Other Game Music

Swag_Koishi9898

I think CrossCode is more popular than it appears (a quiet fandom, perhaps). The music makes me think of an earlier period of VGM. That doesn't make sense, but I'm not sure how to put it into words.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

I like the revamped aesthetic for the site. It's a bit glitchy, but playing with my magnification settings easily fixes things.

This week's offering is from Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game. Aside from having an obnoxious title and no longer being available, the game has an impressive soundtrack. Catchy, if not too imaginative, with a fun bounce throughout.

Spoiler

• Like 1

TTT

I posted an I am Setsuna remix some time ago, but never posted anything from the actual soundtrack. So I'm rectifying that now.

Spoiler

I know the general consensus is that the piano gimmick was a budget-driven decision, but I consider it to be rather a novelty.

• Like 1

TTT

Toby Fox and Temmie Chang teamed up with Camellia to create the soundtrack for Temmie's latest game, Dweller's Empty Path. I'd expected it to be a small project like Escaped Chasm, but the OST is twenty-nine tracks, so now I'm not sure. The music itself covers a wide variety of styles (as usual), and I suspect this project will gain more of a following given time.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

Youtube recommended tricked me into discovering the Sword & Shield soundtrack this week. I don't normally listen to Pokemon related music, but I've honestly grown rather fond of this soundtrack.

Spoiler

In case anyone's wondering why Marnie's Theme instead of Battle! Marnie: I'm not sure if it's the Youtube posting compression or part of the piece itself, but Battle! Marnie sounds off to me. There's lots of really good remixes of it though, so definitely check those out!

Also, I managed to resist linking Battle! Battle Tower!

. . . Wait.

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

I've put off Sonic Mania because I didn't want to do all my favorite soundtracks at once. But the time has finally come!

It's more difficult than normal for me to pick a few tracks to represent the whole, if only because I didn't want to go with the obvious ones. That's what I did in the end, though. ????

Spoiler

I consider this soundtrack to be on the list of "might post here again someday," alongside Chrono Trigger and Cave Story (among others). But I won't be doing that before there's more Okami in the thread.

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

I have two OST for you guys .(that's my intro)

First off , the ost is called "Kass' Theme" from The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild ,  it's a remake by Mr.ACCORDIAN and personally I think it sounds great. You can also find the original ost from Youtube . 

Spoiler

I don't know if everyone have listened to this already but this ost from Final Fantasy XII is so beautiful , it sounds like something from a Disney's film .

Spoiler

Hope you enjoyed ! 

• Like 2

How did the accordion come about? "I want to attach a keyboard to a bagpipe." Probably the same guy who figured out how to cook lobster.

OneShot is one of my favorite games. Its story and characters have stuck with me in ways that very few games have accomplished. The music is of the sort that becomes nostalgic quickly. I'm not sure what it may sound like to someone unfamiliar with the game, but hopefully it still invokes the endearing atmosphere it was composed for.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

I'm going to experiment with a themed month. Some soundtracks are difficult to adequately advertise with just 2-4 examples; this has less to do with size and more with style. I don't intend to do it often, but I'd like to try it at least once and see how it goes.

Crypt of the Necrodancer has one of the most intricate legacies of any soundtrack I've come across (though nowhere close to Touhou, of course). Each track carries the signature heavy beats of rhythm game music woven into a strong melody. For the most part, there is a consistent atmosphere to the pieces in keeping with the theme.

Spoiler

• Like 2

TTT

Continuing from last week:

On release, Crypt of the Necrodancer had two alternate soundtracks which played for different playable characters. These were variant soundtracks which remixed the original pieces. After release, there were four more variants added into the game for a total of seven.

Spoiler

There were also two substitute soundtracks in the themes of Danganronpa and Groove Coaster, respectively. The latter was a Switch exclusive, and is unavailable on Youtube to my knowledge.

Spoiler

Also happy Cirno day!

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

Continuing the month's theme:

Outside of the game, there have been a number of soundtrack variant projects attempted, with varying levels of success. To date, there have been three completed projects, one more prospective completion on the way, and two significantly progressed projects which are likely to remain unfinished. None of these are in the game, but are still of professional quality for the most part and worth a listen.

Spoiler

Additionally, there have been a number of soundtrack variant overlay projects for Crypt of the Necrodancer. Because all of the remixes have to maintain the same tempo and length to work in the game, it is possible to overlap them for a unique sounding experience. At least two variants were composed with this idea in mind.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

As a fan of the Monster Hunter Series, I just want to say I AM BEYOND HYPED FOR MONSTER HUNTER RISE!!!! I'm already in love with the Japanese aesthetic of the game, and seeing the new movement options expanded even further than Monster Hunter World, and just... yeah... There are even shrine maidens, and felynes pounding mochi, and the first environment is a ruined shrine in the wilderness, and FULL VOICE ACTING, and...

When I finally get to play this game I will make posts about the music! But for now, since this is the other game music thread, I should probably share some music here instead of just hyping up for something non-touhou related, so let's get back to Monster Hunter World. I haven't actually played this game in the series (RIP my PC specs) but I've been listening to some of its soundtrack recently. It's been interesting hearing how they remastered some old themes in this game, especially since returning monsters' themes have basically never been updated before World. I wonder what they will use for Monster Hunter Rise, the World versions, the classic versions, or make new versions? Also worth noting that World used an adaptive soundtrack that would change according to different situations, but the versions I'm posting here are their standard battle themes.

Spoiler

Nargacuga and Brachydios's themes are two which are just really upgraded from their previous versions, with new parts to make them longer, too.

Glavenus's new theme is interesting, rather than a direct upgrade it feels like it goes in more of a different direction than the original. I like the original, but I also like this one for different reasons, which is something I can appreciate.

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 1

So I've covered CotND's OST, it's official variants, and some ambitious fan projects. It is the versatility of the music that has held my interest in it. But there was a special aspect to the soundtrack, a bonus feature of sorts, that had initially caught my attention. The game uses a artificial vocal accompaniment as a game mechanic, resulting in secondary versions for most tracks. This mechanic is known as "The Shopkeeper." Just to clarify, this is not a real person's voice.

Spoiler

The effect this accompaniment has on the soundtrack as a whole is difficult to articulate. I suspect it was conceptualized as a gimmick or novelty, but the resulting harmony can often strengthen already well-composed pieces. Not to mention the surprising amount of enjoyment that can be had in singing along.

Speaking of which, an alternate accompaniment to the Shopkeeper was later added into the game due to the efforts of an ambitious vocalist. It might take a bit more to get used to, but I've come to admire his performances (especially for Zone 3).

Spoiler

BTW, Daoust has covered all of CotND's Shopkeeper tracks, including the above featured Styx and Stones.

That's technically it for Crypt of the Necrodancer. But I'll have one last thing to address next week before fully moving on.

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

TTT

Officially rounding up this themed month, I present CotND's spin-off sequel, Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the Necrodancer feat. The Legend of Zelda.

Spoiler

Cadence of Hyrule is everything its predecessor was and more. The music is a mix of remixes from the Legend of Zelda series and a few original tunes. I cannot do it justice in its entirety, but I think I can properly represent it.

(also Shopkeeper ?)

Spoiler

There are currently six variants with varying coverage of the soundtrack, plus otamatone accompaniment as an alternate Shopkeeper. Daoust is not in the game, but he is currently working on covers (and his skills are getting better with time).

Spoiler

As with everything posted in this thread, I encourage anyone who likes what they hear to look further into the featured soundtrack. It's rarely possible to post all the best tracks from a game, and you may find a piece you enjoy much more. Regardless, I hope everyone enjoys the music.

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

This week, Night in the Woods. I don't like the game (personal reasons), but the music is pleasantly unique, switching back and forth between atmospheric and intense spooky. It's also one of the only soundtracks I've found that creatively incorporates a honky-tonk piano.

Spoiler

TTT

I am loathe to admit that I even know of this game's existence, but good music can exist independent of its source (as evidenced by the Follin Brothers). Thus, as this week's late night entry, here is Rabi-Ribi.

Spoiler

Safe-search will not save you; you have been warned.

Edited by Ken Hisuag

TTT

20 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I am loathe to admit that I even know of this game's existence, but good music can exist independent of its source (as evidenced by the Follin Brothers). Thus, as this week's late night entry, here is Rabi-Ribi.

Reveal hidden contents

Safe-search will not save you; you have been warned.

rabi-ribi isn't that bad of a game...

Howdy! Stay puffie! ^-^