Print Works. Where should I start?

JRPGamer

I've been meaning to read the Touhou Official print works for the longest time but I never got around to it and I've always wondered, where should I start with the Official Print Works? So what order would you recommend I (Or anyone else) read the Print Works in or is there no real order at all?

I need to buckle down and finally read the Touhou Official Print Works.

Well... for me, i read from the oldest first. but some people read differently.

The oldest is Touhou Kourindou ~ Curiosities of Lotus Asia, released before IN. It came in Light Novel format. and that's where the only male in touhou appears. It's a good one and my favorite till now.

Next one is Touhou Sangetsusei, the longest ongoing printworks. All in manga format. Telling stories of 3 fairies of light. started with Touhou Sangetsusei ~ Eastern and Little Nature Deity which released in 2005-2006. continued with Touhou Sangetsusei ~ Strange and Bright Nature Deity, released in 2006 -2009, then Touhou Sangetsusei ~ Oriental Sacred Place, released in 2009-2012. And the last one (for now) is Touhou Sangetsusei ~ Visionary Fairies in Shrine which first releaased in 2016 and still ongoing. it mostly a comedy and random manga.

The next one is Touhou Bunkachou ~ Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red, Released in 2005. Came in uhh... newspaper format???, it's a book, written from Aya perspective. Containing Aya's (fake-ish) news report and some extra pages of manga, the first manga is canon and the other is doujin. It has a sequel which released in 2017. Touhou Bunkachou ~ Alternative Facts of Eastern Utopia. Came in Magazine format. mostly contains fake news (well yeah some).

Next one is Touhou Shinkoubana ~ Seasonal Dream Vision. released in 2005. a semi-official fanbook. Containing doujin mangas and a short story from ZUN.

Next one is Touhou Gumon Kuju ~ Perfect Memento in Srict Sense. released in 2005 (wew... there's a lot of books in 2005, especially August). Containing encyclopedia for Touhou 6-9 69lol Characters, made by Akyuu. Continued with Touhou Gumon Kuju ~ Symposium of Post-mysticism. released in 2012. Containing encyclopedia for Touhou 10-13. and be carefu, not all that Akyuu wrote is accurate since she's not always there to record it.

The next one is Touhou Bouhougetsu ~ Silent Sinner in Blue, released in 2007-2009. came in Manga format. telling story about the Lunarians. i has a sequel, Touhou Bouhougetsu ~ Cage in Lunatic Runagate, released in 2009. came in Light Novel format. Personally last two is quite painful to read (you might want to read them first if you don't want to feel more pain after reading something better, well... it's not bad, just painful for me). and then another sequel, Touhou Bouhougetsu ~ Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth, released in 2007-2012 (why i dint put it after the SSiB? cause this manga is mostly joke) came in Manga format. and be careful with that one, it considere half(?) canon because has a lot of comedic actions that might change your point of view to the characters.

Next one is The Grimoire of Marisa. an encylopedia like book (or grimoire???) containing Spellcards researches made by Marisa. released in 2010 idk if this matters anymore

Next one is Touhou Ibarkasen ~ Wild and Horned Hermit, a popular one. released in 2010 and still ongoing. Came in manga format. not much words is'nt there?

Next one is Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrolley, a popular one. released in 2012-2017. Came in manga format.

The last one is Touhou Gairai Ihen ~ Strange Creators of Outer World. it's an official real magazine (not made by Aya, so it's trustworthy) contais interviews, talks about touhou doujin creators, some characters encyclopedia, mangas and in addition, there's more of Touhou Kourindou in it.

wew... a wall of texts..

AND take note that the music CDs have stories in them

The list is:

1. Dolls in Pseudo Paradise
  2. Ghostly Field Club
  3. Changeability of Strange Dream
  4. Retrospective 53 minutes
  5. Magical Astronomy
  6. Unknown Flower, Mesmerizing Journey
  7. Trojan Green Asteroid
  8. Neo-traditionalism of Japan
  9. Dr. Latency's Freak Report
  10. Dateless Bar "Old Adam"

So yeah... if you want to start with date, there it is
if you want to start from popularity, it's either The Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth, Wild and Horned Hermit or Forbidden Scrollery.

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Wow that's a lot of print works to get through. I've got some serious catching up to do.

I'll probably start off with Touhou Kourindou - Curiosities of Lotus Asia and just go from there.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Archived