Touhou Daily Life Manga Competition. Who's in?

Rantos

Hello and greetings from your destitute self-appointed vice-president of the Doujin Manga Club!

I've been thinking about making a little competition lately, something simple and fresh yet stylish.  The basic idea is a treasure hunt for a Touhou manga, official or otherwise, that best captures the essence of daily life in Gensokyo.  Now, what do I mean by that?  To put it cleanly, a manga that tells the story of one character or multiple characters going about their lives in a way that could be seen as an average day.  For examples: a manga wherein Sakuya is tending to the everyday duties of being a maid at the Scarlet Devil Mansion.  Or a manga about Nitori trying to make a new gadget or gizmo.  Or even a manga about Reimu trying to stave off her hunger pangs.  Just to think of a few.   Once all the submissions are gathered people would vote on which one they think best fits the theme and the winner gets bragging rights and maybe 5 bucks or something.  The rules would follow as so:

1) One submission per person.

2) Each submission can only be one chapter.  The length of the chapter may vary.

3) If you made a submission you must vote or else you sacrifice your right to be in the runnings 

4) Can't vote for your own submission

So, who would be interested?  If anything this first competition would be a trial run, see what works, see what doesn't.  Laying down the groundwork for future competitions if everyone is into it.

Good point.  Personally, I was thinking of opening up the competition to official works and doujins, but maybe I'll just make it doujins.  The window to submit would be over the course of a few days, up to a week, I'd say.  I would hope that's enough time to look for something good haha.

7 hours ago, Shrow said:

I'l give it shot.
Do you have any resources that will help find these doujins or is the idea to go in blind?

Wonderful~

I would suggest starting your hunt on Dynasty Reader.  It has a pretty good collection and you can see the tags before clicking: https://dynasty-scans.com/doujins/touhou_project 

2 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

heh... seems nice, i already got some in mind. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!?

so where we submit it? in what format, a link or uploaded directly?

For the time being, I'm mostly just gauging interest but in time I'll make a thread proper where you can just post the link.  Sound good?

5 minutes ago, Shrow said:

That's a lotta doujins 0_0
It will take me a while to find something

That's fine.  You got time.  The competition hasn't even started yet in earnest so don't feel pressed for time haha 

2 minutes ago, Drunken_Flower said:

oh yeah, one more question.

should the "daily life" considered canon?
like, Kaguya is not considered a total NEET from the canon point of view.
hands off the IoM&IoE since there's too many joke. i prefer to see the Kaguya from CiLR.

Oh, that's a good point.  Hmmmm... I want to say that "daily life" can be canon and non-cannon just to keep the pool of potential entries large.  If you can see a reason to limit entries to be only one or the other I'm all ears.

@Crusader Jerome @Shrow @Drunken_Flower @Haruto Kazuki I thank you for showing interest!  If I join in the runnings we have five which seems like a small yet decent number.  I think the plan will be as follows: On Sunday I'll make the competition thread in earnest with slightly updated rules.  Once the thread is made I will tag all willing participants and the competition will be open until Friday, five days seems like a big enough time frame considering we all have lives to live.  Once the submission deadline has been reached I'll keep the polls open for another day or so before tallying the final votes.  If any of you know a friend or two who may be interested in this type of event then feel free to tag them.  The competition is open invite with an encouraging push to join the club.

@linelblanc @Grouchy Reimu @YokaiOfMadness712 @Chabono Welcome to the club!  I'd like to extend invitation to you all as well.

Sorry for the inactivity, as you can see I no longer have administrative powers.

After beginning to work full-time and conflicts with other staff members I became inactive.

I'm always happy to provide recommendations though!

Together With Hekaa-Chan is one of my favourites, period. It's very cute and lighthearted.

Sakkun - Moriya Shrine Site Editor

Find me on:
Discord: Sakkun#3800
Twitter: SakkunTouhou

Archived