How to get friends to like Touhou?

buskerdog

The age old question: how do I get my friends to be interested in Touhou? I've been without irl Touhou friends for too long now and I've decided it's finally time I at least tried to manually convince people. I'm sure I've read about other people introducing their friends to Touhou. How do you guys do it???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe try getting them into a game, official or unofficial, that overlaps with their interests? I got into Touhou via Scarlett Weather Rhapsody since the friends in my circle play fighting games.

Touhou fangames seem like the best bet, and a lot of people I've met started with derivative works.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Up 1

Eulogous is definitely on the right track, you know, simply because there are so many different genres of fangames. Indeed, I often joke to my best mate that for every game, there's undoubtedly a Touhou version of it, and just by virtue of that alone, it will be 100% better than the original was. (#^_^#)

Edited by SasaMisa
Adding some text.
  • Like 1

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

I introduced Touhou to one of my friends with fan musics. She happens to like songs with depressing lyrics and the first Touhou fan song I sang was Bad Apple!! (She was stucked with Bad Apple and I can't get her to listen to other Touhou songs for a while so I basically left most of the making her get into Touhou thing to Youtube Recommendations for a while lol) I make some Touhou jokes here and there whenever I see fit (such as me telling her that she's being Flandre when she breaks my correction tape. That always happens when she uses a correction tape) or tell her about some scenes from manga. As she doesn't play computer games, I can't introduce her by games, though.

And now I'm passively forcing her to read Dipp lol.

(Alright, this is not useful but whatever. I'm gonna leave the message here.)

• Like 1

i kinda just showed it to my friend before either of us were super into it, and eventually it just became a thing we talked about. ofc i wound up being far more into it than he was, but he still likes the series. just tell them about it or show them one of your favorite aspects of the series, and if they like it then they will.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:09 AM, MoeNwe said:

I introduced Touhou to one of my friends with fan musics. She happens to like songs with depressing lyrics and the first Touhou fan song I sang was Bad Apple!! (She was stucked with Bad Apple and I can't get her to listen to other Touhou songs for a while so I basically left most of the making her get into Touhou thing to Youtube Recommendations for a while lol) I make some Touhou jokes here and there whenever I see fit (such as me telling her that she's being Flandre when she breaks my correction tape. That always happens when she uses a correction tape) or tell her about some scenes from manga. As she doesn't play computer games, I can't introduce her by games, though.

And now I'm passively forcing her to read Dipp lol.

(Alright, this is not useful but whatever. I'm gonna leave the message here.)

Great approach 10/10 worked on my friend too

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I know I am many months late, but...

I got into Touhou with Soku via an ex-friend. I was introduced to this site in order to download the game. Since at the time I wanted to get into Touhou but wasn't sure how, this site was nice to play the games. PCB was my first actual TH shooter. You could probably try asking your friends if they're curious about Touhou, but I'm not sure if that'd work

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

lol I remember I was asked by some of my coworkers if whether i watch any anime. I said I dont want any anime and just play touhou and I had a really horrible time trying to explain what touhou was about.

Edited by Macbeth

IRL Friends for sure not. But i actually got into the 2hu due a friend from discord recomended to me when he was currently on SoEW, when he got into EoSD i started to play since LLS. I also remember even playing online PoFV once, it was a bit laggier as i expected but still had fun.

Now at days im a bit far to him, but he stills calls me sometimes.

Edited by NetsumuNico7

SuwalemDistractionor.gif.744734ef46cde9f46b278e64825ea1fe.gif

Wait that's me as a doll? Yeah, Alice helped me on doing those. She doesn't look like a doll! I played so much Lemmings on my pc, so i got some inspirations of this! Oh boy...

Sprite done by myself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sooort of unrelated but when i was younger i first got into touhou i would CONSTANTLY talk about it my best friend said it sounded cool at first but more and more as i started to talk about it more they were really annoyed with it and when that friend introduced me to other people andd i made friends with them id talk to them about touhout and THEY got sick of it and it honesty makes me rlly sad. im still friends with them and they still hate touhou. It still makes me really sad because i dont talk about it as much anymore but on the once in a blue moon i mention it there like "SHUT UP!!!!!"  even when i try to show them a touhou song i show it to them first and then i tell them its a touhou song. they like the song at first but the minute i say its aa touhou song they instantly despise it. also this exact thing happened when i got into earthbound.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 11:06 AM, Eulogous said:

Maybe try getting them into a game, official or unofficial, that overlaps with their interests? I got into Touhou via Scarlett Weather Rhapsody since the friends in my circle play fighting games.

Touhou fangames seem like the best bet, and a lot of people I've met started with derivative works.

On 10/16/2023 at 5:49 PM, Yumetou said:

I don't try to get people interested in Touhou. I just casually mention it and see who gets the look in their eyes. That look of recognition mixed with memories of Gelbooru.

I second both of these. I think a combination of the 'interest overlap' and 'the look' are key.

Another thing that helps is, when the time comes, to put effort into getting into something they like. If they introduce you to something, whatever it may be, and you genuinely like it, they will likely be more willing to try something back, in this case, Touhou.

Spoiler

"It takes a lot to make a quality product. Be that an animation, doujin or game. Finding time alone can be a challenge. But nothing burns quite as much as throwing in so much work and make something good. Only for no one to care. But trust me. Someone will. It just sometimes takes awhile." -Yumetou

• 1 month later...

Touhou 15.5 was a good way I got my friends into Touhou. The music as well really got one of my friends while another it was the character designs due to their artist background. Really depends on the person. The main line games can be a fun way to start someone off, but they can be daunting to some who aren't familiar with games like them.