Where did your username come from?

Juuni

A huge piece of history for everyone is their username online. Where did yours come from? Mine is from when I was very young, playing typing games in the computer lab. I hadn’t had a solid username yet, and I was obsessed with Pokémon sun and moon, which just released at the time. I also loved Kirby, and thus, loved meta knight. So, my first username became Metalunalion, with parts from meta knight, lunala, and solgaleo. This would be it for a long time, but along the way it became metalunalium for ease of pronunciation and the suffix on Z-crystals. Eventually, I got hit by character limits a lot. I had to shorten or change my name. So my alt tag for awhile( and still is ) was Maelstrom, just cuz I liked the word. Then, my current username came to me like an OC idea: out of completely random inspiration. I then got to Juunim as my username, which has stuck but was lengthened to Juunimeta to not erase my old one completely.

• Like 9

I'm not creative enough to make original names so I kinda just stole characters cause yeah
my first actual name online was zullie, which is a reference to the DS2 character going by the same name
then nitori, which is uhhh, nitori
then yuka (or yukayay idk) derivating from yukari, NOT yuuka
used character surnames for a while like hinanawi and kawashiro cause they sound cool
I should probably get to be creative sometime and come up with something myself but I'm lazy ☺️

I FORGOT TO MENTION: the "yay" is also not a original idea either, because I took it from ex csgo professional going by the same name, because I thought it sounded cool

Edited by yukayay
added unnecessary information
  • Like 4

#1f1e33

My original and go to username (not this one), was when I was very young making a minecraft account, and there was a book of animals laying around. I found three that I liked, crocodile, shark, and tiger which led to my original username tigersharkcroc. I used it for a while on other things but I eventually lost the original account because I forgot the email I used for it. I still use it but with embellishments. Other user names I have are the names of characters that I like with embellishments, like this one

• Like 3

downloadgore.png

When I came up with it I was really into Joy Mech Fight, even more so than I am now, and the character I played at the time was called Star and had a kind of space theme going for him, so I wanted something relevant to that, and of the names I could come up with, Cosmic seemed the coolest to me. I couldn't come up with anything better elsewhere, so the name stuck even outside its original context, and although I've since moved on from Star to playing other characters, I still use him as a kind of mascot for myself in that community.

• Like 3

My original name stems from the game Arknights with the character Beagle, back then I didn't have much creativity and went using any characters' name..

My current name came from my imagination of a waffle growing duck legs and swimming about on the lake like a duck. The idea felt funny to me and sparked inspiration to create this name like a funny thing to be.

• Like 4

I used to switch around my username a lot but I've settled on my current one a few years ago when Dark Souls 3 came out. I was playing as a cleric with a big mace and I though to myself "I should have named this character the Priest of Pain". It has a good ring to it, so its been my username for a few years now.

• Like 2

I usually just make shitty names for the hell of it, but decided to use this because I liked the sound and look of it. It was the name of the starting warrior I got first time I played Disgaea 2 and used it for some stuff instead of my trademark nonsense names.

• Like 2

I've used multiple names over the years, but they were usually like this one. I was pretty dumb when I thought of my first one because I also used it as a password on other sites (oops ^^'), but it wasn't anything creative either, it was just "smart" + my birth year. After that my main username was CuteAsriel I think, when I was big into Undertale. I don't know when I started using Bad Name 01 or similar names, probably in some random mobile game. I don't think this name needs much explaining, I added the 01 at the end because that username isn't usually taken (it's not because I was born in 2001 or anything like that). The other names I use are I Existn't or Existing Player, because I'm not the most creative person and I didn't have any other ideas for names.

• Like 2

I have tree main usernames i use. The first one i made is "Raxelgrande" back when i was 5-6 years old and i needed to register in Cartoon Network's website to play some of the web flash games they had. 
It originally was Rex el Grande (from Generator Rex) but the name was taken, so i changed the E for an A and the rest is history. 

The second name, the one i use here, came from a Youtuber's minecraft pet that was named "Pipo" but again i swapped some letters, and it ended up as Pepi. 

The third username is just a combination of Raxelgrande and Pepi, "RaxelPepi". 

• Like 2

Mine is simple, it comes from my name. It took some twists and turns over the years but i'm using this one for 3+ years and propably won't change it. 

Edited by Deiffu
  • Like 2

My usernames have changed periodically over the years. My first one was "Technotate", which my mom thought of (Tater was my unofficial nickname my mom called me, and it ). I liked technology and Tater, not much to go off of. To this day, it's still my original Xbox username, which is yet another reason I hate Xbox, since they only let you change it once before they force you to pay. After that, I started my trend of combining two of my interests/passions/obsessions as my username.

FalloutFlash(21)* - This is definitely one of my favorites. When I began using it, I was really into the Fallout game series and DC's Flash. The "21" part comes from my favorite number (I usually used it, but not always). This one is a little special, but I'll get to that after the next entry.

LuigiLover - I discovered my favorite Mario character was Luigi, and that's about it. I don't know what made me change it, but I did. When I eventually stopped using it, it was because a friend said that he didn't really like it because my previous username was way cooler. So I changed it again, and it was...

FalloutFlash(21)* - So yeah, I couldn't decide on a new nickname, and I already really liked this one, so I just switched back, hence why I said previously that it was special. I kept this one for a good while, before eventually...

OkuuFallout (present)** - Soon after discovering Touhou and deciding that Okuu was my favorite character (at the time), I changed my username to this, which is what I still use to this day. One thing to note is that the "Fallout" portion is there only because I liked it in my previous username so much that I wanted to keep it. It's only a coincidence that it just so happens to fit with Okuu, although that was definitely a reason why I set my mind on it.

*Parentheses indicate that that portion was also used.

**Obviously not a part of the username

• Like 2

Here's a fun and intriguing topic. When one has put the effort into deciding upon an online alias, it's natural to wonder about the origins of the other names around you. Most often, a username is inspired by some life experience, personal interest, or inside joke, and thus can function as an amusing glimpse into someone's personality. Even the more impulsive choices reflect something of the user's mindset.

In my early internet days, I used the moniker of "Thomas the Traveler," inspired by the triple T acronym I had adopted as a postscript (actually stands for "Truth Told Today"). For less interactive accounts, I utilized an old childhood nickname "Yozia;" this is still in use in a few places, such as my Bandcamp profile. As I became more active online, I wanted something that sounded more like a proper name; "Hisuag" was a bizarre misspelling applied to me at a job, and the situation was memorable enough to occur to me as a humorous possibility. As for "Ken" . . . I actually don't remember. Mayhap it was another instance of someone getting my name wrong (which happens fairly often).

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 3
  • Up 1

TTT

There is a bit of a long story about the origin of my name, which I have written about in the AMA thread to begin all AMA threads. Probably the shortest version would be that I have gone through a variety of names beforehand, and the current one is a combination paying homage to my previous names. (also came as a need when I started my own DA art page...)

• Like 2

spacer.png

My username came from the name of my favorite character in a MMO I play back in middle school. Grandchase was the name and Sieghart look like a cool character so I just took that name and have been using it for the longest time. 

• Like 1

My username is my character! I made Lavvie on my first semester of college. Before then I had a previous character that didn't fit me anymore. She had a good run, 2014 to 2021 or so. Lavvie symbolizes embracing myself and my quirks more, so she means a ton to me. I adore my silly purple fox!

• Like 1

I used to go by Youmu Eulogy for a bit a very long time ago. Got into Touhou via Soku and played Youmu a ton. Added "Eulogy" to it because it sounded thematically fitting for a half-phantom, and was kind of a joke to myself that my youtube channel was dead or something.

Current name is derived from that, but wanted to go more general-use than relating it to one character.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My name comes from a cat I used to have. He was a really sweet cat and had a really high-pitched meow. He has fluffy orange-and-white fur. He unfortunately went missing and I was never able to find him. I still miss him to this very day.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1