Sub-Categories for Doujin Music

Maden

Sub-Categories for the music we offer  

3 members have voted

1. 1. If we add sub-categories for the music, what would you prefer?

• Dividing by genre
    • Dividing by artist
    • Other option (explain by making a comment)

Alright, if we want to add more music soon, it might not be the best idea to squeeze everything into the same broad category. For things to look nice and making it easier to find, we need to organize that stuff.

My ideas are either dividing them by genre or the artist. Both options have pros and cons.
To keep it somewhat short, I'm just going to list the disadvantages that I could think of. It might not be the absolute truth, so a discussion about the pros and cons is welcome.

Possible problems for the division into genres would be:
- Some artists could play in different genres, sometimes in the same album and sometimes different for each album, making it difficult to put some of them into a specific category.

-The same artist could be split up into different categories due to that, which could be inconvenient for people wanting an overview of the circle (Even though the discography part in my descriptions of the albums can help with that)

Possible problems for the division into artists would be:
- Bad for people searching for certain genres without having a clue about the different circles.

- Probably annoying to add new categories every time a new artist is being uploaded.

- List of sub-categories could potentially fill the whole screen as more content is being added.

So yeah... Dividing by the Artist is the most common one (according to me).
wait.. artist or circle? a circle can contain multiple artists, and there's a lot more artists than circles.
i'm gonna consider it as the circles.

And as you say "Bad for people searching for certain genres without having a clue about the different circles."
I think it is true, i got tripped with O'Life Japan. BUT you can add description mentioning the genres (better if you add more description like the vocals, composers, release date etc. but yeah... it's a pain), followed by a drop down menu containing music list and lastly the discography.

Then "Probably annoying to add new categories every time a new artist is being uploaded."
Indeed, i can't say anything about that. There's Myriads of circles out there.

"List of sub-categories could potentially fill the whole screen as more content is being added."
Do you really need to do a sub-category? i think it's better if all put in the Music category, then make circles list (even better with thumbnails. YEAH IT'S A PAIN). Page separated by Alphabetical order (or just list em all in one page). then albums sorted by release dates. but yeah.. people would need to open more pages to be there.

Dividing by artist is a bit more convenient because:
-You don't need to separate a music each time, scattering the whole album
-People get what the circle pick for them, and sometimes an album contain a story
-it's more common (according to me)
The downside:
-There's a lot of em
-Sometimes an artist release music themself

It's not fair if i bring up the artist listing only, here's the Genre opinions
-Less of em
-People get what they like

Another options. Warning, i'm not so serious about this.

Spoiler

By Release dates
By Instruments (what even)
By Rating
By Size (why?)
By Track Number (BRING THE CHAOS)
By Price (does it matter? it's free here)

we really need more site editors

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

20 minutes ago, Drunken_Flower said:

wait.. artist or circle? a circle can contain multiple artists, and there's a lot more artists than circles.
i'm gonna consider it as the circles.

Aye, I meant circles. I'm not really used to the terminology, so I mostly end up using them like they are the same thing :^)

24 minutes ago, Drunken_Flower said:

Do you really need to do a sub-category? i think it's better if all put in the Music category, then make circles list (even better with thumbnails. YEAH IT'S A PAIN). Page separated by Alphabetical order (or just list em all in one page). then albums sorted by release dates. but yeah.. people would need to open more pages to be there.

Yeah, I could create an article and list the circles in alphabetical order etc.
That could also be a possible option.

Alright, I think I will work on a neat separate page soon and list the circles in alphabetical order. When I list the available discography for each circle in that article, I also avoid having to copy-paste the discography to every single description.
I'll just see how exactly I do this as I go.

I'm keeping this poll and topic open for a while. Just in case someone else has suggestions and wants to contribute in any way.

Archived