On Competition & Commiseration

Cejic

So there's an issue in my personality that's been rearing it's head a little to often, and I was curious to see if others have similar experience.

This last week I joined a Game Jam, a week long event to create a game around a basic premise. When starting into it I decided it'd be a good push to learn UE4 better, regardless of outcome or assistance gained during the jam. We're about halfway through now and I've gotten 0 assistance from anyone else, and that's frustrating. I knew it was unlikely to get assistance during these events and I've not explicitly flagged anyone down, but it's still irritating. I'm also unable to solicit advice/expertise from the group as not many seem to be using the same toolset, if any. This is mostly just a quirk of expectations of comradery that shouldn't have existed.

Moreover there's a sense of competition that I'm finding very counter productive. In the chat functions they have !motivation, which DMs a message to motivate you. I tried it once and was completely demoralized as it sent a reference to videos/compilations of other people's work. I'm sure it's not just me that gets extremely frustrated when you ask for help/information and you get told to look at others and do as they do. For me, if I'm struggling at something and I'm shown a bunch of people that already finished, I get a strong urge to quit, obviously they're better suited for it than me, why should I bother?

I dunno, it's all extremely petty, but does anyone else have times where competition isn't really a thing but the effects of it still shut down any benefit gained from working in a group?

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

I feel your pain.

It can be really demoralizing to see success of others and the lack success from myself.
Personally I wish that other people were having as much difficulty as I am.

Don't give up though, everyone completes things at a different pace.
Some people have tons of background experience and peers to help them out, and some are bound to be self-taught.

Wish I could help further but I don't know much about game programming or Gamejam.

Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if the frustration comes from an aversion to isolation/ostracism from the group you're struggling to be a part of. I genuinely doubt that if I had one other person from the group staring at it as dumbfounded as I was, regardless of the rest of them, that I'd be nearly as frustrated.

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

Oh I see.

Guess you're gonna have to try asking people. Perhaps they don't feel like giving advice because they don't get anything out of it? Or maybe because they feel like you don't want it?

Archived