The Touhou connection you were not expecting to find...

CountVonNumenor

Have you ever stumbled upon something you were not expecting to se be connected with the Touhou community and games? What would be one of the places where you were not expecting to find Touhou, but still found it?

In my case, probably the connection I was never expecting to make was between Satou Rina and the Touhou fan-game Koumajou Densetsu 2. How does it come? Rina was the voice actor for Reimu in that game. To my surprise, the voice actor for a lot of characters that caught my interest (and one that I really like a lot) proves to have also been involved not only with Touhou, but also one of my top 10 favorite 2hus. 

image.png7otg7le7z8xa1.png

Now, she not just the voice of Tanamachi Kaoru, Eula and Tennessee & California, but also the voice of our favorite red-white miko. And since her birthday was just a week ago, back on the 2nd of May (funny how it coincides with my father's birthday), I would like to wish a belated happy birthday to Rina.

And now, enough fanboying on my side... What are some of the most unexpected connections and contributions to the Touhou community you have seen? Is there anything or anyone you were not expecting to do anything connected to the series?

• Like 3

spacer.png

Actually, I had the same experience when I picked up Azure Reflections, the side-scrolling STG fangame.

Cirno was the third playable character in it, and throughout my playthrough, I couldn't get my mind off of her very distinct voice. I knew I'd heard it from somewhere, but I put my finger on it. Then I made it to the credits and found out that she was voiced by Yuka Iguchi.

Screenshot2023-05-09at16-16-53AzureReflections.thumb.png.56edc178106d7950a08c89b9e49a9d9f.png

For the record, if you haven't played Azure Reflections to hear it for yourself, I strongly encourage looking up a playthrough to hear her voice. It's fantastic casting, and I consider her voice to be the canon Cirno voice. Yuka's got a lot of VA roles under her belt, but I knew her specifically because she played my favorite character, Hinata Miyake, from my favorite anime, A Place Further than the Universe.

actor-hinata-miyake-559324_large.jpg.ba25f8add31083f0019929cc1fe10c59.jpg

After finding that, I also found out that she voiced Tewi in A Summer Day's Dream. Much less interesting, but it also showed me that Reimu there was played by Mai Nakahara, who plays Nagisa Furukawa in my second favorite anime, Clannad.

So yeah. It was cool to see that everything related to Japan does eventually come around to Touhou if you look hard enough. :KoishiXD:

Oh, and @CountVonNumenor, you probably noticed, but in Azure Reflections, Rina Satou does reprise her role as Reimu there too. It wasn't shown in the list you provided, but I figured you'd appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

Shanghai Doll knows what you've done.  162257545___alice_margatroid_and_shanghai_doll_touhou_drawn_by_nekoguruma__abeeeaa945645f8ecfdbbe81a2857a13(5).jpg.6da63ce849c93f73625172cb4a291f2a.jpg  I hope you're proud of yourself.

22 hours ago, SoundOfRayne said:

Actually, I had the same experience when I picked up Azure Reflections, the side-scrolling STG fangame.

Cirno was the third playable character in it, and throughout my playthrough, I couldn't get my mind off of her very distinct voice. I knew I'd heard it from somewhere, but I put my finger on it. Then I made it to the credits and found out that she was voiced by Yuka Iguchi.

Screenshot2023-05-09at16-16-53AzureReflections.thumb.png.56edc178106d7950a08c89b9e49a9d9f.png

Huh, nice to see I am not the only one. Also two things:
1) wait, Rina was involved with one more Touhou fan-game?! That's awesome!
2) You have made me curious for the Cirno and her VA part now....

• Like 1

spacer.png

I don't know if this counts, but I was not expecting to find Lunarians in an Analog Horror by Mr. Manticore called "The Nixonverse/The House in The Ocean".

Now whether or not Mr. Manticore knows Touhou(which would not surprise me considering how shitpost-y and UTTERLY METH FUELED his work is) is unknown, but the similarities between NV Lunarians and 2hu Lunarians are quite surprising...

This is what an NV Lunarian(though none other than the Queen actually shows up on screen) looks like: and yes, that's actually a thing in The Nixonverse, apparently Frank Sinatra in Mr. Manticore's multiverse is an Eldritch Deity and a shade of God with the ability to Perfectly Assimilate down to the quantum level ANYTHING.

download (1).jpeg

Not only that, they also have similarities with KKHTA Lunarians, they once tried to form a bond with humans, but their Queen who is Donyale Luna got shot in the face by a NASA Turbolaser, this pissed her off as procedes to "Evict from Reality" the human in charge of the Lunar mission that led to this encounter, and she saw it as a declaration of war. 

They tries to Assimilate humans into being part of the Lunar Kingdom, and was erasing human language and replacing it with Lunarian at a conceptual level. But is stopped by Frank Sinatra, who after turning into a mass of Assimilating anomalous matter due to the grief of having dropped "his" reporter girlfriend off the fucking Chrysler Building goes insane, and annihilates the planet and the moon replacing it exactly as it was with no one noticing anything different, except that the Lunarians were forcibly written out of existence, because "Alcatraz Matter" rejects whatever Lunarians are made of in a 'Fate defying/impossible' move called "Alcatraz Gambit/Alcatraz Checkmate"

Lunarians in The House In The Ocean also also use their Planet destroying cannons to erase the Earth after it was marked as VOID by a constellation created by a rogue A.I budget Mechagodzilla called CHASE. For more context(which is probably very much needed here) just watch Mr. manticore's videos on YT

They're not racists however, in fact, they're very much all gaga about "Equality", and are hostile towards all "Inequality/disturbance to a balanced system". 

If an NV Lunarian was in Touhou? I don't think they'd be impure or pure, their Queen(a shade of Richard Nixon who ascended and became God, just watch the series) was made of Template/Alcatraz Matter(her's was inert, that's why Frank overpowered it), she's as impure or pure as atoms or neutron or protons or electrons or quarks, that is to say, she doesn't belong in either category, since from my understanding to be pure in 2hu is to remove oneself from lively or deathly things. NV Lunarians don't care about that, they're like rocks, or conscious moving statues powered by Magic and driven by a soul. A Lunarian citizen is also made of Moon dust, a consciousness, and Magic. So same thing with the Queen.

I wonder how a 2hu Lunarian would react to an NV Lunarian and vice versa.

images (8).jpeg

The Queen

images(11).jpeg.e6781f8c9f40606802c835b80e044f69.jpeg

D-Day Knight

images(12).jpeg.35a84b7751327acfe10e589e84d11932.jpeg

CHASE

Screenshot_2023-05-14-12-29-37-03_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.thumb.jpg.38f9114ed064162facae4b628846a304.jpgScreenshot_2023-05-14-12-29-41-76_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.thumb.jpg.53628a98cb067e1ec42526c6ebfef086.jpgScreenshot_2023-05-14-12-29-51-81_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.thumb.jpg.310be6305acec54cd32278591df9cfa4.jpgScreenshot_2023-05-14-12-29-58-54_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.thumb.jpg.ffe03eb8e1060156a8d598caa4f93a36.jpg

Lunarian planet destroying cannons.

images(13).jpeg.469842f565b752234c4297baf3faf84b.jpeg

Lunarian Cloud Ship

images(14).jpeg.f69a3a40816cdb86647ae80a8cb9c310.jpeg

Lunarians can apparently insta-lobotomize people lol.

We don't know how advanced their tech is, but judging from these alone, and the fact the their Queen is a shade of Nixon who transcends space time the laws of nature and is Omniscient post-apotheosis, well...

If you thought KKHTA was pure insanity, then sorry to break it to you, but Mr. Manticore's work is what you get The Joker himself tries to make a story. To give you an idea, only in Mr. Mverse can getting vaporized turn you into an immaterial, immortal, transcendent being independent from all fundamental laws, existing simply AS for no other reason- Screenshot_2023-05-14-19-49-32-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.03d5958f992d19b56f27d1d25a697abb.jpg

In other words, getting nuked makes you invisible, and being invisible apparently turns you into an Outer god. Only brilliant madness could ever come up with this. It makes sense too, after all the only things that are invisible in the universe, things that exist, but cannot be touched by light, and since they cannot be touched by it, that means they don't physically exist, that means they don't care about physical limitations

Dark Matter and Dark Energy are the only known invisible things in existence, and those can move the whole Universe.

His works BETTER WRITTEN than KKHTA too, like It's... surprisingly immaculate, the writing is sublime, there are very little plot-holes, "inconsistencies" are purposefully put in place to perfectly bind the storylines together later, making the work consistent instead, and not mention more depressing.

In KKHTA that whole shebang was a one-time thing, in Mr. Mverse the whole universe could end at a whim just cause some Lovecraftian deity got bored, and they could move to a different universe and torture everyone there instead this time.

Mr. M is very good at tying together multiple, seemingly unrelated works under his portfolio, and the drama and characters are beautifully written. All that on top of layers of existential crises.

Edited by Paracausality
  • Like 1

I found a pretty neat connection in one of the most unexpected places, in the PCSX2 Emulator for PS2. 
In this emulator, you can choose what theme to use (with a few built-in themes). 

What's the name for the red theme? Scarlet Devil. 
Am I overthinking this? 
image.thumb.png.e4975508a0cd1f4cde749bcd3e8f3b34.png

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Haha 1