I got introduced to Touhou like a month or two ago; on a game convention for board/rpg/figure - games mainly. There was a Touhou room though and I had never heard of it. I never explored Japanese pop-culture that much before, because I didn't use to think that it was my cup of tea — except for like... Nintendo and Pokémon. But I recently started to get into some animes and I guess that's why this Touhou game room appealed to me at this point. At first I didn't understand that all the games were with the same characters. My first impression was that this was some society of weebs playing asian arcade games. I tried one of the bullet-hell games, but what really got me was the fighting games. I played Immaterial and Missing Power and immediately the lovely music caught my attention along with the intro. Also the characters intrigued me. All characters were unlocked and Remilia was the girl of choice, the one that I first took liking to. Also the gameplay was very fun for a fighting game with all the projectiles and the spell cards. So when I left — I thought that this was something I had to check out at home! 

So that was my introduction to Touhou and I'm quite amazed by the amount of fan-content and spin-off stuff and the fact that there is such a following. So yeah, I'm quite a newbie around here. I currently play the classic era games. Excited to explore more games and other things related!

Other than that; I'm a guy from Sweden, I turn 27 this year and I work as a software developer. On my spare time I usually do stuff like coding on my game-project, play music, drink beer, go to gigs, grow chili, go fishing.

See you around!

Welcome! Enjoy your time on the forum. We are very friendly here.

I think its worth playing every Touhou game, but if you are particularly into the fighting games and are thinking of properly getting into one, but not sure which one to practice, some info that might help:

There have been two 'styles' of fighting game in Touhou - the 'ground-based style', which the first three games fall under, and the 'floating style' which is every fighting game after that. It's kinda hard to explain the differences but basically:

-Ground-based games are more technical (street fighter-style command inputs for specials, high and low block, etc)

-Floating games are easier (single direction input for specials, only one type of block), and also all the characters feel floatier. BUT the battles take place completely in midair. Which is awesome, and very in-fitting with Touhou's style. Also the first floating game did a hard reset of the character roster which either sucks or is great depending on which characters you like.

If you want to get into the ground based games, look no further than Touhou 12.3: Hisoutensoku. It has all the characters from it's predecessors + 5 more, definitely has the largest community out of the ground fighters, and uses a refined version of Scarlet Weather Rhapsody's combat system. In fact, Hisoutensoku is actually an expansion of SWR, you'll need both games to unlock all the characters. If you know anything about smash bros, let's just say that Hisoutensoku is the melee of Touhou fighters.

As for the floating based games, I don't really know as much about them but the most recent one in Touhou 15.5: Antinomy of Common Flowers, so it probably has the largest community and most refined gameplay. Also you get to use two characters in this one which is pretty cool.

I've been thinking about getting properly involved with the fighting games recently myself, but right now isn't really a good time for me because I'm busy. Hope this information helped though, and I hope it wasn't a huge dump of stuff you're not interested in...

Also here's some hype gameplay of Hisoutensoku if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1N7v_MmJ4

Archived