A Moriya Roleplay: The Pilot

Kurzov

Hello, hello! This is my attempt to prove the value of a forum-based RP. You can RP as yourself, an existing Touhou character, or your own OC. There's one main rule that I'll enforce here...

USE COMMON SENSE!

No, I am not making any kind of joke. Use common sense, keep it reasonable (or as reasonable as Touhou goes), and don't make the RP 'not fun' (I'm not trying to leave people out, I'm just trying to not let it die from inactivity). I may change the rules at any time.

Now, let's get going and let the words flow!

(By the way, to get notified when someone replies to your post, check the "Notify me of replies" button below the text entry area. Additionally, you can click the "Follow" button when inside this thread.)

Location(s):

Town Center: A small village center with a brickwork fountain lazily dribbling water down its central spire. the entire square is approximately 30 meters across with a variety of shops lining the edges of the clearing. The cobbled path through the center is covered with layer of dirt and some grass towards the edges of the commonly walked paths. A notice board sits sleepily nearby, holding a few tattered pieces of paper. Humans make the majority of passerby's giving nervous glance towards those with more dramatic appearances. 

Spoiler

I have not set up my linked account yet. Please bear with me.

Mima floats into an area in the middle of a city. "Hello, anybody there?" She looks around the area, floating a bit, but there aren't any people going out and about at the moment.

6 minutes ago, jssf1992 said:

[ Do you have anything else?  What kind of story is this, where is it, what's going on? ]

(It doesn't really take place in one particular place, but people could bring up specific locations if they wanted to. I was aiming for this to be a pretty open-ended thing. There isn't a plot out of the box, the RPers would make their own. I've added some detail to at least give some idea of a location.)

Spoiler

[in past iterations (of the drop in/out non-plot areas) we had specific environments set up across multiple threads, sets for the play as it were. People would enter/exit the threads as needed. Given you're permission I think I could find some time to spoof up the main post to get a "town square" vibe going, or you could do it yourself if you like. I will also point out that these types of free-form RPs tend to be either chaotic or slow depending on the people as it feels like a space to come in and relax/goof off like a lounge rather than a story being told, nothing wrong with it, it's just not necessarily representative of turnout/pacing of all RPs that could be done.]

A specter of a man walks into the town square, standing a little under 6' with a copper hairline reminiscent of a villainous warlock. Typical of most ethereals, his presence seems to disturb little in the immediate environment. 

"Hello..." The man barely lifts his gaze from the ground as he passes Mima, eventually taking a seat alongside a nearby fountain. After a few moments, he breaks the silence. "Waiting for someone?"

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

Spoiler

@Cejic Sure, go ahead, and I understand what you're saying at the end there.

"Oh... I suppose I was, although they're probably not going to be here anytime soon, knowing them," Mima mentioned, messing with her hair a bit. 

"I see..." The man motions towards the space in front of him, where a wooden cube, about knee height appears along with a plain chair opposite him. "Care for a game while you wait then?" 

The cube has a grid etched to its top face, with two sets of stones, one black and one white sitting in divots near the grid, there are also matching divots opposite the stones that are currently empty.

(00000)           (     )

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 

(     )           (#####)

Spoiler

I have never played Go. I've wasted a couple hours of my life playing Reversi on Windows 7, but I've never played Go.

"Sure. Not much else to do today." Mima remarks, taking a seat in the empty chair. "Would you like to go first or do you want me to go first?"

"In theory it's easier to win when going first, but if you're new to this I can go over some basics." The ghostly man gestures towards the black pieces as he mentions going first. "All thing equal, it'd only be polite to offer you the first turn I think.

Spoiler

https://www.britgo.org/intro/intro2.html

Here's a link to some basics, if you want me to highlight the important bits just play along in the RP. I will point out it's a fairly experience heavy game though. You should be able to copy/paste the code block below and edit it by double clicking. (I messed up the grid on the previous post, missed a row. it should be a 9x9.

.  .  ,  .  .  .  ,  .  .
.  .  .  .  ,  .  .  .  .

"Alright." Mima places the first stone, looking just a little bit aimless.

.  .  .  .  ,  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  #  .  .  .  .

After a bit of a pause, the specter waves a hand and a stone appears on the board. "I've not gotten a chance to look around yet. Anything you'd recommend trying?"

.  .  .  .  0  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  #  .  .  .  .

J.S.S.F.: Sure, why not?

To both: Sorry to keep you waiting. School is doing alright.

Mima takes a look at the board before responding. "As in other activities?" She moves her hand over a few places, stone in hand. She then places the stone. "Or my next plays?" She asked, then continued. "I'm just winging it right now, as for that."

.  .  .  .  0  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  #  #  .  .  .  .

"Activities, gossip, lore. Personal conundrums? Just enough to distract you from the game of course." The latter of the man's sentences rolls off with deadpan sarcasm. Another flick of his wrist produces a stone onto the board.

Spoiler

.  .  0  .  0  .  .  .  .

J.S.S.F.: Not sure. I guess just wing it?

I should pay more attention to this session.

"Psh..." Mima went off. "Not much going on with me. Just enjoying not being chased down every moment of my..." She places a stone. "...post-life, as it were."

.  .  0  #  0  .  .  .  .

"Fine with me if you've not got anything better to do." The specter addresses the new comer without looking up from the game. After placing a piece he shifts his sitting position slightly before responding to Mima. "Trouble with the locals? Must've been pretty bad to be chased..."

.  .  .  0  .  .  .  .  .

• 2 weeks later...

.  .  .  0  #  .  .  .  .

Mima placed another stone. She silently nodded, before talking. "Yeah. I was a lot more reckless back then."

Spoiler

Very sorry for the 11-day wait... my school and assignments got in the way. Gotta keep up my Pre-Calculus grade, above all else. I'll try to keep up better from now on.

"Who wasn't?" The man smirks a bit as he places the next stone. "Shame to lose that though. Recklessness can keep things interesting through the humdrum."

.  .  .  0  #  .  .  .  .
.  .  0  #  0  0  .  .  .

.  .  .  0  #  #  .  .  .

"For sure," Mima went on, "Those times were exciting." She moves her big hat a bit around her head before placing a stone.

The man apperates a stone onto the board while chiding Mima. "For someone with such an interesting path you sure do deflect conversations a lot."

.  .  .  #  #  0  .  .  .

.  .  #  #  #  0  .  .  .

"Yes." Another stone. "Sometimes you just gotta leave it behind for whatever the future has in store. But if you'd like to know, I can tell you."

"Couldn't hurt to know more about who you're playing against. If you'll indulge us with a story I'd be grateful, although..." The specter summons another stone. "There's always the option to make new ones." A playful smirk crosses the man's face as a plain katana in a black wooden sheath fades into existence at his side, leaning against the fountains stonework.

.  0  0  #  0  0  .  .  .
.  .  #  #  #  0  .  .  .