Promotional Flash Videos for Doujin Touhou Music, and my attempt to 'preserve' them

Suwakoto

Hi. Now, I don't know about you all, but a lot of my 'formative time' with Touhou came from the various music videos, animations, etc. So it was kind of sad to see that many of them are scarcely available in high quality. Miracle Hinacle, for example is something I adore both as a song and as an animation, but it's only available in full in 480p. There is a 1080p version on YouTube, but it's incorrectly cropped, a bit laggy at times, and is the short version, not the full one.

But it's a Flash animation, and so long as you have a Flash player, you can play these in good quality on any resolution you want. Add some recording and video editing software, and you can do it yourself. So I did, and a few days later, I am sitting with a library of 39 flash animations totaling almost 1.5 hours, 'restored' to proper 1080p for modern viewing pleasure. Besides, just recording them, I also made sure to crop them properly (no stretching or excessive black bars) and, wherever possible, replaced the original, low-to-mid quality audio with high quality one taken from the original albums.

Feel free to browse the catalogue here: https://cloud.cirno.digital/index.php/s/K34oDXkePfktQMY (the WebM files are the actual videos, SWF are the original animations and FLAC are the full songs featured in the videos)

Now, the shameless plug out of the way, the reason why I'm posting this - I want to expand the library if possible. I scoured high and low for any and all Flash files I could find, and these 39 is what I ended up with. There are many more Flash animations I know of, but they have become lost or otherwise the SWF files were never released. A lot of music videos have also been animated in things other than Flash, and short of putting them through AI upscalers, I don't know of a way to get them looking good.

That's why I'm coming to you. I want to know, first of all, if there's any interest in this sort of preservation and amassing of the animated Touhou content (sort of like TLMC does for music albums). And if so, I would like to get some suggestions for what to do next, how to expand it.

Edited by Suwakoto
  • Like 4

This is really great! Thank you for sharing this. I'll download all swfs and add it to a collection. Best way to preserve things is indeed what you are doing.

Contact me in DM's of the forum. Discord will be nice if you have it. I'll send some stuff that I have!

By the way by any chance have you ever seen swf file from a video in this link? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPAXYhVIevM
I've searched it for some time, not with a full power though - and failed to find anything. And I don't think this is a video edit so there is somewhere swf file by Kagi (Cool&Create?) most probably

And making quality of swfs better in 2022 - you are the hero

Edited by Alia Khin
Cirno digital super extended 2011

44 minutes ago, Alia Khin said:

By the way by any chance have you ever seen swf file from a video in this link? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPAXYhVIevM
I've searched it for some time, not with a full power though - and failed to find anything. And I don't think this is a video edit so there is somewhere swf file by Kagi (Cool&Create?) most probably

TL;DR - Nope, no luck. Can't find it anywhere.

Full - COOL&CREATE is the Doujin circle responsible for the song, that being ウサテイ2011 from a rather obscure live concert in 2011, available on the DVD "FLOWERING NIGHT Concert 2011". Kagi is the creator of the animation, and they're part of Locker Room Production, a circle responsible for many of the famous animations. However, looking at both C&C's and LRP's websites, I cannot find a single thing about this specific animation. Kagi uploaded it on their official NicoNico channel but there's no source for a SWF there or on any other video or website that I could find.

• Sad 1