Zun art?

nightsedge561

In every single mainline touhou game, zun has basically handled every single aspect, from game design to the thought i had today: the art. It has an incredibly... unique art style when compared to other media in similar veins. I've already seen that opinions on it were mixed, either liking it or downright hating it (I've seen a vocal crowd who said the great fairy wars artist should replace zun in the art direction.) I was wondering what your opinions on it are?

Personally I love it, despite being strange comparatively a lot of it does feel nice to look at, even the strange deformed older designs. It adds a charm to the game and wouldnt feel the same without them. i also love seeing fanart in zun art style, its always super cool.

• Like 3

I have written quite a bit about ZUN's art style in the past on this forum, but now I would like to think a little bit of the artistic interpretations of his style (and slightly in relation/contrast to the general media style coming out of Japan). There are at least a few that really caught my attention through time.

On a more recent example, there is this image created by. Even if not fully in ZUN style, it claims to have it as inspiration:

FfAIdqmacAADCDI.jpg 

Source: https://twitter.com/himuhino/status/1580772879087865856?t=CnuxFncBp-09qIiFWc2__Q&s=19
Original caption: "Semi ZUN style"

The other example I want to point out is the art of hoshiringo0902 (Hoshi Ringo as the name appears on Twitter). They caught my attention since the beginning of 2021, and the only way I could define the art would be as "ZUN's illustrations, but with RTX ON" (I actually did use that as a joke in order to refer to the drawings). Here are a few examples to prove my point:

__hakurei_reimu_kirisame_marisa_remilia_

__hakurei_reimu_kirisame_marisa_izayoi_s

__hakurei_reimu_touhou_and_3_more_drawn_

Source: the art of hoshiringo can be found on Twitter https://twitter.com/_Hoshi_Ringo_

Edited by CountVonNumenor
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

spacer.png