Touhou 19 Tournaments?

LavvieTheKitsune

I have a bit of a proposition as to how the versus-type gameplay will affect the latest Touhou game. Do you think that if this game catches on more than PoFV that we might be seeing Touhou tournaments popping up? I would really like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Would you enter a Touhou tournament? Why or why not? I would personally enter one, since I like the idea of seeing how my dodging skills stack up against others. Although I am not the best, (I still have never done a normal mode 1cc yet...) I think it would be fun to give it a shot!

I also wonder how these tournaments might be organized and ran. Would they be more likely to be in person at conventions or completely online? I'd like to see them in person, because it would be fun to see more community get togethers. :D

• Like 1

Recently there was a Touhou 9 tournament at TouhouFest so I don't really see the reason why not make one for Touhou 19 as well. I think it would be really cool for this kind of thing to be in person but I doubt that there will be enough people (I think the reason that so many people joined the PoFV one was because it was inside TouhouFest)

As great as an in-person one sounds, I don't really tend to go to conventions at all, so I'd likely only join one personally if it was held online, and even then it's unlikely. It's a really cool idea, though, and I hope it takes off in one way or another.

What concerns me is the stability of the online. I don't know how good ZUN is at making a good online experience, hopefully due to the kind of gameplay it will be enjoyable as it's looks less latency intensive than fighting/racing games.

On 6/4/2023 at 6:13 PM, jankop said:

Recently there was a Touhou 9 tournament at TouhouFest so I don't really see the reason why not make one for Touhou 19 as well. I think it would be really cool for this kind of thing to be in person but I doubt that there will be enough people (I think the reason that so many people joined the PoFV one was because it was inside TouhouFest)

Touhou is rather popular. I'm sure that there would be enough people to hold a tourney at the right event like an anime convention. It would be more likely to take place at a large event, though. The issue would not be getting enough people to play but rather would people be willing to help keep track of things.

On 6/5/2023 at 1:34 PM, Pepi said:

What concerns me is the stability of the online. I don't know how good ZUN is at making a good online experience, hopefully due to the kind of gameplay it will be enjoyable as it's looks less latency intensive than fighting/racing games.

Considering the nature of the games, with even the latest one on Steam having a pretty low minimum requirement (according to the store page you can run Unconnected Marketeers on a win8 machine), I am sure that the online functionality of the upcoming game will be smooth as butter! I have good faith in ZUN. <3

• Like 1