What is your favourite game outside of the touhou series

ScarletCyro

It's what it says on the tin. For me personally I'd say Twewy/しばらしきこのせかい because it's a really unique game, I've never seen any JRPGs like it before, unfortunately the DS game is quite rare and quite costly so :(

• Like 5

Hi again! I just love playing through a variety of games, especially jrpg's like Persona and Dragon Quest. I'm biased towards Mario 64 though, mainly cause it was one of the first I've ever played and I still enjoy watching the speedruns too!

As a fellow JRPG lover, Persona is based, I haven't played dragon quest yet. Mario 64 is one of my favourites too!! I was born too late to experience it when it launched. But i love it too. I have a boxed copy on my desk actually. Did you hear about the persona games being ported??? Im so happy that it's finally happening, it's rare to see atlas making a good Buisness decision lol.

• Like 1

I love short but sweet experiences involving games with a lot of mystery in them, and a dash of VN. Bonus points if they're a bit creepy or melancholic, and also if they end up with a strong delivery on a good story. Good examples of this are:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1444350/House/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282210/DEEMO_Reborn/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/885810/The_Witchs_House_MV/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/637850/Confess_My_Love/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574270/Sucker_for_Love_First_Date/

However, pinpointing one of these as my favorite would be difficult, and I don't think it would do the genre justice. So I'll just have to go with a boring classic and say Hentai vs Furries.

Just kidding. It's Pokémon.

• Like 1

patchouliass2.png.e11a8850318b379359e5d4f48a638bd3.png

Pokémon based ngl, not really my thing though. Good games but not for me, i have a collection of Pokémon games, but mainly because i can sell those suckers for a huge profit in the future if the Pokémon game price rise happens to the DS games soon.

Maybe i should get into the games sometime

And also, turn based games in general aren't really my thing, they just feel boring most of the time, and I don't really know why, but hey, everyone is different 

Edited by ScarletPyro
Accidentally posted the same thing twice, so replacing it with fresh content

31 minutes ago, ScarletPyro said:

As a fellow JRPG lover, Persona is based, I haven't played dragon quest yet. Mario 64 is one of my favourites too!! I was born too late to experience it when it launched. But i love it too. I have a boxed copy on my desk actually. Did you hear about the persona games being ported??? Im so happy that it's finally happening, it's rare to see atlas making a good Buisness decision lol.

You have the boxed copy, nice! I'm really happy that more people can enjoy the Persona series now! Hopefully more companies decide to take a similar approach.

5 minutes ago, ScarletPyro said:

This site has been really active today huh?

:)

Im also very happy that more people can enjoy it, i reccomended the games to my friends little brother. He LOVES RPGs and has never had the opportunity to try the persona games. But now he'll have the option to

• Like 1

Flak out of my non-experience with none of those we have just mentioned, I'm more of the traditionalist.

I may remember some of my fondest: The House of The Dead franchise, my first ever light gun arcade introduction. Or Football Manager and Pro Evo Soccer, my first step into soccer games in general, and PES 2013 stays true to my motto of "Soccer Simulations For All".

And PES 2013 would be atop of my favorite too. Having Champions League and Copa Libertadores licenses back then is tough, and PES pulled that off successfully, and fed on it. Real teams and leagues, a visceral experience on and off the pitch. And always the beloved Master League, where you can sit back and enjoy the world of football unravel in front of your eyes. Physics, temptations of just... bricking one from the outer line gets me all excited and nostalgia of all.

So.... yeah. That's all really.

• Like 2

Takes me by the gun that I never have tried Pokemon in my life too, since life on the Asian coast hasn't been so fancy. I would always love to try out some now that I've gotten a bit more knowledge into technology shafty, and more. BW should be good for my introduction to modern Pokemon, at least if I want to say modern.

I've tried out Pokémon, also yes, black and white is a good introduction to modern ish Pokémon, but after it play black and white 2, but overall, i wish you the best in playing Pokémon, also live the profile picture 

10 minutes ago, ScarletPyro said:

@waddlewaffle @Isaac @Canaranjo what similarities do Pokémon hold to touhou and whynare you attracted to both? I've been hearing lots about Pokémon in this topic, so I'd like to know how and why Pokémon and Touhou have interlinking communities

I actually haven't played much of Pokemon myself, but I'm interested in the series. I guess having a world where you can discover different species, which all have their unique charm is very appealing. Most of the character designs are cool too!

Edited by Isaac

3 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I actually haven't played much of Pokemon myself, but I'm interested in the series. I guess having a world where you can discover different species, which all have their unique charm is very appealing. Most of the character designs are cool too!

That's actually really cool! Thank you for explaining that! I was asking because i couldn't see how touhou and Pokémon had any similarities and why fans of one tend to be fans of the other, it didn't really make sense to me. And yes, the character designs are really cool.  And I like having a world with different species too

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ScarletPyro said:

@waddlewaffle @Isaac @Canaranjo what similarities do Pokémon hold to touhou and whynare you attracted to both? I've been hearing lots about Pokémon in this topic, so I'd like to know how and why Pokémon and Touhou have interlinking communities

I go along with Isaac's word on this. And to add on for myself, the visceral world, vibrant colors and it's citizens are what made Pokémon so fascinating for me. And then when I found Touhou, I drew along beside it and saw that same vibrant visceral landscape in Gensokyo, with youkais, gods and humans alike. Driving along the cruise boat of mutual understanding and trust, I guess that's what really got me into it. 

Edited by waddlewaffle
My lethargic ass messed up wording and needed fixing haha.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, waddlewaffle said:

I go along with Isaac's word on this. But for me, the visceral world, vibrant colors and it's citizens are what made Pokémon so fascinating for me. And then when I found Touhou, I drew along beside it and saw that same vibrant visceral landscape in Gensokyo, with youkais, gods and humans alike. I guess that's what really got me into it. 

So I'm assuming you got into Pokémon before touhou? Pokémon is a very vibrant world and the CPUs genuinely make you feel things sometimes, it's great. Touhou has youkai, gods and Humans, and all the other species, almost like different species and evolutions of Pokémon. Which i suppose makes sense

• Like 1

I think touhou fans have alot in common with games that are totally different because after an extremely challenging game like touhou you want a game thats easier to relax with. It makes sense to an extent

By the way Scarlet, I see that you have a screenshot of Celeste as your header. I love that game so much! The music, the level design and the story are just amazing! It's still one of the best indie games I've played!

@Isaacyes! I do! I really love celeste too, it was when i was doing a speedrun of the game, the level design is absolutely spectacular, though the game isn't as hard as everyone says it is. It is absolutely still one of the best indie games I've played in a long time

• Like 1

Damn this thread got way more activity then I expected in very little time. Guess I have no choice but to appear myself.

It has been said on this forum before. It will be no surprise to anyone who knows me. Anyone who's followed my forum posts will see it coming from a mile off.

Deep breath in

I like Monster Hunter.

Deep breath out

I still haven't played the Sunbreak expansion for Monster Hunter Rise yet. I don't have the time. :TenshiCry:

This seems to have become a Pokemon discussion so I'll drop my two cents too. I used to be a big fan myself, in fact it was the first video game I ever played, so it's been with me for a long time. However for several years now I've not been happy with the direction the series is going, so I stopped following it. Most of my attachment is gone now, although my friends who also grew up with it remain more enthused than I am. Oh well. I have Touhou now. Touhou basically replaced it.

• Like 1

Yeah, this post has been going a little crazier than I expected, also monster hunter isn't that bad, i tried it out, wasn't my thing but a good game. And yeah, Pokémon nhas been declining over the years, hopefully the 9th generation of games fixes that but i have little faith that it will, also yes, touhou > Pokémon 

I've only had the chance to play 3ds monhun and, I loved them even with the wonky camera controls. Only wish G rank wasn't stupidly time consuming to solo in those games because of hp scaling... it kinda burned me out in the end.

Also share the same lukewarm feelings towards pokemon, though I just, haven't felt the itch to play any of the games in a while really.

Anyways, my favorite goes back and forth between Final Fantasy 6 and Xenoblade Chronicles 1. Also I'm sure I would love SMT if I could get behind the whole demon system.

• Like 1

everything is just peachy tonsh.gif.0b4075faabf61d7265e5c3fea342964f.gif