Started this series about half a year ago

Dreamleaf

Originally saw a video years ago of lunatic Yuyuko and said "lolnup I could never do that" and that same thought is what ended up making me want to try it. I wanted to prove myself wrong so picked this series up last summer. It was the first time I had ever played a bullet hell and jesus was it brutal. Couldn't even complete easy mode with my continues but I stuck with it. Funny thing is the more I played the more obsessed I became. Right now I'm sitting at around 35 different normal 1ccs and having just recently completed my first hard 1cc and am currently working on doing more. My hope is that I can be good enough to achieve my first lunatic 1cc by the end of my first year with this series.

I'm still fairly new with this series but there's a lot I've learned already. This series teaches you how to fail. I've lost track of how many 1ccs I've had ended on the final spellcard of a game, or how many times I dodged massive dense patterns only to die to a single stray bullet afterwords, or practiced and perfected a stage at a higher difficulty only to turn the difficulty down and just immediately die to some ridiculously easy part. It hurts, it destroys your ego, but you push on all the same, you learn and do better and when you finally do get that last push, you know you earned it. That's what I love about this series, I feel like I need to earn every step forward and that the true challenge to overcome is myself. It's been quite a journey so far let me tell you. This series demands an extreme amount of patience but it can give a lot back in return. It's kind of funny that my confidence with this series and what I'm capable of doing has risen so much despite the fact that it spends most its time slaughtering my ego. I highly suspect that even someone who naturally struggles with these kind of games could eventually become great in time with enough determination and the right mentality.

I also feel like this series has driven me slightly crazier then normal. I noticed something was up when I went from frantically trying to dodge everything like I was having a heart attack to feeling a sense of joy and calmness from throwing myself into an ocean of death to swim in. Sometimes even just dancing in that ocean of bullets can be more satisfying then achieving a new 1cc, unless I'm fighting Clownpiece, then all I feel is stress.

I would agree on that since the one thing that lured me to this series was its music. For the main game gameplay it was interesting at the beginning for me but... I was too bad at it so i decided to just play it once in a while and i still enjoy playing it until now, but the one thing that kept me from being bored of this series was its large fandom and a lot of fan games genre also theres the fan doujin mangas which is pretty entertaining to read (I'm referring to the non R-18 doujins), seeing characters interact with each other even if it's fan works is really interesting.

In the end I'll say the thing that kept me here was the characters, fandom, and music

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I just recently got my first lunatic 1cc in Phantasmagoria of a Flower View with Medicine Melancholy, quite pleasing to be able to go from not being able to do an easy mode Touhou game 1cc to being able to complete a lunatic run in only the span of a few months. I still have tons of goals I want to reach like beating Yukari in PCB but it's still extremely satisfying to see how much I've progressed with this series but as it stands now I'm sitting at around 45 different 1ccs over the various games/characters/shot types.

For me personally, there were a lot of pieces that drew me to this series. It really started when I listened a re-remix of Night Of Nights, played by the Epic Sax Guy. Then I watched a One Minute Melee vídeo of DIO vs Sakuya.(I had no idea who this Maid was initially, and had hoped that DIO would win... I was pleasantly mistaken.)

Then came Scarlet Curiosity, which I bought on PSN. Obviously, I only knew of Sakuya so I was totally confused by what I was playing lore-wise. But it kept me interested enough to look for more, so I came across The Disappearing Of Gensokyo on Steam, and bought it along with all the DLC.(When in Rome, no?) At first, I wasn’t too convinced by this blue-haired girl holding a lightsaber.(Tenshi. Sorry for my ignorance back then.) But then as I kept playing and picked up Mystia, I picked up another tiny head for a white-haired girl, noticed she carried a katana so I was immediately interested in this girl. Youmu instantly became a favorite of mine when I actually started doing research on Touhou characters & lore.

Finally, I ended up picking up yet another game from Steam. Though, I wasn’t aware this was an official work. I thought the drawing was kinda cute. So I ended up enjoying Hidden Star in Four Seasons, despite the Japanese dialogue, but I got the gist of it thanks to Wikia pages. Eventually I nabbed Imperishable Night. (From this website, no less.) beating it a few times on Normal. Though, I got destroyed several times before winning without Continues. Next came Subterranean Animism, which I really fell in love with. No matter how much it hates me, ahaha...

Now I’m here, scooping up every available Touhou game, fan-game, Manga and merchandise I can find... And that my wallet permits.

11 hours ago, Cap’n Murasa said:

For me personally, there were a lot of pieces that drew me to this series. It really started when I listened a re-remix of Night Of Nights, played by the Epic Sax Guy. Then I watched a One Minute Melee vídeo of DIO vs Sakuya.(I had no idea who this Maid was initially, and had hoped that DIO would win... I was pleasantly mistaken.)

Then came Scarlet Curiosity, which I bought on PSN. Obviously, I only knew of Sakuya so I was totally confused by what I was playing lore-wise. But it kept me interested enough to look for more, so I came across The Disappearing Of Gensokyo on Steam, and bought it along with all the DLC.(When in Rome, no?) At first, I wasn’t too convinced by this blue-haired girl holding a lightsaber.(Tenshi. Sorry for my ignorance back then.) But then as I kept playing and picked up Mystia, I picked up another tiny head for a white-haired girl, noticed she carried a katana so I was immediately interested in this girl. Youmu instantly became a favorite of mine when I actually started doing research on Touhou characters & lore.

Finally, I ended up picking up yet another game from Steam. Though, I wasn’t aware this was an official work. I thought the drawing was kinda cute. So I ended up enjoying Hidden Star in Four Seasons, despite the Japanese dialogue, but I got the gist of it thanks to Wikia pages. Eventually I nabbed Imperishable Night. (From this website, no less.) beating it a few times on Normal. Though, I got destroyed several times before winning without Continues. Next came Subterranean Animism, which I really fell in love with. No matter how much it hates me, ahaha...

Now I’m here, scooping up every available Touhou game, fan-game, Manga and merchandise I can find... And that my wallet permits.

I remember the Dio vs Sakuya video. That was shortly after I started myself. I liked both characters a lot but I admit I was rooting for Sakuya so I was pleasantly surprised at the end loI. haven't played many of the fan games but I did recently complete Luna Nights which just got its full release on steam recently. Very solid metroidvania if you're interested. I'd definitely recommend it.

It's funny coming into this series as a newcomer. It's like jumping into this massive ocean. I've been obsessed with this series for the last 8ish months or so now and I still have tons and tons left to experience. Despite having gotten all the games from this site I ended up picking up an entire physical collection of the games, that's just how much I love this series. I still need to buy the music collection and printed works though.

Btw have you played 15 yet? That game in normal point device mode for the first time is an experience hahaha. I think 11 and 15 are my favorites so you might also like it as well if you haven't tried it yet.

@DreamleafI gotta admit, it’s pretty stellar how we were rooting for the opposite fighters to win that One Minute Melee. But I definitely agree, I’m glad Sakuya won.

And ja, I’ve been playing Luna Nights since it was first announced on Steam. I love how they utilize Sakuya’s Time Manipulation. I gotta get around to finishing it among an entire slew of 2hu games.(Think I got around 30 of them now?)

SA & LOLK are my personal favorites in the mainline series. The stories for both are top notch and in some areas; heartbreaking. I plan on buying LOLK when it arrives to Steam in April, along with Impossible Spell Card. Believe me, I’m on the same boat. I intend on collecting every bit of Touhou work I can find. Especially after finding out my local bookstore started selling the Forbidden Scrollery Manga.

Also I wish ya the best of luck in completing your collection, mate. Cheers!

16 hours ago, Dreamleaf said:

I remember the Dio vs Sakuya video. That was shortly after I started myself. I liked both characters a lot but I admit I was rooting for Sakuya so I was pleasantly surprised at the end loI. haven't played many of the fan games but I did recently complete Luna Nights which just got its full release on steam recently. Very solid metroidvania if you're interested. I'd definitely recommend it.

It's funny coming into this series as a newcomer. It's like jumping into this massive ocean. I've been obsessed with this series for the last 8ish months or so now and I still have tons and tons left to experience. Despite having gotten all the games from this site I ended up picking up an entire physical collection of the games, that's just how much I love this series. I still need to buy the music collection and printed works though.

Btw have you played 15 yet? That game in normal point device mode for the first time is an experience hahaha. I think 11 and 15 are my favorites so you might also like it as well if you haven't tried it yet.

Where on earth did you find an entire collection of physical copies for the games?

Also, the Dio vs Sakuya video. I actually only knew about Sakuya (I have heard of Dio of course, but I have not actually watched Jojo's so I don't really know much about him). I thought he was a lot more powerful so I was surprised when Sakuya won, but reading the comments of that video apparently Sakuya way outclasses Dio.

Then again, Sakuya outclasses a lot of characters. Time manipulation isn't a balanced ability, less so when you can throw like a million knives in one second.

17 hours ago, Cap’n Murasa said:

@DreamleafI gotta admit, it’s pretty stellar how we were rooting for the opposite fighters to win that One Minute Melee. But I definitely agree, I’m glad Sakuya won.

And ja, I’ve been playing Luna Nights since it was first announced on Steam. I love how they utilize Sakuya’s Time Manipulation. I gotta get around to finishing it among an entire slew of 2hu games.(Think I got around 30 of them now?)

SA & LOLK are my personal favorites in the mainline series. The stories for both are top notch and in some areas; heartbreaking. I plan on buying LOLK when it arrives to Steam in April, along with Impossible Spell Card. Believe me, I’m on the same boat. I intend on collecting every bit of Touhou work I can find. Especially after finding out my local bookstore started selling the Forbidden Scrollery Manga.

Also I wish ya the best of luck in completing your collection, mate. Cheers!

Yeah, from the sounds of it you fell in love with this series in a similar way as myself.

This is the kind of series that can keep you busy for quite a while. I've hardly even touched the PC-98 and fighting games myself yet.

And yeah, SA and LoLK had my favorite stories, especially LoLK. It's one of those games that if you try to explain the plot to people it can sound utterly ridiculous, but it has a TON of depth to it. Plus the game really pushed me to my limits which I can appreciate.

And ty! I hope yours comes along nicely as well ?

2 hours ago, buskerdog said:

Where on earth did you find an entire collection of physical copies for the games?

Also, the Dio vs Sakuya video. I actually only knew about Sakuya (I have heard of Dio of course, but I have not actually watched Jojo's so I don't really know much about him). I thought he was a lot more powerful so I was surprised when Sakuya won, but reading the comments of that video apparently Sakuya way outclasses Dio.

Then again, Sakuya outclasses a lot of characters. Time manipulation isn't a balanced ability, less so when you can throw like a million knives in one second.

One of my best friends went to Japan and then shortly after my sister and her husband went there too. I got my friend to pick me up a bunch of the games while he was there and my sister to grab the rest when she went (minus the PC-98 games). It was a good deal because they only cost around 13 dollars each there compared to the 40+ I'd be spending per copy on getting the physical copies imported over here.

That said I'm still super glad more of the games are coming to steam. Touhou is the kind of series you really need to go out of your way to discover and get into in the west, and having the games on steam will open the series up to a larger audience I hope. I'm considering buying the games a 2nd time when they're released on steam just as a show of support in the hopes that they'll continue making them a bit more available to western audiences.

One thing I find with Touhou is this series has a LOT of completely brokenly overpowered characters, a lot more so then first appears. That being said I also think this particular matchup worked out well for Sakuya do to her experience with vampires.

Archived