Any suggestions for new forum?

Nitorium

Ok, so i know we literally JUST launched this new platform but i wanted to ask..whoever if there were certain features that you think we should add to make the forum more "engaging".

So far, i have stuff like:

-Adding alters to profiles for the role play section

-Adding twitch logins, as well as potential live streams to front of page of forum. 

-Having certain topics be published in a forum specific Discord channel

That's all i have so far.

Anything you guys can think of, reply here and we'll see what we can do. :D 

Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link below and receive $10 in credit.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

A removal of the Shift+Enter causing the post to be submitted would be nice, although that may be my opinion. Having the ability to do edits/deletions to posts we created would also be nice.

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

Users can edit their content with 5 minutes after being posted. Should I increase the time or remove it overall?

I can apply that to each section or the whole forum overall. 

I would advise against removing it completely since users can edit content after the fact should a debate arise or something... If that makes sense? 

Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link below and receive $10 in credit.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

I personally dont see a reason to have a limit on the editable time. It for sure should be on the order of a day or two at minimum, as it allows for longer posts to be edited carefully. As far as the debate argument goes, there are the notification texts showing that a post has been edited, and limiting the ability of a user to make their posts presentable or change it to clarify topics seems punishing. If people want to argue, editing isn't something that I would think they need to do that.

That should work for most forum topics. The only thing i would see us losing is the ability to use the main post in a thread as a tracking for cerntain stats. Biggest example being who is currently enrolled in an rp. But it probably makes more sense to track that elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Lord of Trap Kyouko said:

That seems good. But you can't limit it for topics or sub-forums differently? If so that would make it a lot easier

Yes. It's very flexible when it comes to this. I can have each section and even subsection have its own individual restrictions. Ezpz.

1 hour ago, Cejic said:

That should work for most forum topics. The only thing i would see us losing is the ability to use the main post in a thread as a tracking for cerntain stats. Biggest example being who is currently enrolled in an rp. But it probably makes more sense to track that elsewhere.

I might have an answer for this. Will need to test it though.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

Any way we could get a drop down list of existing tags for when creating new topics? To help prevent duplicates with 1 letter variations and optimize searching?

There's the set of ones that have been created and exist on the site. This is all assuming that you can search threads by tags, otherwise I guess they are mainly added flavor?

So there's some kind of searchable archive or reference for ones people have entered before. It may be a hassle but that should technically be usable to fill a dropdown of suggestions. Otherwise... we could create a list of super common ones.

They were less prevelent then I thought, mostly being used to classify RPs. We likely wouldn't need these but it gives an idea of what they used to be used for.

d2a85b290d.png

In general though tags such as AMA (Should be synonymous with Ask Me Anything), Discussion, RP, Rules, Sharing, Forum Game would probably be useful for human village. If we really want the site to be searchable redundant tags like Art, Music, Games, etc. could be needed.

Not what I intended. The dropdown was in theory an automatic suggestion when typing ala google suggestions. That way it congregates people to common tags without making it a rigid THESE ARE THE ONLY TAGS THAT EXIST. Might poll others, but given the two extremes I'd think the free typing would go over better than a set list. Sorry for any confusion on this.

5 hours ago, jssf1992 said:

Hmm, do we know why uploaded images are automatically huge?  Can we change this?

Yep. What size would be best? By default, the forum keeps the original size when uploaded. Doesn't resize it. 

Deploy with DO!  \o/

Archived