Headphones

Drunken_Flower

so yeah basically i came across a channel called DankPods
https://www.youtube.com/@DankPods
he's hilarious but I'm really looking for headphones.

he has made me aware about critical listening and the difference of headphone qualities, especially about audio profile and DAC.
EVERYTHING SOUNDS BAD NOW! HELP!
like a magic i became aware of all the missing sounds.
a couple months ago i only plan to buy a random headphone.

Headphones
or earphone

so yeah quite nice timing since i want to retire my current headphone after it's 7 years of survice.
it's a regional brand, very regional it will leak my place.
it's a low mid tier. it was "only" $30 but that's heck lot in my currency.
the audio profile... there is no official test, only to my judgement:
it's quite high on the bass, i felt the punch and still clear, the mids are quite muffled ngl i have issues hearing some instruments especially choirs, and the high end is a bit quiet, not sparkly as they say.
it held for 7 years though, so yeah low mid tier.

maybe you can share what headphone you're using.

so yeah what i plan on getting? (WARNING: Expensive Hobby)
i wanted Sennheiser HD58X, it's a sub par to HD600 which is used as standard in DankPods.
it's almost the same quality with half the power requirement and half price.HD600
yeah if i want this setup with amp i'd need like $400,
easier choice is Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm at $140-ish.
still a lot of money holycrap.

also DankPods taught me about https://www.rtings.com/
such a good website 10/10 would recommend.

DAC
Digital to Analog Converter, basically music player

have you ever felt that a music sound different between your PC and Phone?
yes i have tested mine and it is different, my PC it has more clarity for some reason and I have no idea about the specs.
if there's no difference, you got nice phone.(or bad soundcard(or both))

i haven't fully sold on needing an external DAC, but i need the amp that comes with that if i wanna use high end headphones.

AMP
Amplifier, power!

you thought headphones doesn't need amp?
well yes your regular headphones are around 30 Ohms which is able to run easily in PC and Phone
but boy... some headphones has 80, 150, 300, or holycrap even 600 Ohm
you need amp to be able to listen using said headphones.
not very crucial for regular use but something to keep in mind.

I should get a graphic tablet first for work.

• Thinking 2

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

• 1 month later...

Considering my major hobbies revolve around listening to [a lot of] music, the subject of choosing headphones is an important one to me. Nonetheless, I'm a relatively simple person when it comes to such commodities; I only ask that it "sounds alright" and "doesn't break." Overtime I've become more picky, but not enough so [yet] to research much into the technical aspects. That may change very soon; depends on my finances, and the ever-declining stability of the world.

My current headphones are an over-ear wireless set that I only got because I'd been gifted a gift card to a place I avoided shopping at and wanted headphones that had something sturdier than thin plastic in their frame (these are the headphones). My previous pair had cracked, and I was hoping for something that would resist cracking. These has a nice leather-like covering on them, and I hoped that would mean something. To be fair, they held up longer than any of my previous headphones, and even now the covering holds them together in spite of internal damage (which has not effected the audio quality, btw).

For whenever I get my next set (assuming I get the chance), I'd like something similarly double-stabilized; I don't expect it to prevent damage, but it may at least mitigate long term effects. Otherwise, I've considered choosing something with noise-cancelling; there's a lot of activity around me on a regular basis, and if it works (I have no prior experience with it) it could be convenient. I tried getting a pair of wireless earbuds (band can't break if there isn't one, eh?), but the sound quality was such a downgrade from what I was used to that I had to return them.

I'll have to look into that DankPods channel; I may learn something helpful to my inquires.

TTT

Time has passed, purchases has been made.
Audiophile stuff is heck deep of a rabbithole full of snake oils.
The vast amount of options and different opinions is quite overwhelming.
and after money spent i have come to a conclusion.

what matters is simply the performance of said headphone.
in graphics language it's like from 144p to 720 or 1080, above that like 2K or 4K is a diminishing return and a waste of money
it's not about the tuning and flavors (although get as neutral as possible then use EQ if you want some flavors), it's just about how much detail you can get.
also durability is a big thing, massdrop stuff usually has good sound profile but damn they break fast.

so yeah basically just get trusted mid-ranges, read reviews and do research.

about channel recommendation, there's another one i know that i haven't include since i didn't know he has a youtube channel
it is the famously infamous
https://www.youtube.com/@crin
https://crinacle.com/
drama always going on the world yeah "you shouldn't trust youtuber or some famous figure" etc etc
i'll keep that decision up to you.

one more thing, about DAC and Amp
DAC generally isn't needed unless your headphone picking some strange noises from your PC or Phone, if that so a cheap DAC or apple dongle should do the job.
Amp also isn't needed, most of high end headphones can run at 80-90db through laptop, unless you wanna play 110db for hours then get an amp.
Wireless also fineee~~ just not so many options.

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif