Jump to content
yusdacra

Hello, people

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I usually don't interact with any fandom, but this place seems peaceful enough to do so. So here goes my attempt to say "hi". And find some people to talk, I guess.

I heard the name "touhou" first in 2015 I think. Not sure. I didn't play the game at that time, simply because I thought it wasn't interesting.  Anyways, 6 months ago, while I'm listening to something on SoundCloud, I see something called "Native Faith" recommended to me. Usually those recommendations are bad but I don't have anything better to do so I click. I like it immediately, since it's fast paced and piano. Then I search about the song on the web, find about Touhou again. This time I decide to give it a shot since that music was pretty good. And it was a good choice.

My first game is Touhou 10 (cause of "Native Faith"). Absolutely loved it, Touhou(s) are the only game(s) that feels fluid to me, after Dead Cells (which is an epic game). I also loved the art of the game, it feels like fresh air after all those "normal" games (xD). It looks weird, childish and cute at the same time, which i like. And the music is just plain awesomeness. When I first heard Sakuya's theme (Luna Dial) in game, it made me thought "Oh sh*t, she is going to kick my ass". 

As of now i have played 6, 7 and 10, but never finished any. Got to the last stage in all of them in normal difficulty, never managed to beat those damned last bosses. My only goal is to finish every game in Normal difficulty, other difficulties are near impossible for me (expect Easy, lol). My fav character would be Marisa, because I always wanted to be a (ordinary) magician as a child. She is the funniest too (and most energetic?) I think. Which fits me irl.

So, that's it.

BTW, I use Linux (Void Linux) only. Any fellow Linux users here?

EDIT: Forgot to say, this website is really well made. Good job.

Edited by yusdacra
  • Like 3
  • Happy 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!

Fellow Linux user, nice. I'm a bit (a lot) of a distro hopper so I've tried most distros but my device has always run Xubuntu LTS as a permanent daily driver for that safe and stable gleam (and of course because I love Xfce).

Also I listen to Touhou music daily and have almost every game's OST downloaded. Definitely agree it is kickass and one of the best parts of Touhou as a whole imo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!

21 hours ago, yusdacra said:

My only goal is to finish every game in Normal difficulty

by 'finish' do you mean just beat the game, or go for a 1cc? (Btw 1cc means beat the game without using a continue)

Either way, you can do it! I was in the same position as you once, and to an extent I still am, but I have beaten most of the games I've played on normal, 1cc'd a few of them, and even beaten an extra stage.

As you play more Touhou games, you will be surprised at how much you improve! Not so long ago I revisited Touhou 6, my first Touhou game, and was shocked at how much better I was than before! So even though it might seem hard now, don't give up, and remember you can always come back to the games you really struggle with later!

Just a fair word of warning, Touhou 11 and 12 are nightmarishly difficult, don't be afraid to use easy difficulty to finish the game when you have to.

Touhou 8 introduces an unlockable 'Spell Practice mode' which also returns in some later games as a feature available by default. Seeing as you've played Touhou 6 and 7, I recommend you try 8 next when you want to move on to your next game - I reckon you might like Spell Practice once you get it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 10:30 PM, buskerdog said:

Welcome!

by 'finish' do you mean just beat the game, or go for a 1cc? (Btw 1cc means beat the game without using a continue)

Either way, you can do it! I was in the same position as you once, and to an extent I still am, but I have beaten most of the games I've played on normal, 1cc'd a few of them, and even beaten an extra stage.

As you play more Touhou games, you will be surprised at how much you improve! Not so long ago I revisited Touhou 6, my first Touhou game, and was shocked at how much better I was than before! So even though it might seem hard now, don't give up, and remember you can always come back to the games you really struggle with later!

Just a fair word of warning, Touhou 11 and 12 are nightmarishly difficult, don't be afraid to use easy difficulty to finish the game when you have to.

Touhou 8 introduces an unlockable 'Spell Practice mode' which also returns in some later games as a feature available by default. Seeing as you've played Touhou 6 and 7, I recommend you try 8 next when you want to move on to your next game - I reckon you might like Spell Practice once you get it.

I didn't really know what a "1cc" was, but yeah, I meant beating the game without using a continue. Otherwise it doesn't count for me.

I'm already playing 8, didn't play lots yet as playing Touhou really makes my eyes tired. Focusing to that small hitbox while still trying to go between those bullets is ouch. So only a little bit everyday.

That mode sounds great. I guess it is like dodging Spell Cards only?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 5:44 PM, dnf said:

++Welcome!

Fellow Linux user, nice. I'm a bit (a lot) of a distro hopper so I've tried most distros but my device has always run Xubuntu LTS as a permanent daily driver for that safe and stable gleam (and of course because I love Xfce).

Also I listen to Touhou music daily and have almost every game's OST downloaded. Definitely agree it is kickass and one of the best parts of Touhou as a whole imo.

That's a good choice for a distro. In all *buntu distros, I always liked Xubuntu. The default look of that is nice, and it is pretty lightweight. My favorite DE is Plasma/KDE with Fluxbox window manager.

What distros have you tried before? The only decent distro I haven't tried yet is Slackware. Other's are either based on Ubuntu/Debian/Arch. Also tried Solus, Nix OS. I currently feel like I tinkered with Linux a lot, so I'm moving to something else as my tinkering OS. Either BSD-based, Haiku OS or Redox OS.

Yeah, good music should be listened every day. One thing I listen to is "Magus Night", Marisa's theme from 13.5. Whenever I listen to that, I get a feeling of dance. Good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, yusdacra said:

That mode sounds great. I guess it is like dodging Spell Cards only?

Pretty much. To unlock you just have to beat the game - doesn't need to be a 1cc. And then, to challenge a spell card in that mode, you just need to have seen it at least once. This blessing of a mode is what allowed me to eventually conquer the extra stage.

In general, Imperishable Night actually has loads of unlockable content, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. Even modern Touhou games don't have as many unlocks. (In fact, unlockable features seem to have disappeared altogether since 8, except for extra stages.)

If you're interested in learning what the unlocks are I'll put a spoiler tab listing them.

Spoiler

Extra stage - OK this one's kinda obvious, you probably already know what it is, but after 1cc-ing the game you unlock a crazy hard extra level. Play at your own risk.

Spell practice mode - already talked about in the post.

Start with more lives - In Imperishable Night by default you can start with up to five lives, which can be changed in the settings. After 1cc-ing the game, You can start with up to seven to help you 1cc with characters you are not as good at.

Play as characters solo - If you 1cc the game with all four teams, you can play as each of the 8 characters solo. This means your shot type and bomb will not change between focus and unfocused mode, and it also effects the size of your human/youkai gauge.

More last word cards - fulfilling certain conditions unlocks more last word spells to challenge. You can check what the unlock conditions are by looking under the 'last word' tab in the spell practice menu. I haven't actually unlocked any of these yet since when I originally played IN this page was in Japanese so I didn't actually realise they were unlockable spell cards; I only noticed when I went back to IN recently to try and 1cc with a second team, as the translation is now more up to date. (And I only played IN for the first time about a year ago... was is really not translated by then?) Anyway, they're definitely something I'm going to experiment with sometime, seeing as last words were by far my favourite feature of IN and absolutely need to return sometime in a future Touhou game.

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buskerdog said:

Pretty much. To unlock you just have to beat the game - doesn't need to be a 1cc. And then, to challenge a spell card in that mode, you just need to have seen it at least once. This blessing of a mode is what allowed me to eventually conquer the extra stage.

In general, Imperishable Night actually has loads of unlockable content, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. Even modern Touhou games don't have as many unlocks. (In fact, unlockable features seem to have disappeared altogether since 8, except for extra stages.)

If you're interested in learning what the unlocks are I'll put a spoiler tab listing them.

  Hide contents

Extra stage - OK this one's kinda obvious, you probably already know what it is, but after 1cc-ing the game you unlock a crazy hard extra level. Play at your own risk.

Spell practice mode - already talked about in the post.

Start with more lives - In Imperishable Night by default you can start with up to five lives, which can be changed in the settings. After 1cc-ing the game, You can start with up to seven to help you 1cc with characters you are not as good at.

Play as characters solo - If you 1cc the game with all four teams, you can play as each of the 8 characters solo. This means your shot type and bomb will not change between focus and unfocused mode, and it also effects the size of your human/youkai gauge.

More last word cards - fulfilling certain conditions unlocks more last word spells to challenge. You can check what the unlock conditions are by looking under the 'last word' tab in the spell practice menu. I haven't actually unlocked any of these yet since when I originally played IN this page was in Japanese so I didn't actually realise they were unlockable spell cards; I only noticed when I went back to IN recently to try and 1cc with a second team, as the translation is now more up to date. (And I only played IN for the first time about a year ago... was is really not translated by then?) Anyway, they're definitely something I'm going to experiment with sometime, seeing as last words were by far my favourite feature of IN and absolutely need to return sometime in a future Touhou game.

 

 

Seems nice! Unlocking more things are good cause you get more choices. I will just go Easy and then finish the game so I can practice. Thanks for the explanation!

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 11:29 PM, yusdacra said:

That's a good choice for a distro. In all *buntu distros, I always liked Xubuntu. The default look of that is nice, and it is pretty lightweight. My favorite DE is Plasma/KDE with Fluxbox window manager.

What distros have you tried before? The only decent distro I haven't tried yet is Slackware. Other's are either based on Ubuntu/Debian/Arch. Also tried Solus, Nix OS. I currently feel like I tinkered with Linux a lot, so I'm moving to something else as my tinkering OS. Either BSD-based, Haiku OS or Redox OS.

Yeah, good music should be listened every day. One thing I listen to is "Magus Night", Marisa's theme from 13.5. Whenever I listen to that, I get a feeling of dance. Good stuff.

Xubuntu for me is the definitive lightweight Ubuntu-based distro now, ever since Lubuntu has formally stated they are moving focus away from older computers. Lxqt is nice, but it gets an implicit deduction in "lightweight-ness" due to the mindset devs now have of focusing on modern computers. I'm aware there are other lightweight Ubuntu-based options out there, but none are really quite as well documented and supported as Xubuntu is. But among those other options, the ones I've tried and liked are Linux Lite (decently documented, Xfce based, geared towards beginners) and Peppermint OS (combines some features I like from both LXDE and Xfce).

I love Plasma, especially their newest releases, with how extensible and easily tweakable it is, but sadly I just don't own highspec-enough hardware to run it reliably alongside my plethora of regularly used applications. I also have experience with super lightweight WMs, but have only tried Fluxbox briefly. The only lightweight WM I've ever really stuck to is dwm, so I guess I'm just used to that LOL.

I am an eternal distro-hopper. Plus, as a teenager I was often the person people ran to whenever Windows/OSX screwed their computers over. It was my pride that I could convince people to make the switch to Linux-based OS's whenever they called on me to fix their PCs. So, as a result of this, I ended up tinkering with all kinds of distros to see what would work the best with all the hardware I encountered. Notably I've tried most Ubuntu-based distros (Mint, Zorin, elementary, Neon, Nitrux, Trisquel, Bodhi [<3], and of course the various flavors of Ubuntu), Debian-based ones (MX, antix [<3], deepin, LMDE, Netrunner, Devuan, and sid and stable), Arch-based ones (Manjaro [<3], Antergos [RIP], Arco, and vanilla Arch with the help of scripts), Fedora-based (Korora [RIP], and workstation and spins; haven't tried Silverblue), Slackware-based (Porteus [<3], Salix; haven't tried it vanilla), Solus (due to excitement for 4.0 and bleeding-edge Budgie), Puppy Linux (Xenialpup and Bionicpup), and even some BSDs like MidnightBSD out of curiosity. However, the only distros I ever truly stick to on my own devices are Xubuntu and Porteus (as a rescue system because it is USB-bootable with persistence, lightweight, and never breaks due to the Slackware codebase). As for distros I'd like to try still in the future, that'd be Alpine (and postmarketOS), Void, Clear Linux (hopefully on high end hardware one day), Gentoo-based ones, and other BSDs like TrueOS.

Ooh, I remember that theme and I agree it's very nice. My favorite themes at the moment are the original Mystic Oriental Love Consultation (STILL my favorite Reimu theme), Voile the Magic Library (UNL version), and The Concealed Four Seasons (I especially can't stop listening to the PC98 remix of it on YouTube).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! I'm also new to Touhou, have played 6, 7 and 8 and a lot of 7.5! Haven't been able to beat anything in normal yet either. So we share a common goal right now! 😁

See you around!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.