/10

Hotter Hotter

I think it's a little bland, but people who like these types of songs might enjoy it. I'll give it a 2/10

New World

I thought it was a little underwhelming, but I don't think it's bad. I don't know how to explain why I don't like it as much as I probably should. I feel like it tried to be intense, but the hook? (サビ) was a little underwhelming? Or maybe I don't like the singer's voice? I'll give it a 5/10 (I feel bad for some reason ;o; )
Edit: I have no idea what I said, so don't take it seriously 〈(゜。゜)

wew... y'all reviewin fast today

Sleeping Terror
talk about bringin the big guns.
the beginning sound very nice, but then more and more instruments kickin in... yeah, lost my interest
3/10

HOTTER HOTTER
it's Gensokyo, Past and Present ~ Flower Land, PoFVYuuka theme.
well... yeah, Jungle Terror is not everyone taste by the looks of it.
that thing is so rare, there's like 1 person making Toho Jungle Terror.
i put too many obscure songs eh? Help.png.f57b7e26655160d850b0383c698a8ef1.png
let's see if any of you can guess the other 2 i submit the whole tournament.

New World
i like the voice
6/10

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

It's been a long time to not find ten minutes to sit down . . . but, yeah, moving on.

First a rare english vocal song for A pair of Divine Beasts.

Next up is Shout it Loud!!! even though shouting is Kyouko's thing it's Mysta's theme.

Finally, an intense remix of Luna Dial.

Archived