Which is your favorite "era"  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite "era"

• Retro
    • Classic (PoFV)
    • Modern 1 (DS)
    • Modern 2 (VD)
    • . . . huh?

With activity having increased it's past time that I brought this back.  It's pretty clear what this whole idea is.

So, this week, let's talk about some of the stuff that may or may not make us prefer one "era" of games over another.

For clarity,

Retro is the first five games, up until Mystic Square

Classic is Embodiment of Scarlet Devil to Shoot the Bullet

Modern 1 is Mountain of Faith to Double Spoiler

Modern 2 is Great Fairy Wars until  . . . where we are.

My vote has to go into the second modern era. ZUN’s art style, music, and gameplay programming have tightened up quite a lot compared to his older works. Sure, not everything looks or sounds as complex as the likes of PCB or SA/UFO, but his current direction has become quite structured. I think his storytelling has gotten much better than before, as well, with games like Ten Desires, and my personal favorite: Legacy Of Lunatic Kingdom topping the bill.

As for the Fighting games, I’ve only played Antinomy Of Common Flowers, but it’s still a fun Touhou spin-off, to me. It might not be quite like UNL, from what I’ve heard, but it’s fine for what it is.

Archived