Ask Me Anything

Happy New Year! 🎉

I am going to open this year of threads with something more casual. As the thread title suggests, I am open to any kind of questions. Even if I may prefer questions in regards to my interest in Touhou/other series I like or the life as a Moriya Shrine denizen, anything is absolutely welcome. Huh, perhaps I am defeating the whole purpose of an AMA? Anyway, let the questions roll in. There is no number of questions limit per user, so feel free to as much as you wish. 

Edited by CountVonNumenor
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Up 1

spacer.png

This seems like a nice thread to start the year! I have two questions for you, if that's alright!

What other video game franchises would you consider to have a substantial impact on your life?

Are there any particular countries you would like to travel to in the future?

• Like 2

I actually have a question, if that's alright!

So, where did you get the name CountVonNumeror from?

And also, who's the person in your pfp? It seems like a art of some kind of soldier, colonel or someone like that, so i got kinda curious!

Happy new year =D

R.png.a3342f3b88f67254714c43c67ae6f17f.png

• Like 1
  • Up 1

Happy New Year! Hope it's been good for you so far!

So, over the last year, you've talked a lot about pieces of Touhou media you've gotten into. Some you've made posts about, and some not. (Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Hifuu Club Activity Record, by the way.)
Anyways, what I wanted to ask is "If you had to choose a favorite piece of Touhou media, official or unofficial, what would it be?" Artwork, music, video, animation, game; the sky's the limit. Just something that you'll always hold near and dear to your heart from Touhou Project.

And, if you're feeling spicy for it, how about the flip-side: "What piece of Touhou media do you loathe the most?" It's not enough to simply not be memorable, no; something that left a permanent scar on your soul and you hate acknowledging its existence.

And, uhhh... Even though it goes against the original purpose of the thread, if you have any questions for us too, feel free to ask back. I definitely won't be making an AMA of my own, and I'd take any incentive to overcome my "one-post-per-thread" habit I'm trying to break this year.

• Like 1
  • Up 1

Shanghai Doll knows what you've done.  162257545___alice_margatroid_and_shanghai_doll_touhou_drawn_by_nekoguruma__abeeeaa945645f8ecfdbbe81a2857a13(5).jpg.6da63ce849c93f73625172cb4a291f2a.jpg  I hope you're proud of yourself.

I have two questions.

Firstly, seeing as you often mention how you're a newer fan and talk about your journeys of exploring this thing we call "Touhou", what Touhou related content do you want to explore in the future?

Secondly: 

A bus left the Scarlet Devil Mansion; three people boarded at the start

At Hakugyokurou, one left and half a person boarded

At Yakumo-san's house two people left; so how many passengers in total?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, buskerdog said:

I have two questions.

Firstly, seeing as you often mention how you're a newer fan and talk about your journeys of exploring this thing we call "Touhou", what Touhou related content do you want to explore in the future?

Secondly: 

For that second question, is it:

Spoiler

A half-ghost-half-human and a ghost = 2 passengers

Edited by Gri

Alright, time to finally answer the first round of questions:

On 1/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, Isaac said:

What other video game franchises would you consider to have a substantial impact on your life?

Probably I would say the Total War series of strategy games. Without my first contact with the original Rome Total War game from 2004, I wonder if I would have got the interest in history I still have up to this day.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, Isaac said:

Are there any particular countries you would like to travel to in the future?

I have had a lot of plans for travelling the past year, but I did not manage to mobilize myself for a journey that long. First to France, then shortened to just Germany, then just to Budapest, and now to a short trip towards Bulgaria. I hope I could go soon in a weekend trip to Sofia, just so I could have the chance to finally visit a foreign country. 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:06 PM, _.Mevs said:

So, where did you get the name CountVonNumeror from?

That is kind of a long story... Through the years (about the past 4 years), I have used a great variety of names. My first online name, used about 6 years ago, I was pretty much like your average boomer online. It was for the first time I was actually using the internet for more than just watching videos on YouTube, and started using forums. The name I was suing at the time was just my real name (you can still find it on some history forums). Afterwards, as I already got a strong interest in the Austro-Hungarian Army due to making a personal investigation, I ended up using the name "Count Andrei". Quite possibly, the name was also inspired by the image of a local Hungarian lord, Count Arpad Tamasy von Fogaras:

Tamasy_Arpad_FZM_1861_1939_photo1910.jpg

At the same time, as I was still in my late phase of the interest for Lord of the Rings, and was entering the Warhammer 40K phase (and very possibly a final remnant of Star Wars), another nickname arose: "Imperial Black Numenorian". Why a Black Numenorian? Because I really liked this image of what may look as either one of those wicked men or an Orc general. I like the art style, since it has some sort of 1980s vibe, and for a decent amount of time I stuck with it.

John_Howe_-_Gothmog_01.jpg

After the beginning of the lockdown in 2020, my interest for the Austro-Hungarian Army came back, yet my names remained in the land of the Numenorians. What really ended up sealing the fate of what would become my current nickname was the creation of my first art page account. When I created my DeviantArt, I had to pick a name. I was not very sure what to go with, and none of my initial options seemed to fit. After multiple tries, I have ended up combining the old "Count Andrei" and "Imperial Black Numenorian" into what ended up becoming "CountVonNumenor".

Count - from the original nickname I was suing that was not my irl name
Von - probably taken from the memory of that image of Count Arpad Tamasy
Numenor - from the old "Imperial Black Numenorian" nickname

"If you had to choose a favorite piece of Touhou media, official or unofficial, what would it be?" Artwork, music, video, animation, game; the sky's the limit. Just something that you'll always hold near and dear to your heart from Touhou Project.

@SoundOfRayne I am not very sure what would my absolutely favorite piece of Touhou media be, so I will cheat a little bit and split it into categories:

Official games -  I did not have too much contact with them, but probably the only game I actually played was Perfect Cherry Blossom. And that game really has a strong nostalgic feeling for some reason, even if I booted it up for the first time a couple years ago. 

Official music: from my current experience, I would probably say that either Ghostly Field Club or Changeability of Strange Dream are the most memorable ZUN albums I have listened to

Official literature: until now, I have only read the first 5 volumes of Forbidden Scrollery. However, I absolutely love that series

Fan games: I have not really played any proper one of those (I will talk more about that in a separate thread), but I like the looks of two games that I would try - Mystia's Izakaya and Touhou Lost Branch of Legend. Oh, and maybe Kubinashi Recollection as well

Fanart: for about a year now, the artist that caught my attention fully has been Iganashi1. They got me with their depiction of Eiki, and from there I stayed on. Probably before Iganashi1 however, there was Linmiee. Unfortunately, she is no longer part of the community (I think) due to some negative feedback she received last year (I have a whole thread about that), but at least her Touhou-related art is still stored on Danbooru.

Fan music: currently, the answer might be a little obvious, but I will go again with Akatsuki Records. I think I might be a little obsessed with listening to their songs and I need help on that

Fan comics: I did not get too much into those, especially since I did not know where to start from. I did have, for some reason, the chance to read all of Bombergrape's Touhou doujins, yet something that really caught my attention recently was this thing, thanks to a fandub:

I love the art style, the wholesome vibe, the comedy and the characters have both cute and funny moments. And on top, the fan voiceover really got me laughing with the edits and added effects. As for the doujin itself, it can be found on Dynasty Reader: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kene_moko_and_the_students#1

Spoiler

keine_mokou_and_the_students_33.png

Just for the taste of it

(I will end Part 1 of my answers here)

Accidentally posted an unfinished reply - I hate the keyboard
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

spacer.png

23 hours ago, SoundOfRayne said:

And, if you're feeling spicy for it, how about the flip-side: "What piece of Touhou media do you loathe the most?" It's not enough to simply not be memorable, no; something that left a permanent scar on your soul and you hate acknowledging its existence.

I am not very sure about that. I do not have yet any Touhou content to consider unwatchable, even if after making a little research, I ended up not listening to Innocent Key in my first weeks as a fan (Sakuya abuse/molesting by the Scarlet sisters and jokes about it in the songs I have listened to), and probably a video I would like to forget it exists is a Fukkireta version featuring Alice and Marisa, and it goes all the way into the fanon version of Alice (including her suddenly stripping and getting to rape Marisa). How did that end up still being on YouTube, it is a mystery. For proof of its existence, I have recently found the clip again on Danbooru, stored as one of the 32 files under the "Fukkireta" tag. Well, I guess that is a thing that exists.

On 1/5/2023 at 8:06 PM, _.Mevs said:

And also, who's the person in your pfp? It seems like a art of some kind of soldier, colonel or someone like that, so i got kinda curious!

Oh, the answer is simple. It is a late 1890s-ealry 1900s (1895?-1908) Austro Hungarian field uniform of the infantry. I have chosen it because in an old family photo, one of my ancestors is wearing this uniform model (how did he serve in the A-H Army in WW1, kind of a long story due to the fact I am from Transylvania). This is the full image:

0ab652c2b6a8c1e39683feb379d5409c.jpg

And for the same kind of uniform and era, there are excellent contemporary illustrations from the early 1900s:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

It's a long story...

22 hours ago, buskerdog said:

First, I just want to finish the final two volumes of Forbidden Scrollery. Afterwards, perhaps complete the listening to all of ZUN's music albums, or go again, more thoroughly through Perfect Memento in Strict Sense and Symposium of Post-mysticism. As for fan projects, I think that will be the topic of another thread in which I would like to talk about fan games and looking for games to play. 

22 hours ago, buskerdog said:

Secondly: 

I am going to use Cirno levels of logic here:

The answer is, the answer is, zero people, zero people
That's because, that's because,
There are no buses in Gensokyo!

Therefore, since there are no buses, we can't have people travelling by bus. Only trains. Why trains? Because our gorgeous gap hag eternally 17 Yukari Yakumo keeps spawning them in Gensokyo

76977.gif

7 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Ditto.

Already answered a little earlier.

8 minutes ago, Nekofire said:

If you can go in a fictional universe (manga,video game,movie,book,etc...) where would it be ?

Unfortunately, most of the fictional universes I got an interest in are kind of violent, or overall just not a nice place to live in (at least at the time when the action of said piece of media is focused). Probably one of the more peaceful options would be Hobbiton from Tolkien's works. It seems like a nice, quiet place, far from all the intrigue, struggles for power and overall drama. Just a nice place to be in, and probably live an uneventful life. Because at some point, I might just be the kind of person who wants a little peace and quite, relaxing place to fins themselves in. If I remember of any other place I would go to, I will return with a continuation of this paragraph.

12 minutes ago, Nekofire said:

And why you wanna travel to France ????? x)

The answer is simple. I love military history, and am quite curious to see a lot of old things. And for that, france has probably one of the biggest tank museums of Europe, in the city of Saumur. That was initial target of the trip. But then, i was planning to just cut it to Germany and visit the Panzermuseum Munster. And from there, I had to cut again as I was running short of time, I would have been on my own abroad (as I never travelled abroad before) and then college started, so I had to further short the trip to what will probably be a weekend in the capital of Bulgaria. 

But to put the answer shortly: tanks. Lots of tanks, many of them historical pieces from the World Wars.  

• Like 2
  • Stare 1

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, CountVonNumenor said:

Unfortunately, most of the fictional universes I got an interest in are kind of violent, or overall just not a nice place to live in (at least at the time when the action of said piece of media is focused). Probably one of the more peaceful options would be Hobbiton from Tolkien's works. It seems like a nice, quiet place, far from all the intrigue, struggles for power and overall drama. Just a nice place to be in, and probably live an uneventful life. Because at some point, I might just be the kind of person who wants a little peace and quite, relaxing place to fins themselves in. If I remember of any other place I would go to, I will return with a continuation of this paragraph.

Isn't it kinda like medieval fantasy ?? :SekiThink:  

7 minutes ago, CountVonNumenor said:

The answer is simple. I love military history, and am quite curious to see a lot of old things. And for that, france has probably one of the biggest tank museums of Europe, in the city of Saumur. That was initial target of the trip. But then, i was planning to just cut it to Germany and visit the Panzermuseum Munster. And from there, I had to cut again as I was running short of time, I would have been on my own abroad (as I never travelled abroad before) and then college started, so I had to further short the trip to what will probably be a weekend in the capital of Bulgaria. 

But to put the answer shortly: tanks. Lots of tanks, many of them historical pieces from the World Wars.  

This is where I live and you can find a few statue of tanks around (and a lot of good restaurant 🤤) I didn't knew there was a tank museum btw 😅

1 hour ago, CountVonNumenor said:

I did not have too much contact with them, but probably the only game I actually played was Perfect Cherry Blossom. And that game really has a strong nostalgic feeling for some reason, even if I booted it up for the first time a couple years ago. 

Funny, I have the same reaction to Imperishable Night, even though I only picked that one up a few months back. At least I can beat PCB, though...

I did not get too much into those, especially since I did not know where to start from. I did have, for some reason, the chance to read all of Bombergrape's Touhou doujins, yet something that really caught my attention recently was this thing, thanks to a fandub:

I love the art style, the wholesome vibe, the comedy and the characters have both cute and funny moments. And on top, the fan voiceover really got me laughing with the edits and added effects. As for the doujin itself, it can be found on Dynasty Reader: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kene_moko_and_the_students#1

I love how, with just one look at this, I immediately knew Dark Fox (aka Jinx Izayoi) was gonna be a part of this. I also found a fair number of fancomics through fandubs like this one. It's gotten to the point where I'm just 100% willing to accept a headcanon where all Touhou characters have male voices, except Rinnosuke, and Patchouli is Solid Snake.

there was Linmiee. Unfortunately, she is no longer part of the community (I think) due to some negative feedback she received last year (I have a whole thread about that), but at least her Touhou-related art is still stored on Danbooru.

Yeah, I saw that thread and looked a little into that. It's a real shame that she just up and left like that; her art was really nice. If I felt I had something more meaningful to say than "That sucks," I woulda commented on it. I just hope she's alright. Last time I read up on a story about an artist vanishing after being publicly lambasted, it was because she attempted suicide. Not matter which side you're on in whether it's a good thing for artists to take liberties in redesigning established characters, no one deserves that.

2 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

the artist that caught my attention fully has been Iganashi1. They got me with their depiction of Eiki, and from there I stayed on.

SHOW ME WHAT PASSES FOR [culture] AMONG YOUR MISBEGOTTEN KIND

...was the first thing I thought of when I looked their work up. Gott damn, man, no subtlety with your preferences, huh? :KoishiXD:
I like it, though. I like seeing a little more mature take on a lot of these characters. Good middle ground between being overly-cute and overly-sexy.

94199428_p15_master1200.thumb.jpg.6534a1168ec25eb94f3f92ef4ef58d1b.jpg

Also, this Banki. I like this Banki.

I do not have yet any Touhou content to consider unwatchable, even if after making a little research, I ended up not listening to Innocent Key in my first weeks as a fan (Sakuya abuse/molesting by the Scarlet sisters and jokes about it in the songs I have listened to)

...Y'know, in retrospect, I don't know what I else I could've expected to happen when I looked Innocent Key up. I could've stopped at the Sakuya one. Sure, I didn't like it, but... "Ehh, this sure does look like something from 13 years ago, huh?" So what do I do? I keep digging. It's not good, but it could always be worse. And then I find Holy Water Festival... :YoumuStare: It got worse.
Now I'm here, bitter and angry at the world. Just... Fuck.

• Thanks 1

Shanghai Doll knows what you've done.  162257545___alice_margatroid_and_shanghai_doll_touhou_drawn_by_nekoguruma__abeeeaa945645f8ecfdbbe81a2857a13(5).jpg.6da63ce849c93f73625172cb4a291f2a.jpg  I hope you're proud of yourself.

@SoundOfRayne your intervention really made this evening so much more enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, SoundOfRayne said:

I love how, with just one look at this, I immediately knew Dark Fox (aka Jinx Izayoi) was gonna be a part of this. I also found a fair number of fancomics through fandubs like this one. It's gotten to the point where I'm just 100% willing to accept a headcanon where all Touhou characters have male voices, except Rinnosuke, and Patchouli is Solid Snake.

Yes, I have recently discovered Dark Fox/Jinx Izayoi (right around Christmas), and have listened to quite a few of his manga voice-overs. They are brilliant. About Patchy sounding like Solid Snake, this video really has proven it (besides the moment at 1:53 - after speaking in the deep, edgy voice, Patchouli shouts a big Snake death sound): 

Also I can't get over this if I have not mentioned probably the most glorious episode of failed story-time:

image.png

I can only imagine how traumatized the poor kindergarteners were (and Keine only confirms it). Remilia is also memorable here, especially with her "THE UNMOVING GREAT LIBRARY NOW AT LONG LAST, WILL MOVE!!!"

SHOW ME WHAT PASSES FOR [culture] AMONG YOUR MISBEGOTTEN KIND

...was the first thing I thought of when I looked their work up. Gott damn, man, no subtlety with your preferences, huh? :KoishiXD:
I like it, though. I like seeing a little more mature take on a lot of these characters. Good middle ground between being overly-cute and overly-sexy.

Oh, I like the Warhammer 40K/Dawn of War 2 reference insertion. As for the art of Iganashi1, I am a simple guy. I see tall Eiki, I like. Yeah, I am not very subtle in regards to me liking this art. If there is that memed "Neuron activation/Monkey sees [...]", I guess this one would be for me. But I agree with you, their art really hits a good middle ground in between cute and sexy. I just really apreciate this version of the Yama, it's quite refreshing from the short one I tend to see very often in fanart:

unknown-10.png

FHdUS9FacAwG8Px.jpg

__shiki_eiki_touhou_drawn_by_iganashi1__

__shiki_eiki_touhou_drawn_by_iganashi1__

FlQ9S-CaYAAINth?format=jpg&name=large

I really like the artist's take on a variety of other characters as well

__yakumo_yukari_touhou_drawn_by_iganashi

__hakurei_reimu_kirisame_marisa_kazami_y

kazami_yuuka_touhou_drawn_by_iganashi1__

e2bf102ce1fa55e345c04ccd59eda33a.jpg

__usami_renko_touhou_drawn_by_iganashi1_

__usami_sumireko_touhou_drawn_by_iganash

__hinanawi_tenshi_touhou_drawn_by_iganas

Fg4sTGDVEAMYuNt.png

__hakurei_reimu_izayoi_sakuya_cirno_reis

I really wonder what their take on Akyuu would be, if the artist ever decided to draw her...

Also, this Banki. I like this Banki.

Oh, most definitely. I agree on that one. I like that Banki too 

And then I find Holy Water Festival... :YoumuStare: It got worse.

Oh no, so you actually checked that infamous video. I have only heard of it as some sort of an urban legend, yet never searched or even got it in my recommendations. But for you, all I can say is that I am sorry :TenshiCry:

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

• 5 weeks later...