Steam Sales

jssf1992

Since we're in the midst of the Steam Summer sale, I thought I would start a thread similar to another in a forum I'm from.  A place to give friends here a heads up about games you see on sale and recommend, and perhaps to ask others about a game you're curious about getting.

Or just tell everyone about a cool game you got recently.  We can be flexible.

I have yet to buy any games this sale (not that my potato PC can run anything too well, so the ones I do buy just sit in my library until I can either update or replace my machine). However, here are some of the games I have already bought, or am going to this sale, or are sitting in my wishlist:

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is going for low prices. A must have for RPG fans. Unique, fun, challenging, and runs very well even on low-end computers, as I've heard. The graphics are not as top notch as they could be, but that's easily fixed with ENB mods (up to ridiculous quality levels). Mods themselves are quite flexible and useful. In average, a person might sink 50+ hours in the game; a dedicated player will shoot for well over 200+ to do almost everything there is to see. Me... well, my PS3 save file has over nine hund... erm, let's skip that part.

Lethal League is going for very low prices. Get your friends to buy it, playing this game together is ridiculously fun! It's kind of like baseball, except you're aiming to hit your friends' faces, and the ball can go up to roughly the speed of light.

Left 4 Dead 2, one of the best co-op games since forever, always drops to about 5% of normal price during sales. An absolute classic. Get some friends on board, slap some models of Touhou girls in it (I know you all want to, and I certainly already have my Reisens and Koishis installed), and have fun!

XCOM Enemy Unknown, if you're into strategy/tactical games. Also offers fun mods, from new classes to all sorts of weeb anime models. You can either play it at your pace, or tackle the harder modes where your dead soldiers stay dead for good, for that campaign.

The entirety of the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, if you're into that. Noire best girl fite me irl m8

The Binding of Isaac (Rebirth & Afterbirth), one of the best rogue-like games out there. Lots of stuff to unlock, lots of challenges, almost endless possibilities for new runs.

So, I found this game called Lost Technology a few days ago, and it had an interesting concept so I thought it was worth the cheap $3 price.

It's a turn based set-up, with factions taking turns on a world map to build up force, perform diplomacy, and attack, with battles being a rts system.

But the real kick is that is has a fair amount of story elements. While it is, sadly, right now a work in progress, the story and characters still go a step beyond the basics. There is a fair bit in there, but there's also a noticable lack of story as you get further in. Since I don't know how much work is left, outside of the number of factions that don't have any story implimented outside of pieces of lore attached to their characters (which is still a fair bit), I can't say if I would give it a full recommendation, but it's an interesting concept and might be worth checking out for those interested.

The games I've bought this sale were Stardew Valley, Age of Empires 2 + DLCs and Crypt of the NecroDancer.

I'm pretty content with the things I've bought so far, especially with AoE2 and Crypt of the NecroDancer, as the price was reduced by 80% (even though the DLCs for AoE2 made it a bit more expensive).

Stardew Valley is also a good game but compared to the other two games it was more expensive with only 20% of the price reduced. I was thinking if I should wait for a better sale for this game, but from the discussions I've read elsewhere it seems unlikely that this game gets a better discount anytime soon and that I've missed the chance for good discounts, as there were some for this game in the past apparently. But it's still fun to play in my opinion and I think I can spent some more hours in it.

8 hours ago, Maden said:

The games I've bought this sale were Stardew Valley, Age of Empires 2 + DLCs and Crypt of the NecroDancer.

I'm pretty content with the things I've bought so far, especially with AoE2 and Crypt of the NecroDancer, as the price was reduced by 80% (even though the DLCs for AoE2 made it a bit more expensive).

I've been thinking about the AoE2 HD version + DLCs, seeing as how I've been playing the original + The Conquerors expansion since I was 5, but I don't really play online at all. I've heard that these DLCs have really spiked the AI's difficulty; in fact, these new DLCs were originally a fan-made mod, which I did download a few years ago, and it did make the AI harder even in the base game content. As far as I know, there's no way to set an AI profile outside of scenario creation (since the game uses AI "types" to simulate enemy civilizations behaving in different manners from one another) in order to revert that, which kind of bothers me. I don't know how much play time you have in the game already, or even if you have played the originals back in the day to have a comparison in the first place, but is the AI as unforgiving as I've heard it, at least in the most recent DLCs? I'm not too keen on fighting off ultra-micromanaging insta-rushing AI enemies that play like they're competitive online addicts.

1 hour ago, Thunder said:

I've been thinking about the AoE2 HD version + DLCs, seeing as how I've been playing the original + The Conquerors expansion since I was 5, but I don't really play online at all. I've heard that these DLCs have really spiked the AI's difficulty; in fact, these new DLCs were originally a fan-made mod, which I did download a few years ago, and it did make the AI harder even in the base game content. As far as I know, there's no way to set an AI profile outside of scenario creation (since the game uses AI "types" to simulate enemy civilizations behaving in different manners from one another) in order to revert that, which kind of bothers me. I don't know how much play time you have in the game already, or even if you have played the originals back in the day to have a comparison in the first place, but is the AI as unforgiving as I've heard it, at least in the most recent DLCs? I'm not too keen on fighting off ultra-micromanaging insta-rushing AI enemies that play like they're competitive online addicts.

omg...AOE is damn great. Been playing it the moment it was first released on steam. CBA though. :P

Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link below and receive $10 in credit.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

14 hours ago, Thunder said:

I don't know how much play time you have in the game already, or even if you have played the originals back in the day to have a comparison in the first place, but is the AI as unforgiving as I've heard it, at least in the most recent DLCs?

Haven't played the originals and I also have not much play time yet. Just played through the first few campaigns as of now, so I can't really say how hard the AI is.

Archived