Any good Touhou RPG recommendations?

Cosmic

Fairly straightforward, really. I'm in the mood to play an RPG with some Touhou characters and wanted to know what you guys would recommend. Ideally I'd like something with a large cast of characters, and who I actually get to see interact with each other, but feel free to suggest anything you think is good. 

• Like 1

I'm biased towards Puppet Dance Performance: Shard of Dreams, as it's my favorite Touhou game of all time. Might not be what you're asking for though as it's pretty much Pokemon. Other than that, I love its soundtrack and the inclusion of the whole cast up to 15 (the puppets are exactly that- just puppets- while the actual characters are somewhere in the world).

• Like 2

I have 2. Genius of Sappheiros and healing nature are both splendid. I love genius of Sappheiros for its difficulty and good-ish characters, but it has overall amazing gameplay. Healing Nature is better story wise, and has good gameplay too. As a RPG fan, these two do the best. I will also recommend TPDP as well, because it is also my favorite fangame too. 

• Like 1

I highly recommend checking out Labyrinth of Touhou 2 (AKA Gensokyo and the Heaven Piercing Tree), there's over 50+ characters to choose from, 100+ hours worth of content, challenging yet (mostly) fair gameplay, fun character customization, equipment crafting and so much more! Plus there's references to many videogames and anime, which is neat.

If you're okay with playing through a Dungeon Crawler/DRPG than I say give this game a shot, it's worth your time.

Edit: Make sure to look up tips and guides for the game from the Touhou wiki and steam. :)

Edited by TheM3ds
  • Like 1

I just like genso wanderer reloaded and lotus labyrinth R
I played TPDP too but couldn't bring myself to finish it
I got a lot of rpgs from here and I always get lazy to play them through ☺️

#1f1e33

A lot of recommendations here, most of which I've never heard of but am definitely willing to give a look, but there is one in particular I'd like to ask about:

14 hours ago, Sci said:

I'm biased towards Puppet Dance Performance: Shard of Dreams, as it's my favorite Touhou game of all time. Might not be what you're asking for though as it's pretty much Pokemon. Other than that, I love its soundtrack and the inclusion of the whole cast up to 15 (the puppets are exactly that- just puppets- while the actual characters are somewhere in the world).

I actually tried playing that one a while ago, but I remember having difficulties getting it to run. I don't remember what the issue was specifically, but are there any particularly common issues regarding the game that I'm not aware of?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I actually tried playing that one a while ago, but I remember having difficulties getting it to run. I don't remember what the issue was specifically, but are there any particularly common issues regarding the game that I'm not aware of?

there is a youtube link with a guide on how to install the game on its page here in moriya shrine

just take a look at that and good luck! (the title is not called "agonizing installation" for no reason)

• Up 1

#1f1e33

On 5/6/2023 at 4:31 PM, yukayay said:

(the title is not called "agonizing installation" for no reason)

Late response but this sounds ominous, very curious as to how bad it could be now :AyaSmug:

I second TPDP even though I never finished it completely (played the Extended version and it kinda feels like there's too much content at times). 

Fantasy Maiden Wars is one of my favorites, though it's more of a Tactical RPG. I ended up liking Sengoku Gensokyo, but it's more of sim game with some RPG elements when it comes to battling over territory. Genso Wanderer is okay, but more of a mystery dungeon sort of game. 

On 5/5/2023 at 1:45 PM, Cosmic said:

Ideally I'd like something with a large cast of characters, and who I actually get to see interact with each other

Really wish there were more Touhou RPGs that did this (or at least ones I could find). Personally, I kinda need something more than a stat stick with a name and portrait attached to it.

2 hours ago, Ka Takane said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Touhou Mother yet. If you've ever played EarthBound or Mother 3, then you will definitely enjoy playing it and its sequel! :D

Ooo, sounds interesting. Personally, I really enjoyed Mother 3 (although I never finished it for some reason) but couldn't stand playing Earthbound, so I'd be interested to see if I enjoy this one or not.

• Like 1