Curious about the history of the shrine

buskerdog

How long has this site existed? Who created it? I notice most of the users created their account not that many years ago. What happened to the people before then? Did they leave? Was the site recreated and people had to remake their accounts?

I'm just kinda curious about the shrine's history, tbh.

Oh, there's a lot of history, but I'll give a short version.  While this forum is relatively recent, the original incarnation of the site and forum are from 2011 or early 2012 (not entirely sure).  I joined the forum (as a normal member) in late 2012, and sadly am the only remaining member from that particular time.*  There were two forums prior to this one, the original got taken down due to a malicious user, and the second died off due to inactivity before the first Discord was created (the current one is actually the second).  None of the original creators remain, all having left or retired, and having passed on leadership.

*There are a number from not long after, such as Ceje and Jmonkey

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for shedding a bit of light to this question. Honestly, I was curious as to how this Forum came to be, as well. Seeing as how I’ve sifted through a few topics discussing this community’s old days.

Actually, this reminds me of an old zetaboards Forum I joined back in 2013. It, too fell apart due to various circumstances. Anyway, I’m sorry to hear about losing some older members. Still, I’m happy to see this place is thriving. Hope we get a few more years for this community!

well... i attend some of Moriya Shrine History Class in Discord (AKA some random conversation that turned into story time)

The first admin is Ace of Arrows, second is Craftymage and now is Cirno.
i don't know much about Ace, since not many that survived from that era.

apparently there's a Skype group back then. and again i don't know much.
Discord came in, and i guess that marks the end of Skype. from what i know, there's the old Server and then Crafty (or Cirno) made a new one in May 2017. the old one still there but it's empty.

then there's Crafty. he still quite often seen in the server. pro at Tetris and Fighters.
and there was the Moriyashrine.weebly.com (then renamed to HakureiShrineRedandWhite.weebly.com after the creation of this site) which run by Crafty. but recently it died. i don't know anything about moriyashrineextend.proboards.com.

then i guess we're here where Cirno is the admin. (was) Pro at bullethells, now re-training. and pro at throwing stuffs, especially mugs.

The oldest active member is Jmonkey and Cejic.

all the Twitter, Facebook and Youtube account is dead since the operator is missing. we don't actually know who hold the accounts.

i guess that's all i can tell. most of the Moriya Shrine History Class just talks about certain individual, quite uncommon to talk about the server itself though.

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

I am uncertain what the status of that twitter page is.  I assume that, like some other social media things, it has gone defunct as we lost older members.

We don't often talk about Ace, mostly because there is no desire to discuss the event that precipitated his retirement.

Initially, if remember correctly, Ace had some of the Touhou games, official and fanmade, on his blog before making the MS site on Weebly (this is actually where I first downloaded the games).

Crafty made the new Discord server while Cirno took over the old one, then Crafty retired, and Cirno took over and merged them (I think).

The "MoriyaShrineExtend" forum was the second forum after the first got taken down. (Hence Extend)  Once it was near-dead due to inactivity, the last of us there gave up and switched to Discord.  After a couple years (?) of hoping to revive it, Tormentium and Cirno decided to try it with a fresh slate.

50 minutes ago, Drunken_Flower said:

The oldest active member is Jmonkey and Cejic.

Depends on how strictly you define active.

40 minutes ago, jssf1992 said:

We don't often talk about Ace, mostly because there is no desire to discuss the event that precipitated his retirement.

What, was there some sort of controversy surrounding this?

I'm not going to push for details if it's something you'd rather not talk about, but perhaps it could be something interesting.

I'm part of the old guard? sheesh time flies. I'd like to help illuminate things, but I doubt I'll be able to... If I can find a way back to the old forums I technically have the ability to access them and dig up info, but it's looking like it got shut down finally, might just be double buried though. I'm unaware of the specifics of Ace's retirement, by the time I was regularly active on the older forums most moderators & admins were barely online, actually got most privileges by offering to take over duties so I could use some of the features without having to drag people in from their lives as often. I'm also pretty foreign to the discord server & live chats that proceeded it, never could quite keep up with the pacing of those chats.

I will say that, in my experience, a live chat kills most forums. Once you have instant notifications and full support for images with hundreds of eyes on it, there's not much of a need for heavily archived content. Even if this could serve the same functions as the discord there's a feeling of gatedness on here due to the way posts are submitted and displayed. It feels more like posting a notice than throwing out a thought. Since most people just want a place to chat and discuss, there's not much need for the notices and a lot more of a need for the quick pacing on discord servers. (might be going a bit cyclic now.) I've watched 2 forums lay vacant in preference to group chats, and even this one is mostly kept going by the constant influx of new users and the oodles of social media features implemented on it compared to most forums.

Technically I'm pretty sure that @jssf1992 was on the old forum before me, I forget on the exact ordering of things, but I'd wager Jmonkey was as well.

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

Archived