That moment when you wanted to play a game, but all the hype is gone...

CountVonNumenor

Did you ever have that moment when you really wanted to play a video game, but all your excitement for it vanishes as soon as you started playing? It has happened to me just a couple hours ago...

I was trying to play Black Mesa (I am glad I have not bought it, as I did not have 20 Euro to spend on it) for the first time. That made me realize how much I suck at shooting/survival games I am literally an offense towards video games in general to be honest and with this introduction, time for my big question. For anyone who has played BM before I stated the campaign (first time I am ever playing a Half-Life game), but I am having serious issues. Besides me simply being just terrible at video games and almost having died despite the fact I barely fought a few Headcrabs and zombies (also a few damn Barnacles), I have the problem of the environment being too dark in terms of lighting (darker than it is supposed to be) - I am basically walking though pitch black most of time even if normally I am not supposed to. There is way less lighting than in any playthrough I have seen. More to that, my trusted flashlight is doing nothing and only adds to the said lack of lighting, which has put me in serious confusion both during exploration and while in combat. Any idea how to solve/make things more bearable? I am literally facing almost pitch dark for the entirety of the game and I was so excited to play the game...

In anticipation, I have been watching the full playthrough from Sexy Nutella on YouTube, who made the game look extremely easy but when I actually got into it... He really made the game look so much easier, even when played on highest difficulty. Meanwhile, some have also asked me "why not just play the original Half-Life 1? It is much in pretty much everything". I am not sure if I should see the reduction/simplification of puzzles from HL1 to BM as a problem, especially since I am not really the biggest guy into puzzle solving.

I thought this fan remake of the original is much better than the original HL1 in absolutely everything even simply though the fact it is newer, has better graphics, more stuff added to its atmosphere which I like, feels more lively. New interpretation Xen looks awesome (at least by the playthroughs I have watched) - it is not called a "wallpaper factory" by the fans for nothing - and so on I never managed to understand the criticism people have towards BM. It feels like such an upgrade from the original game. Plus, I do not really know if I wanna play anymore all my hype is gone... but I need to feed my obsession for the franchise somehow. It really does not matter what version you play (original HL1 or Balck Mesa) if you still suck at it no matter what. And I do not want to feel like playing a game from 1998 (even if I do not want to sound like one of those entitles 10 year olds who want flashy graphics - as I was born only after the original HL released) and if I were to say something is shit, I would rather blame my potato laptop for not being able to run the game in anything but "potato graphics". 

But to be fair, I really so not know what sort of games I am into, as most of my life I only played 2-3 strategy games from the Total War series (particularly Rome 1 and Medieval I, with a bit of Napoleon and Shogun II as well), and those mostly for the sandbox/custom battles. It always happens that I become (unhealthily) obsessed with a franchise, but I end up sucking at the game. I have been obsessed with Touhou for almost 2 years now, but I suck at bullet hell...and fighters...and platformers and anything the fans have made (I will talk about that in another thread). I have become obsessed with Half-Life, but I suck at puzzle-survival-platformer-shooter games and I pretty much suck/can't finish most types of the games I ever tried. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

half life 1 is better in the mod, sven coop. you can play through the game with friends (or me 0v0)

i tried armored core, but heavily disliked the fact that combat wasnt really all that skill based, and found the game very grindy, and without a great story, i found myself bored. 

another game, was Nioh 1. it was a good game, but felt like enemies did too much damage in fights. couldnt get that far.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I understand the feeling of playing a game that people doesn't play anymore, mostly since almost all the games i play aren't popular nowadays

But well, from what i know, half life has a pretty active community (not like before but well, active)

Anyway, there's a chance Black Mesa can get popular again, since there's a new project called Operation Black Mesa being made (https://store.steampowered.com/app/311810/Operation_Black_Mesa/)

But to be fair, I really so not know what sort of games I am into, as most of my life I only played 2-3 strategy games from the Total War series (particularly Rome 1 and Medieval I, with a bit of Napoleon and Shogun II as well), and those mostly for the sandbox/custom battles. It always happens that I become (unhealthily) obsessed with a franchise, but I end up sucking at the game. I have been obsessed with Touhou for almost 2 years now, but I suck at bullet hell...and fighters...and platformers and anything the fans have made (I will talk about that in another thread). I have become obsessed with Half-Life, but I suck at puzzle-survival-platformer-shooter games and I pretty much suck/can't finish most types of the games I ever tried. 

Well, i don't think that not knowing the sort of games you're into is a problem since you can always try new games without really thinking about it's genre :SatoriStare:

I personally think that it isn't a problem to be bad at a game as long as you have fun with it, and btw, if you play them with frequency and try to look closer into the techniques and etc you can use on it, you can end up really good at the game =)

• Like 1