Other Game Music

Swag_Koishi9898

Almost forgot (it's been a while, after all); I intended to link this thread for posterity's sake, same way I link some Touhou music threads to Musical Discoveries. I prefer to have things organized and consolidated for ease of reference.

• Like 1

TTT

I don't normally post out-of-schedule here, but given the missed week and future plans, I want to avoid wasting a regular slot on a Fracture Feature, and I'm trying to get these tracks off the to-do list.

Spoiler

Noteblock's compositions for Danza include several interludes for attacks that, in theory, add up to a fuller piece. In reality, they don't fit together too well, mostly due to tempo fluctuations. Nonetheless, a few attempts have been made to rectify them to each other, and this is so far the best version I've found. Ideally, someone would make a remix incorporating all the parts with the freedom of custom arrangement.

Spoiler

A recent update to Crypt of the Necrodancer added Hatsune Miku as a playable character, and more importantly featured an curated playlist of songs for the levels. While not technically a proper soundtrack expansion the way the Danganrompa crossover was, Baranowsky did compose two new pieces for it.

Spoiler

Finally, Celeste team produced a short spinoff game earlier this year in the N64 style, appropriately titled Celeste 64. Raine returned as composer, and as expected the resulting tracks are masterful. While the highlight is certainly Next Steps, I think it's more appropriate to feature Cassettappella for the novelty.

TTT

A few names hold an unofficial honor in indie game music for their work in the emergent times of the industry, back when indie developers were considered more amateur. I got used to seeing Ben Prunty, Austin Wintory, and Laura Shigihara high up on lists of the most important people in the development of indie game music, and I took this as an indication that I ought to seek out their work. My expectations were set by a different stage of the industry, however, and it took me some time to understand what made these soundtracks special apart from other projects. The one that confused me most was Plants vs. Zombies.

This is a relatively simple soundtrack, with limited instrumentation, lesser quality VSTs, and little variance in style. On the other hand, the melodies are competently constructed, and the leitmotif usage is excellent. While not [initially] a mobile game, the sound is similar to mobile game projects; few mobile games of similar size would put this much effort into their music, however. I'm left wondering about the significance of this title when it released, and whether it incentivized a greater degree of effort in the wider indie game industry.

Spoiler

TTT

Doki Doki Literature Club is one of my favorite games. It belongs to the meta horror genre (thank you that video for letting me know what genre these games belong to), basically just 4th wall breaking stuff. You think I'm gonna share DDLC ost right? WRONG. This is gonna be about Irisu Syndrome, which is a game that the creator of DDLC even said to be his inspiration while making DDLC.

Irisu Syndrome is also one of my favorite game, the deep layered story (how I feel) makes me relate to it. It's a puzzle game with falling blocks that you shoot at, and the music accompany with it is relaxing AND very good....and sad? Sometimes sad I guess.

But yeah this game is apparently the first meta horror game. The whole soundtrack is awesome.

Spoiler

Timestamps for songs that I picked out:

00:00 About 10 hours looking at the ceiling

03:36 I Didn't Talk to Anyone Today

11:07 A Cat, a Rabbit, and a Old Story

14:23 USAGI Note

Also leitmotif all over the place, well, in some songs. 

Kinda wanna add the last song with the last timestamp from the vid tho, but it kinda spoils a bit because of the theme and whatnot.

Oh well....too much trouble....whatever... (reference from the game lol)

Edited by Jaz:3
I edited this 2 times
  • Like 1

^

I don't usually have anything significant to say about other features, but just this once I want to emphasize how much I appreciated this. Granted I come across quite the variety of things in my searchings, but there's still plenty of soundtracks I'm unlikely to ever encounter normally, specifically with less propagated titles and especially in game genres that I'm less engaged with. I don't imagine I'd ever have heard of Irisu Syndrome on my own, and I really enjoyed it; so thank you!

• Thanks 1

TTT

Randomly coming across a piece of music from a game I've never heard of has consistently led to some of my most memorable findings. Nonetheless, I was some reluctant to follow up on the piece I found from Melty Blood: Type Lumina, due both to the odd name and my past relatively disappointing experiences with other fighting games (much as I loved specific pieces from Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear, subsequent investigation didn't turn up as much as hoped for). I finally decided to bite the bullet though, and for once I was blown away.

Despite the games apparent aesthetic, the music favors a variety of dynamic jazz tunes with creative instrumentation and fair progression, with an overall mood I'd describe as "energetic chill." This doesn't mean the soundtrack is strictly limited to one style though; rock, electronic, and orchestral compositions are scattered through, all maintaining the tone while still being unique. I wasn't able to find much information on the composers for this title, other than the lead composer being someone named Raito; given the cohesiveness of the collection, I wouldn't be surprised to hear he did most of the work himself.

This was one of the times I enjoyed a soundtrack so much that I went looking for its distribution. Surprisingly this is one of those situations where the soundtrack never got officially released, and by now it's unlikely to ever be. As an odd consequence, I had a harder time deciding which tracks not to include, given that I wouldn't be able to hear them much going forward without actively looking for them. Hopefully no one minds the larger feature.

Spoiler

Next month is another series theme. I'm locked in now, whatever my reservations.

• Like 1

TTT

4 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

^

I don't usually have anything significant to say about other features, but just this once I want to emphasize how much I appreciated this. Granted I come across quite the variety of things in my searchings, but there's still plenty of soundtracks I'm unlikely to ever encounter normally, specifically with less propagated titles and especially in game genres that I'm less engaged with. I don't imagine I'd ever have heard of Irisu Syndrome on my own, and I really enjoyed it; so thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much that you wrote to thank me! I'm doing my part on making this game and the music more known to other people cuz I like da game. It's nice to see someone enjoy something as much as I do. omg... I had an impact on someone's life! (even if it is very small). Just like how I get to know some music thx to people sharing it out of their passion? I think that's what it is.

and my past relatively disappointing experiences with other fighting games (much as I loved specific pieces from Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear

Ain't no way you play fighting game tooooo!!! AND you know/listen to guilty gear? Didn't expect to see an FGC person here...wait...idek if u play fighting games that often, oh well, but I think I saw somewhere that u did a feature on guilty gear already tho...I think it was Xrd (haven't listened to the osts yet).

Next month is another series theme. I'm locked in now, whatever my reservations.

U know what? I'm calling it Right NOW! the next series is definitely, will be, absolutely, no way mistaking, can't be wrong, must be, have to be GUILTY GEAR!!!! STRIVE (cus u did killer instinct already if im correct, somehow i remembered)

Im sorry if I couldn't hold my thoughts, it's too much and now it's overflowing.