Other Game Music

Have you ever listened to the Touhou song "Mushroom Waltz" and thought, hey what if this sounded F U N K I E R

Spoiler

That's right, Len'en 00, the cafe game! When will it come out, who knows. But here's one of the best songs from the game, because it's the only song that's released so far. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse has one of the best video game soundtracks imo, this cyberpunky sound makes me shake 2ds everytime I'm hearing it  

It's funny you mention Undertale since they actually helped program the game before it released. https://undertale.fandom.com/wiki/Undertale_Developers   Though, it would have to be 2 y

Glad to see Deemo on here! Yeah, due to it being a rhythm game, it's primarily a compilation of various music genres. The biggest draw to me is how much different composers they have and all the colla

Puyo Puyo is a puzzle game from Japan, and it has some great tunes. I don't know how to explain more without sounding obsessive to a concerning degree, but I'll try my best.

(Also, I don't know how to spoiler it on mobile, so bear with me here.)

Klug's theme, "Nebula Step" gives a sort of "cheery rock"(?) vibe. On my first listen it was odd, but on the next few listens it sounded pretty nice. The Puyo Puyo Chronicle version gives the original more energy and spirit, which is great. It sounds much better and fits the character, with or without the vocals.

Nebula Step (PPC, Instrumental)

Nebula Step (PPC, Vocal Track)

(There's also "I'm The Greatest Ever" from Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary, but I haven't listened to it too much to form a solid opinion on it yet.)
I'm The Greatest Ever (PP15th)

Sig's (main?) theme, "Rapid Carefree Advice" fits it's name, being a very upbeat song to listen to. Personally the Puyo Puyo Chronicle version kind of.. ruins it? I'm not sure.. I just dislike it.

Rapid Carefree Advice (PP20th, Instrumental)

Rapid Carefree Advice (PPC, Vocal Track)

(I haven't listened to "In The Middle of Stroll" too much, but on first glance it sounds nice.)
In The Middle of Stroll (PP15th)

To move away from character themes, the Puyo Puyo theme is catchy and memorable, but my favorite version of this track is either Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary's or the one from Puyo Puyo for the Genesis.

Comparison of All Puyo Puyo Themes (~PP20th)

Edited by Cyan Person
Fixed a link or two.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ever heard of ROBLOX? Well, maybe because of the newest Touhou trend "Become Fumo" on the site. But did you know that ROBLOX, the game maker software itself, has it's own OST?

Surprised?

Well, more surprising is that the music sounds really really good! Like, I'm talking, almost-as-good-as-Len'en here. (And Len'en music can't be topped, so that's essentially perfect). Here, take a listen.

Spoiler

You might not notice at first glance, but a lot of these songs were the inspiration behind many more popular ones. For example, there's "Dignity's Childhood" which served as the inspiration for the theme of "N's Room" from Pokemon.

Spoiler

Or how the ROBLOX original TM song "Flight of the Bumblebee" served as the backbone behind Rimsky Korsakov's remix of the same name.

There's so much to go over that it's essentially an eighth-to-fifteenth year University course. But, it's about time we all appreciate the substantial impact that ROBLOX has had in shaping the way we listen to music today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For this week, I decided to try comprehending the soundtrack of Kid Icarus Uprising . . . again. I tried to get familiar with it a couple years back, but despite generally liking the music I couldn't quite figure out the unifying theme to the full compilation. I still can't figure it out; it goes from orchestral rock to smooth jazz and over to Latin folk, and I figure it's probably one of those games that you have to play/experience to truly understand the music's intentions. However, that doesn't necessarily mean I can't feature it anyway!

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Up 1

Despite how I only really like one entry in Kid Icarus, that being Uprising, it's still one of my most favourite series. I remember when I was young, watching Chuggaaconroy play through the game, despite not owning a 3DS. Heck, I still don't own a 3DS. Makes me wish the game would eventually get ported to the Switch, but with Sakurai's latest comments, I'm extremely doubtful. https://www.siliconera.com/sakurai-throws-cold-water-on-a-another-kid-icarus-uprising-game/

What makes the game stand out is it's personality. You have all of these quirky characters from different places cracking jokes, while there's still an ongoing serious story that stays connected. Each chapter it feels like something new. And the same can be said for the music. 

5 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

it goes from orchestral rock to smooth jazz and over to Latin folk

So the same goes for it's musical styles. Each one is it's own genre. It makes sense why there's so many themes going on, what with each chapter being half flying through the air dodging bullets danmaku style to the other half fighting on the ground comboing the enemy. There's no one distinct gameplay style, or music. 

5 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

one of those games that you have to play/experience to truly understand the music's intentions.

This is especially true for the first half of each chapter, which is a rail shooter where, you don't control where your player goes, and instead shoot obstacles on a predetermined path. Because of this, a lot of the music actually syncs up with what's going on on screen, which is really cool! I find the hardest part in composing a video game OST is matching the music with what the player's doing. With movies, you know what the main characters doing, so you can perfectly time the music when something intense happens, or something calm happens. But with games, because of the open ended nature of it, you have to compose this all encompassing music that can cover whatever the player can be doing at a time.

My favourite song would have to be Lightning Battle, which is, unsurprisingly, from my favourite chapter. The chapter's essentially where literally every faction in the game comes together and fights, so you have all of these characters meeting other people for the first time, all while you fly through a thunderstorm. 

Spoiler

For the reasons mentioned above, it's why the ground theme for the Chapter is a lot more ambient and laid back. With Lightning Battle, everything's time up so the intense parts happen right when everything's intense and vice versa. But on the ground, the player could be collecting healing items, fighting monsters, or just AFK. So you can't have a super intense theme play if they're just like, eating food or something lol.

Spoiler

• Thanks 1
  • Up 1

I found a really good game called Manifold Garden and it has one of the most calming and emotional soundtracks i have heard, it is puzzle exploration so if anyone is interested its on steam, i think

• Like 1
  • Up 1

By now, I figure my stronger preferences in music are detectable. If not, then I'm succeeding in my goal of variety. Either way and to that end, this week should be a bit more unusual:

Guilty Gear XX

Spoiler

Without question, this is a hard metal soundtrack. Each theme uses a gimmick to make it stand out from the others, usually a contrasting instrument or style. Holy Orders employs a harpsichord, Babel Nose features some oriental influences, and The Original has interludes that almost sound like they came from a different game, but the electric guitar is always present in one way or another.

Despite this not being my usual cup of tea, the track Blue Water Blue Skies caught my interest, and eventually led me to investigate the full OST. That's why it's GGX2 specifically; the piece I came across was from that game, and I've not been motivated to search beyond it.

Anyway, it's really late, so Imma come back to the tournament tomorrow. G'night!

Bonus post, because this technically counts as "game music," but also wouldn't work for a weekly feature.

Friday Night Funkin' mod for an Undertale AU that I know absolutely nothing about. This is the kind of application of the FNF style that I had hoped for when I first came across the game.

Spoiler