What web browser are you guys using? =)

_.Mevs

I use Opera, mostly Opera GX for gaming situations. It's good to have something like that.

For work browser, I use one of my country's web browser instead, which is Cốc Cốc ( Vietnamese browser, I know. Coc Coc for english, I suppose) for whenever I want to download videos. I store a bunch of my work sites up there so it's easy to access.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 2:11 AM, _.Mevs said:

I'm using a browser called Pale Moon, i love the old internet culture so i like to use this browser since it has a 2000-2005 look like, is so beautiful! \o/

Holy shit I didn't know there's someone here also using Pale Moon! If you're using the latest version, you should be able to open this JPEG-XL image ;)

Screenshot_2022-12-04_19-33-29.jxl

EDIT: Ah, darn, it looks like the forum software just gives out the wrong content-type for these images, which makes the browser always prompt for a download instead of opening them inline...

Edited by Ka Takane
  • Like 1

If you're using WebExtensions you might have to do without some of them. uBlock Origin has a version for Pale Moon, and for Tampermonkey there's Greasemonkey as an alternative. But if a particular extension is not available in an XUL version you can try searching in the add-ons site if there's an alternative that can fill in the same role as your Chrome extension, but otherwise you're probably out of luck.

Another thing missing would be some very recent JavaScript (such as regexp) and CSS features, and WebComponents. These may impact web compatibility. GitHub and Pixiv for example need WebComponents to function properly, and you have to install an extension called Palefill as a workaround. To be fair to the browser's developers, we can't really expect a small team to be able to keep up with the ever-changing web standards, especially when said standards are being pushed by Google which is known to be monopolistic. Even Firefox, which has a large team of developers paid for by Mozilla is having trouble keeping up with the new features sometimes.

On the other hand, with Pale Moon you get superior customization (complete themes are still supported which its sibling Firefox dropped, and you can even combine them with personas or lightweight themes as you can see with my screenshot from my earlier post), more powerful extensions (XUL can modify the browser much more even down to its internals, unlike the very limited WebExtensions used by Chrome and Firefox), NPAPI support (Flash, Java, and other plugins are supported and will stay supported in the far future), and less memory footprint (due to the fact that it doesn't use a multiprocess design which is notoriously resource-intensive).

Just like any other tool, it's up to you to decide which works best for you. I think the trade-offs are worth it, and therefore Pale Moon works best for me, in my opinion. If Chrome works best for you, good for you! I do use another browser temporarily sometimes if I can't workaround a problematic website in Pale Moon.

• Thanks 1

Holy shit I didn't know there's someone here also using Pale Moon! If you're using the latest version, you should be able to open this JPEG-XL image ;)

It appears as a downloadable file for me xd

But is really nice to see that other people here also use Pale Moon =D

I have a low end PC from 2017 and wanted to give it a early 2010s vibe but i noticed that if i downloaded Windows 7 i'd lose some security features and wouldn't be able to play Minecraft Windows 10 Edition xd

But at least there's Pale Moon that gives a really good nostalgia =D

And the best, is fast and easy to use!

FumoMarisa.png.746a508fab9d3a87280f1c90d5f4210e.png

• Like 1

Just a chrome user, but I really like the look of pale moon.
Is it missing any features chrome would have? I'm interested in making a switch, but I don't wanna lose any features chrome has.

Well, i'm not a professional in web browsers but i didn't see extensions in Pale Moon so far

Is a fast, beautiful and really good browser when it comes to daily use, i mostly use it to play Roblox with my friends, use the forum and download stuff since it seems faster here

But i also use Edge when i need to use extensions (like VPN to farm microsoft rewards points or use UTorrent since i defined my account on it on Edge, unfortunately =') ), but my main browser is Pale Moon and i use it way more than any other, since it's perfect if you want something beautiful, fast and easy to use

The only configuration you'll have to do will be on the searching mechanics, since it uses as default the DuckDuckGo but you can switch to Yahoo or Google in the configurations

But in general, is so good if you're someone simple looking for a fast and good browser for low end PCs =)

R.gif.015c7e6d30a0d8238c078ef3cc332f99.gif

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

For my secondary browser I've been using Floorp which is a fork of Firefox ESR developed by a circle of Japanese students called Ablaze. It has a heavy emphasis on customization too like Pale Moon but it does so in a fundamentally different way by baking in the customization features like instant CSS reloading into the browser itself. I personally think it's a bad approach to user customization and having a leaner browser core like Pale Moon does is better, but I can't really blame the Floorp devs because Mozilla has pretty much killed most of the user-friendly customization XUL, XPCOM, and complete themes have offered.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 180258.png

Firefox on PC, used to have chromium based browser but they delete history beyond 6 months.
I like hoarding my history, I never know when I wanna go back.
no, bookmarks are used when you aware you wanna go back, most of the times I don't realize I needed to go back.
I do use shitton of add-ons.

Bromite on Mobile, because i don't trust anything in Play Store.
it's chromium based, I also turned off javascript for that since I have had hacked because some random pop-up injected a code.
idk i just never really bothered for securing my phone with adblocker and such.
In PC you can just install add-ons, but in mobile you need external .apk which back again to `I dont really trust Play Store`.

used to use TOR but now I don't really need it since i have a proper VPN now.
i just need to bypass regional blocking.
yes i know TOR is safer but do you need to go that far? also slower.

• Like 1

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Mainly Librewolf, when something doesn't work on Librewolf, I use standard Firefox. If the website hates JS, I run Lynx.

Though, I usually screw around with lesser known web browsers, like Seamonkey. It's a continuation of an ancient Mozilla suite, the suite had a mail client, an IRC client, and of course a web browser in it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Application_Suite. Though, my personal favourite is browsh. From what I understand, it runs firefox to load the page first, and then send the data from it to a terminal, all formatted and with images and even gifs!

Here's how it looks:

image.thumb.png.3edadca738c03280dfef063bd56d177c.png

• Like 1

Im using FIrefox as my main browser and Vivaldi as a secondary one when i need it.

I also use Links when i need to save energy or to avoid JS doing nefarious things. This is how it looks, too bad logins use a TON of JavaScript.Screenshot_20230608_100928.thumb.png.c11fcad4835fa25742a9374261958ab7.png

35 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

Mainly Librewolf, when something doesn't work on Librewolf, I use standard Firefox. If the website hates JS, I run Lynx.

Try Links out! It's pretty awesome, it has that GUI mode and a Terminal one.

• Like 1

using opera gx as a main browser now
I did make some effort to use firefox and even harden it (also downloaded TOR) but they just didn't feel nice to use and the exaggerated security makes for an annoyance most of the time
I got to the point where I stopped caring if google is spying on me
I'd love to test out PaleMoon if it had the option to use extensions, which I use quite frequently

• Like 2

when we're alone and the world is gone...

...I turn to you, you're my number one...

I use Firefox, mostly because google pissed me off enough with its security issues and Adblock junk that I left. It also runs lighter than google anyway, which I need when I run stuff on a mediocre laptop.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I use mainly Opera GX for most of the browsing. But when I go websurfing and finding any websites about anything or making something personnel I use palemoon as well. I really miss that 2000's aesthetic