What's your favorite part of Touhou?

Cejic

What's your favorite part of Touhou?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite part of Touhou?

• The official games
    • The music
    • The fan games
    • The characters
    • The official plot/lore
    • Fan plot/lore/culture
    • "The characters" ;P

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2018 at 4:50 AM, 酔花_異舞姫 said:

it's a hard question you know...

Yeah, maybe for you. For me, it's the music and characters. I get so drawn into the game listening to music, and it's interesting seeing how certain characters fight. Pinpointing fighting styles will help me be prepared in the future. And if you give me an IPod or any music player just filled with Touhou music, I will be using it for hours. Fun Fact: I'm usually the first in my family to point out blind spots, if any. 

Definitely the music and the character.  The music just goes so well with the stage to bring you the emotions that you need to get through that stage while also conveying who the character is, her personality or what she is, it's like after the dialogues the music is the next lines.  The characters are also certainly interesting, they are quite mysterious for me as I haven't been looking through backgrounds that much, and the designs are so good too! Even tho ZUN always makes it with beer in hand . 

A suntanned ice fairy huh? 

Webp.net-resizeimage.png.c4e2a2b3fd5444f0c1ae29d5ff35a5a9.png

I'm kinda hungry.

The fan works that help expand the lore and world of Gensokoy is hands down my favorite aspect of this series.  Funny that I happen to be drawn more to the world the fans have expounded upon endless.  Everything from the mangas which show us daily life in detail, to the music, some of which tell the stories of specific characters in a way that is poetic and nuanced and rife with metaphors to decode.  Even single pictures can show the same characters we know in greater detail and in a different light than we see them in normally.  I find the fans have expanded the world of Touhou beyond what it could have ever been by itself.  I feel.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Everything!

I totally LOVED its music, always unique and always wow-ed me, from the musical palindrome of Koishi's theme, so such melacholic Heartfelt fancy, there are always something you would discover every single time, it's an neverendng rabbit hole.

The lore itself was pretty interesting, even when the generic plot of the games revolves around incidents, there are always interesting things to go on, and somehow, some incident could be connected to each other

*Cough *Cough Moriya Shrine *Cough *Cough Occult balls

also, the lore is very diverse for an STG games, the hint of legends that have been fused in, you could clearly see ZUN really knows it's Youkai.

The game itself was very creative, I must say, the patterns could BE resembling things, objects, or even some evens, Raiko's Danmaku could follow the rythm of the music, Sekibanki chases you with her head, Clownpiece used moon (1CC Ruiner), Sukuna makes you big, Seija flips the screen, Sakuya Stops time, and many many many many other things.

The fangames, fan-created stuffs is all diverse, ranging from the normal STG, to RPG Pokemo-ish games, Touhou has a very dedicated fanbase that has been there for like, ages, the fanmade songs are a thing too! There are plenty genre to choose, from classical music, Death metal, Funkot, heck even Gamelan (Traditional indonesian orchestra)

The character itself is pretty much has interesting plot to dig in, like a normal fairy, to the pure-loving lunarian, it's so diverse, I began to know every single youkai listed on Youkai.com and its legend, you could also learn some hints of history behind them, Like the Fujiwara clan, or the poet Saigyou, even the tale of princess Kaguya and he legend of the great Suwa war, so many to learn from a single series!

There are so many things great about this fandom, I can't put it into words.

Well that's a block of text over there

the fact that a single man makes the majority of the games alone is a good representation of the entire culture around touhou, in my opinion. the fandom inherits that dedication and skill elegantly, and while everything in touhou is great on it's own, none of them would be as good as they are if not for the community. with that being said, the music, the lore, the characters, and the gameplay itself are great, even ignoring the fact that it came from zun. so ya, that's my opinion i guess.

Archived