What is your opinion on Rhythm Games?

nitorii

Hey hey, I'm back with another bad topic.

So, I've been playing one particular rhythm game for about 3 years of my life now, that being osu!. Home to all sorts of stupid stuff, I am both sad and happy to be a part of this community for this long.
In my experience, rhythm games have pretty much shaped my taste in music and other media (like Touhou!), and can be a pretty fun experience for anyone that just wants to play something casually after a long day of work.
I've seen a lot of rhythm games in the past, namely osu!, etterna, SDVX, Arcaea, etc. I believe anyone can get into those and have a genuine good time (this comes from the guy that legit broke his monitor because of osu :))) )
To explain the basics of osu!std at least, it is very simple. You click a circle to the rhythm. Yeah, that's it. You aim to the circle and click it to the beat.

"But yuka you buffoon! You absolute clown! How is that a good explanation of the game's mechanics?"
To put it simply, if you need to introduce a person to this game in specific, all you can say is "tap when the 2 circles close to get a perfect judgment". You can't possibly explain to a newcomer the intricacies of all the skillsets and mechanics this game has to offer, listed in this video:

Spoiler

But anyways, enough about osu. I want to know what YOU have personally experienced with rhythm games or if you even played them at all!
This post is the result of a broken man unable to sleep

• Like 5

#1f1e33

I looove rhythm game like DDR or  Parappa however it requires a lot of patience for me because I have to redo the levels many times in order to get a correct score, I’m not even aiming the perfect score too lazy for that x)

OSU is horribly difficult but when you get a 100% you can totally flex on it :3

• Like 2

I wouldn't say osu is a really hard game, but that it's a game with slower improvement curve, since you gotta learn how to do a lotta stuff and all that
with time and effort anyone can get really good at it

• Like 2

#1f1e33

Hey! Another osu! player over here!

osu!taiko, actually. Peak #907 global rank a few months ago.

I don't play many rhythm games apart from that one but I love them! What I like the most about them, though, is when I try to improve myself score after score, flex on people who don't play that game, aim to be a top player, compete with other people, learn patterns, cool background community stories, etc...

Aaand, guess what, that sounds just like Touhou, doesn't it? To me Touhou, rhythm games and a bunch of other games are very similar in those ways, that's what I look after the most in a videogame :]

Edited by SUPERNOOB20
  • Like 2

I played very little taiko a while back but I don't think I got over 30k in rank, unfortunately I'm not really good at it
on standard tho, I played for quite some time and peaked at 50k or something

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.bfaa91425ae82d3e3701826e79c33fa2.png

I played osu mostly because my friend also played it, and I never really was one to flex scores of anything like that. I just played for myself and that was pretty much it. I tried tournament play for a bit (played quals in femboy cup and the tryouts for 5wc) but that isn't for me. I quit yesterday because I just don't feel that the game is fun anymore + I wanted to find some other games to play outside of osu

yeah that's pretty much it, small talk ik

• Like 1

#1f1e33

On 2/26/2023 at 2:25 PM, yukayay said:

In my experience, rhythm games have pretty much shaped my taste in music and other media (like Touhou!), and can be a pretty fun experience for anyone that just wants to play something casually after a long day of work.

My experience in rhythm games (mainly osu!) is actually very similar to you too! It also shaped my taste in music, that's why I like music from many genres, I'll listen to any music as long as it sounds good to me. I always feels that osu! is just like a record store( my favorite record store btw), because it provide a variety of music all different from each other and also introduce you to a lot of cool artists. The game itself is very fun, I love it and I'm glad there are people talking about it here in this forum. 💟

• Like 1

Hmmmm...

Rhythm games are really nice (even though i suck is most of them xd)

One that i always liked to play is Taiko No Tatsujin, it is actually really popular in Japan and tbh, it is really fun and challenging, and btw, you can find some IOSYS music in this game too, and i personally find it really nice =)

I never tried playing OSU! since it always seemed really hard for me, but i might take a look into it someday, mostly now that i'm updating my setup and got a nice mouse to play rhythm games =D

Some other rhythm games i used to like were guitar hero, friday night funkin (in the release), arcaea and some others that i played only a few times, like Cytus II

Even if isn't my favorite game gender, it is always nice to relax (or the contrary) after a rough day, and as someone who loves music so much, i always found rhythm games something so interesting =)

Oh, and btw, that's Taiko No Tatsujin, if you doesn't know it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjhof71ikDA

• Like 1

11 hours ago, _.Mevs said:

Hmmmm...

Rhythm games are really nice (even though i suck is most of them xd)

One that i always liked to play is Taiko No Tatsujin, it is actually really popular in Japan and tbh, it is really fun and challenging, and btw, you can find some IOSYS music in this game too, and i personally find it really nice =)

I never tried playing OSU! since it always seemed really hard for me, but i might take a look into it someday, mostly now that i'm updating my setup and got a nice mouse to play rhythm games =D

Some other rhythm games i used to like were guitar hero, friday night funkin (in the release), arcaea and some others that i played only a few times, like Cytus II

Even if isn't my favorite game gender, it is always nice to relax (or the contrary) after a rough day, and as someone who loves music so much, i always found rhythm games something so interesting =)

Oh, and btw, that's Taiko No Tatsujin, if you doesn't know it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjhof71ikDA

I have seen it, yeah! but unfortunately I'm not great at taiko, so I never played it much. the little I plyed was nice tho

• Like 1

#1f1e33

I used to play quite a few rythm games until a year ago, now I only play occasionally. I used to play Etterna, OSU!, Project Sekai (also Geometry Dash if you count that) and stuff like that but now only Etterna. Same as others, these games definitely had a big impact on my music taste.

• Like 1

I haven't been playing rhythm games for long, I think I've been playing them for about a year?

Anyway, back in june I got into Beatmania. Specifically the IIDX kind, which has 7 piano-like keys and a turntable. It's extremely fun, as it is painful at later levels. It is also the only game that I have been playing every single day for a month straight. I came back to it recently after a few months and I must say, my skills have dropped significantly, I have problems clearing some hyper 8's which I have been steamrolling before.I guess that's just how it is with rhythm games.

Other rhythm games I usually play are Taiko, Project Diva, and some Stepmania, be it on a keyboard or a smartphone(BeatX).

• Like 1