Touhou Tournament For Beginners

ChibiWolfi

As I've noticed from talking with a lot of my friends, Touhou isn't appealing due to the singleplayer nature of it's gameplay. Many people don't find it rewarding, which i find to be a shame as we all know Touhou has much more to it than the main games gameplay. Would anyone be willing to help set up a tournament for beginner Touhou players, as a way for them to get into it? Invite some of your friends who you'd like to get into touhou, etc.

>Also need help judging, new to this

It isn't a bad idea, but you'll need to define it more.  What game(s) are you planning on or considering?  It sounds like you want to do one of the two-player games, but that could mean either PoFV or one of the fighters, which would make a big difference.

I was thinking main games; I may be wrong but I remember there being a way to gauge how well someone's done based on score, lives, bombs, difficulty, even game, etc.
If that doesn't work, give one of each genre of the games as choices for competition: e.g only 16.5 in one category, only 11 in another.

And if that TOO is also too complicated, throw it out the window and just do one genre. That would depend on how many people sign up and what genre they'd prefer to do.

Edit: If there isn't a way to score main bullet hells like that, just go off score.

I think I'm gonna stick with Touhou 8 bcs it's the easiest one imo and the people playing it won't know real differences between the Touhou games.
I'll have a £10 reward, and it'll be done with lives as a priority on easy mode.  All participants will have to have their OWN Moriya Shrine account, not have a friend send in their stuff. There will be a month period where people are open to send in their replays, replying to the message I tell them to with their replay attached. I'll have a mini guide telling them how to do that. I will hold similar tournaments for the spin offs at a later date.

The only two issues I have is getting people to actually play, and making sure that those people aren't touhou vets who just made an alternate account to play. Suggestions for either of these?

Sharing about this on Discord may help, but even staff had a hard time getting interest.

As for not having experienced players, I can't think of anything honestly.  It may simply have to be on their honor (in which case, a prize would be a bad idea).

Archived