If you could cross over Touhou with any game you wanted, what would it be?

buskerdog

Ignoring all aspects as to whether it could actually happen or not, what game franchise would you like to see have a cross over game with Touhou? (Ignoring games that are already crossovers in general, like Smash).

Personally I would love a crossover between Touhou and Kid Icarus although any new Kid Icarus game would be nice by now. In fact, the number of similarities between the two games is actually uncanny:

-Both are games where you fly around and shoot stuff while dodging stuff

-Both franchises have sections where you beat stuff up close quarters (On foot sections in KI and fighting games in Touhou)

-Both franchises are based off mythology

-Both franchises are anime-like

-Both franchises have god-tier dialogue interactions

-Both have good tunes (but Touhou has more of them)

-Both have good waifus

-Both franchises' main protagonists are all about dem pits (pun absolutely intended)

Of course it couldn't happen even though it makes so much sense but if it did the dialogue would be next level and the potential for pit jokes would be through the roof.

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 1

Terraria has a item which any touhou fan would find similar to Marisa's master spark, that item is the Last Prism look at gameplay footage of the Last Prism and you will instantly notice the similarity between the Mini-Hakero and the Last Prism (sos spelling)

Maybe after defeating the Moon Lord (The final boss of Terraria which is OP on expert mode and drops the Last Prism in a 1/3 chance) you could summon Marisa in someway (I.E Yukari's Gaps)

Imagine how epic it would look for two people using L.ight A.mplification of S.imulated E.mitions of R.adiation at the same time!

Edit: Bet yall learnt something new!

Edited by Oskar
  • Like 2

Strange though it may sound (and perhaps not quite what you intended), but I feel Touhou would actually work well with the LEGO games of recent years. The large cast, the tendency towards humor over seriousness, the many locales and stories, all lend very well towards the series' bizarre, multi-layered appeal.

Most other cross overs I could think are more for the sake of seeing the Touhou cast portrayed with the writing quality of other series, such as Trails in the Sky.

One thing that has crossed my mind however is Undertale, specifically crossing over with Subterranian Animism, as there's few parrallels to be drawn between the Underground and Deserted Hell.

• Like 2

for me.
i personally thought about combining Touhou with SMT/Persona series.
Lotta character with it's own characteristics, expendable world, etc.
also Reimu can actually summon Gods which kinda similar.
Yukari got the similar role as Igor.
Social Links??
also i already set in mind who the main antagonist is.
what's left is the teammates though, i can use snae... but the others... eh???
i havent think much about it.

actually IF i can code, i probably makin it right now. but yeah.... i cant...

yet.

• Like 2
  • Stare 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Honestly I'd love to see Lab Zer0 get their hands on touhou. If only just for a new fighter with the stylings of skullgirls (thematic crossover not withstanding), but even if they do something different I think I'd just low to watch the touhou gals running around in that hand drawn animation.

More touhou fighters = good, well animated touhou = best

Not sure how it'd work but a loot & shoot third person action, or maybe a ARPG would be fun too.

• Like 2

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/30/2020 at 11:57 PM, GundamFan15 said:

A Touhou vs Capcom game would be so hype. Especially it they use the effects and style of Mavel 3 or tatsunoko. The cast of both would also fit in with each other very well.

Sure can't wait to see Reimu fight Phoenix!

May I order a Touhou X Cooking Mama kinda game? All I want to know is what they eat and drink.

Edited by Spirit_Medium
  • Like 1

Honestly i dont know why but i would want to few quite weird ones so: 

- Crossover with Heroes 3 Might x Touhou
- Crossover with League of Legends x Touhou (i really would play any translated moba with touhou characters and lore)
- Crossover with Torchlight 2 x Touhou
- Some Final Fantasy games would be nice too but i really like lore of most of them so im not sure about it
- Maybe Hearthstone too but im pretty sure few Touhou TCG games already exist so it wouldnt be really unique

__saigyouji_yuyuko_touhou_drawn_by_chiroru_cheese_roll__23200f53d3a78b41b6f3df6bd1294a53.png

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I'd love to see touhou x Guardian tales. They both have amazing story and  humor too. Touhou event in guardian tales would be epic along with a new side story in Guardian tales.  Alternate Dimensions is already cannon in Guardian Tales (the irl world is a different Dimension from GUardian tales and one hero comes from there) so how touhou characters ended up in guardian tales could be explained that way. Also there could be tohou heroes in Guardian Tales like how there's usually at least one hero for each side story. On touhou's side I don't know if a collab would justify a new game about that collab (games take a long time to make)  and an update about the collab to an already existing touhou game doesn't fit in with touhou's and ZUN's style in games, so I dont know what touhou would o but the collab would be epic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Garison DeCrick said:

Yeah I guess Namazu would be the only biological giant person (so discluding Hisotensoku since that might be too mechanical for the game's themeing), unless you have a giant Suika or Sukuna with the miracle mallet. There's also the fangame Touhou Kobuto V which opted for a giant yukkuri Reimu head. But I personally think if anyone else were to be added, after Namazu, Genji would be a cool fit. 

In terms of Touhou crossovers, one with Cave Story would be cool. Obviously, it'd have to be with Subterranean Animism since that fits the most. Here's some pixel art someone made that's really cool that really got me into the idea.

(reverse image search didn't turn up anything, so I'm assuming the source is dead RIP)

orin_monogatari.png

orin_monogatari_mockup.png

Isn't this @movexig?, a quick search gave me that pixel joint, hasn't been active since 2015 on twitter, don't know much else

I would like to see a Touhou themed Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nitori could make the mechs

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Salutations,

As others may have mentioned before, I would really like a visual novel based on the Touhou universe. I don't exactly have any other game to compare or cross it with, but I think a visual novel set in the Gensokyo world would be a captivating change of pace. I do believe it should have its somewhat silly atmosphere, as always, but a few serious moments would be much appreciated. On one side, a turn-based RPG could be interesting too, because the game mechanics would have to be changed up a little to fit that genre. As such, it would be very unique, at least in my opinion.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:35 AM, Drunken_Flower said:

for me.
i personally thought about combining Touhou with SMT/Persona series.
Lotta character with it's own characteristics, expendable world, etc.
also Reimu can actually summon Gods which kinda similar.
Yukari got the similar role as Igor.
Social Links??
also i already set in mind who the main antagonist is.
what's left is the teammates though, i can use snae... but the others... eh???
i havent think much about it.

actually IF i can code, i probably makin it right now. but yeah.... i cant...

yet.

I've also considered that, but actually integrating those two aspects and mashing them together may prove to be quite challenging. For one, there's the dilemma between the school setting and the Gensokyo one -- both contradict each other, especially if you keep in mind that the Touhou characters do not really need to go (back?) to school, since the majority are around nearly as old as time itself. There's also the actual gameplay, and the difference between playtime -- SMT and Persona games are horribly lengthy, while the Touhou series has short installments in comparison.

Since you mentioned teammates, I think they should probably be the playable characters you can choose in the Touhou games, such as Sakuya Izayoi, Reimu Hakurei, Marisa Kirisame, Youmu Konpaku, etcetera. Unlike the SMT and Persona series, however, I'd like for all of them to be playable, but not like a switching perspective, as that could ruin the immersion -- just choosing a single character to experience the game as.

It's an interesting idea, but it really requires a lot of thought. Also, like you, I have always planned out games like these, but I never get down to it, nor do I have the knowledge to actually fulfill my concepts. It's important to understand that coding is not the only thing necessary to make a game like this -- the SMT and Persona installments have very large scopes. With all that being said, however, I wish you lots of good luck in this endeavor, and, of course, determination!

On 8/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, Cejic said:

Honestly I'd love to see Lab Zer0 get their hands on touhou. If only just for a new fighter with the stylings of skullgirls (thematic crossover not withstanding), but even if they do something different I think I'd just low to watch the touhou gals running around in that hand drawn animation.

I really like the Skullgirls style and I'd be interested to see how the Touhou art direction would blend in with that.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:31 AM, Flandre Romano Kaiba said:

A Danganronpa Style Touhou Game would be pretty cool. Not sure how it would work but Marisa would be main protagonist.

I imagine that the Daily Life section would contain the bullet hell stages, while Deadly Life would focus on investigating and interaction, although you could beat up a certain character to learn more information or to gain access to more clues, but that should be optional. Trial minigames would have bullet hell elements, and Psyche Taxi (I hope I remembered the name correctly -- it's been a while since I've really touched Danganronpa) would be the same, but instead of points or power, you pick up what you think is essential to solving a specific problem raised by the mystery.

[SPOILER ALERT -- TEXT HIDDEN FOR DARK MODE -- INDICATIVE OF SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS IN THE FIRST CHAPTER OF DANGANRONPA V3 -- HIGHLIGHT TO SEE]

Contrary to your suggestion, however, I think it'd be kind of meta but still somewhat neat if the protagonist was Sakuya Izayoi, but would be replaced by Youmu Konpaku, just like in the third installment. To me, Sakuya seems fairly serious, maybe even a little uptight, which is perfectly fitting for a protagonist of this game series. Marisa and Reimu would probably be secondary characters, while Yuyuko would be the detective sidekick who guides the protagonist.

Overall, I think that the crossover should lean towards the adrenaline triggered from catching a bad guy, instead of the tragic atmosphere that is present in the newer Danganronpa installments, because I don't really know if the Touhou universe would mesh too well with that. I think it'd be very fun to play.

Speaking of murder mystery games, I heard there's a fangame that is a crossover between Touhou and Ace Attorney. I haven't played it yet, but it sounds very interesting, so I encourage you all to give it a try if it seems like it may be right up your alley. (Edit) I think it's called Shin Gyakuten Touhou - Aya Shameimaru: Ace Attorney.

Edited by von Kurtos
I left out something that I should've mentioned, so I apologize. I don't wanna lead anyone astray. Sorry!

Best regards,

von Kurtos

On 5/3/2021 at 11:13 PM, von Kurtos said:

I've also considered that, but actually integrating those two aspects and mashing them together may prove to be quite challenging. For one, there's the dilemma between the school setting and the Gensokyo one -- both contradict each other, especially if you keep in mind that the Touhou characters do not really need to go (back?) to school, since the majority are around nearly as old as time itself. There's also the actual gameplay, and the difference between playtime -- SMT and Persona games are horribly lengthy, while the Touhou series has short installments in comparison.

SCHOOL SETTING!!!????
OHNONONONONONONONONONONONO

NO

it does not need to be in shcooals, look at nocturne for example
the protag just wander around, the whole world is just like one large dungeon.
perfect setting for gensokyo

On 5/3/2021 at 11:13 PM, von Kurtos said:

Since you mentioned teammates, I think they should probably be the playable characters you can choose in the Touhou games, such as Sakuya Izayoi, Reimu Hakurei, Marisa Kirisame, Youmu Konpaku, etcetera. Unlike the SMT and Persona series, however, I'd like for all of them to be playable, but not like a switching perspective, as that could ruin the immersion -- just choosing a single character to experience the game as.

you mean like who you play as main protag? the one who you start with?
i dunno, i still havent put much thought on this.
originally i thought you play as reimu, gathering friends through negotiations. much like SMT series.
although that make the fusion mechanics harder since.. ya know.. fusing 2 touhous to another will cause much conflicts in fandom.

but considering Reimu power of summoning gods
that can be used as a persona, making Reimu as a wildcard holder.
but instead of whole skill change, she has like 6 base skills and 2 skills from her summons, or 4/4.
affinity and stats probably will change with each summons.
then while writing this i remember about magatama mechanics from nocturne.
maybe like that? but dunno

im not planning on social link mechanics, that's way too big.

also SMT is basically demonic pokemon and pokemon touhou already exist
so there's an example

and again how about balancing?
well guess what
unlike pokemon where you stick with one until the end of time
SMT mechanics requires you to constantly change and grow your demons
that means it easier to balance power through "level ranges" than whole collection of summons

the more i think the more it become Nocturne...
still, i need to play more SMT series other than the main or persona

• Like 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Hello,

I think your ideas would work for a game like that. Having a setting that's more similar to the one in Nocturne is probably the best option; actually, it'd likely be better if the game was based off SMT rather than Persona.

On 5/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, Drunken_Flower said:

although that make the fusion mechanics harder since.. ya know.. fusing 2 touhous to another will cause much conflicts in fandom.

Yes, I'm not too sure how fusing Touhou characters would work either. I've thought of an alternative to this, where it would only be very loosely based off the SMT fusion mechanics: you can talk to two characters and tell them to introduce you to another one. Like in SMT, the new party member would depend on the two characters -- for example, if you were to tell Marisa and Sakuya to recruit somebody else, they'd probably bring you a human instead of a youkai, because the two of them are also of that species. However, as a consequence, Marisa and Sakuya would leave the party unless you convince them to join you in another encounter. Special "fusions" would exist too, e.g. you could convince Sakuya, Meiling and Remilia to bring Flandre.

It's difficult to create something similar to the system in SMT, because the creatures in the games are disposable, unlike Touhou characters. I think my version of it might be too complicated, though.

On 5/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, Drunken_Flower said:

hen while writing this i remember about magatama mechanics from nocturne.
maybe like that? but dunno

The magatama from Nocturne could be replaced with Reimu's purification rod (I hope that's what it was called -- either way, it's the stick she holds). Stats would change depending on which weapon is chosen.

By the way, is there any news on SMT V? I've heard back in 2020 that it's being worked on, but I haven't had the time to keep up with its development. What's up with it?

Best regards,

von Kurtos

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2019 at 8:04 AM, Cejic said:

Not sure how it'd work but a loot & shoot third person action, or maybe a ARPG would be fun too.

Yes! Good idea! I know that would mean there would be way too much combos (Skullgirls combos are just intimidatingly huge), but the soundtracks for both are awesome, and there would be some great stuff, like maybe Big Band beating up Sakuya with his 'Tuba-Tuba-Tuba-TUUBAA!' or Umbrella and Kogasa showing the power of Karakasa and Hungern.

On 1/30/2020 at 9:57 AM, GundamFan15 said:

A Touhou vs Capcom game would be so hype. Especially it they use the effects and style of Mavel 3 or tatsunoko. The cast of both would also fit in with each other very well.

I get you there. I would love to see Reimu, Marisa and Sanae with Ryu, Mega Man and Chris Redfield while they go head to head against Sakuya, Bass, and Albert Wesker.

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2019 at 8:04 AM, Cejic said:

Yeah, sure thing. I could build a hypothetical roster for that. Here:

Skullgirls:

Parasoul

Marie

Black Dahlia

Umbrella

Valentine

Cerebella

Filia

Big Band

Peacock

Annie