Introspective Kyoto

buskerdog

I've been meaning to make this post for a while now. At one point I was gonna wait until the remix tournament had concluded for this, but uh, that doesn't seem so wise at the moment. So, what is this post exactly? Well, I've been on this forum for (almost) 4 years now. And a lot has changed in those 4 years, both in this virtual space and the real world. So, I wanted to take a moment to step back and reflect the changes within me, and how I fit into the context of this place.

Things are changing about the way I use this forum - actually no, it's been evident for a while now, things have already changed about the way I use this forum. Back when I first arrived here, there was not much activity. But, I was excited to be able to share my time with other Touhou fans, and there were signs of life here, including from some moderators who had been with the site for a long time, so I made a lot of effort to show my face and drive up activity. Whenever a new post was made in the introductions section, I always made a point of welcoming members to give them the sign that there was indeed activity here. And with help from others who chose to stick around, a small but energetic ecosystem did begin to grow. Sometimes things got a bit lax, I didn't always have something to make a new thread on, but what I did have was a lot of time to be on the forum and interact with various topics of interest (not least of all the Musical Discoveries thread that cropped up after a year or two).

Not everyone from those times has stuck around. Some only appear infrequently now, others have disappeared completely. However in more recent times, there has been an influx of new users. For me personally, the circumstances of my life have changed, what with me now studying Japan and Japanese at university. These are changes for the better! In fact, this is the best step in my life yet. However, it also means I no longer have the surplus of time for this forum that I used to. I'm content with that though; back then, I felt I needed to be active in order to keep the forum alive. But now, I see the forum in an exceptionally healthy state compared to what was here when I started. So, my input is no longer required.

This isn't an "I'm going" post. My input is no longer required. Doesn't mean I'm about to quit inputting. However, I am reaching a stage in my life where I'm starting to distance myself from this forum. You may not see me as regularly as in the past. Don't get me wrong, I still love Touhou, but I'm also not quite as hyperfixated as I used to be, what with no longer being on the rush of experiencing all the games as new and fresh, back to back. Whenever a new game comes out though, I think you can expect to see me back here with something new to say. I'm also going to have the opportunity to spend a year in Japan at some point during my course, and when I do I absolutely intend to indulge myself in the Touhou experience, so if there's anything interesting I learn (or anything people want me to go and find out), I'll surely share it when the time comes!

So in the meantime, just know that I'm still looking out for what goes on here, even if I don't post much. It's likely that from time to time, I'll still have something interesting to show or tell ya, and I'll still see discussions I want to take part in. But I've got places I want to go in life, and distancing myself from this website is something I'm ready to do, and thanks to the upsurge in users, something I feel comfortable doing.

• Like 10
  • Up 1

Honestly, this is the ideal approach to an online forum. If you feel obligated to be involved, you can't enjoy it comfortably, nor can you be fully authentic. Better to have the self-assurance that your input is appreciated, but not required (and it is appreciated, btw😁). I hope this place continues to be an enjoyable and entertaining part of your life, whatever its changes. Shalom!

• Like 1
  • Up 2

TTT

Now that you're able to pursue your goals in life with the peace of knowing that you helped keep this forum alive, give it your all! One of the most important factors in a course of study is your interest in the subject, and given you've dedicated so much of your life to Touhou, you've definitely got it in you to learn Japanese.

P.S. If you feel like it, definitely post about your Touhou pilgrimage in Japan - that sounds like it'll be super cool

• Like 2