What is your favourite game outside of the touhou series

ScarletCyro

Personally i prefer Final Fantasy 7 and I've never played Xenoblade, i probably won't tbh, mainly because of the console it's stranded on, the Wii. When you say SMT do you mean Shin Megami Tensei? The Persona series and the Shin Megami Tensei series are both amazing 

Ah, I believe I already mentioned this in the Videogame Difficulty thread: Captive by Tony Crowther on the Amiga, although I did play the Atari ST version first. It was basically his homage to FTL's Dungeon Master, a game that really requires no introduction whatsoever to anybody my age. Heh, it's no exaggeration either to say that I've sunk more playtime into Captive than any other game I have ever played, undoubtedly more than 10,000 hours at this point. (#^_^#)

For anyone that's interested, I did a fairly fast runthrough of the first mission a few years back for my channel:-

Edited by SasaMisa
Word substitution.

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

11 minutes ago, SasaMisa said:

Ah, I believe I already mentioned this in the Videogame Difficulty thread: Captive by Tony Crowther on the Amiga, although I did play the Atari ST version first. It was basically his homage to FTL's Dungeon Master, a game that really requires no introduction whatsoever to anybody my age. Heh, it's no exaggeration either to say that I've sunk more playtime into Captive than any other game I have ever played, undoubtedly more than 10,000 hours at this point. (#^_^#)

For anyone that's interested, I did a fairly fast runthrough of the first mission a few years back for my channel:-

Looks fun! I've been trying to get an Amiga for a while, but my Bank account doesn't feel like it lol, 10,000 hours, wow, that's almost as much time as I've put into splatoon (both combined)

8 minutes ago, Turbonator said:

Ultrakill and DOOM 2016 or any movement shooter really.

Honestly, so based. I love shooters as well. though personally i prefer eternal over 2016. I haven't played ultrakill yet.

6 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Hollow Knight. My main genre is 2D platformers, and specifically metroidvanias; I adore exploration gameplay, and 3D titles tend to feel more empty to me.

I've never really been an exploration gamer. 3D titles are more my thing, they feel more immersive to me. Is hollow Knight worth it? I've been looking to try out more 2D games.

1 minute ago, ScarletPyro said:

Is hollow Knight worth it? I've been looking to try out more 2D games.

For someone like me, base price of Hollow Knight is lower than deserved (a "steal," as they say). But for you, difficult to be sure of; I can say that Celeste was my favorite game before Hollow Knight, so if you enjoyed that game then that may be indicative. Have you played a metroidvania before, and if so did you enjoy it or not?

7 hours ago, buskerdog said:

I like Monster Hunter.

?

Honestly, your enthusiasm for the series (not to mention the amazing music) has done a lot to make me interested in trying it out. I bought Generations Ultimate for the switch, but I haven't had time to actually try it yet. On a side note, a Youtuber I follow recently did a video essay on the series which I found to be entertainingly informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DMyw3uz4Ys

I've never played Pokemon, and I'm not too motivated to do so at this time. If more comes of the open world from Arceus . . . I probably still won't feel like playing it, but it'd be a bit more likely. Sword & Shield soundtrack is great, though!

• Haha 1

TTT

7 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

For someone like me, base price of Hollow Knight is lower than deserved (a "steal," as they say). But for you, difficult to be sure of; I can say that Celeste was my favorite game before Hollow Knight, so if you enjoyed that game then that may be indicative. Have you played a metroidvania before, and if so did you enjoy it or not?

?

Honestly, your enthusiasm for the series (not to mention the amazing music) has done a lot to make me interested in trying it out. I bought Generations Ultimate for the switch, but I haven't had time to actually try it yet. On a side note, a Youtuber I follow recently did a video essay on the series which I found to be entertainingly informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DMyw3uz4Ys

I've never played Pokemon, and I'm not too motivated to do so at this time. If more comes of the open world from Arceus . . . I probably still won't feel like playing it, but it'd be a bit more likely. Sword & Shield soundtrack is great, though!

I've never tried a metroidvania before, it's probably the only genre I've never tried

It's tricky to pick a game I personally is my favorite, I guess I'll pick Binding Of Isaac: Repentance.

There's a bunch of other games I enjoy playing as well.

I will say that I really enjoy RPGs, adventure games, and puzzle games with some problem solving stuff in them

Edited by Reicirna_731

1833617839_AyaSig.png.cba3babffeb9e8d8aa5b90e177ef8a3c.png

16 hours ago, ScarletPyro said:

Looks fun! I've been trying to get an Amiga for a while, but my Bank account doesn't feel like it lol, 10,000 hours, wow, that's almost as much time as I've put into splatoon (both combined)

That was in a very short period though, under three years, say, and I've probably put an equal measure of hours into Dungeon Master as well. Oh, and unless you're a super fan with a lot of time, money, effort and above all, space, maintaining and running old machines is way too much hassle. Just download WinUAE and play the games you want in emulation instead. (^_^)

As for Metroidvanias: I was very tempted to play Ender Lilies recently upon seeing a thumbnail of it on StoneofTriumph's channel that initially had me thinking it was a Lily White game (don't laugh, the way she glows in all that desolation did make it appear to be her until you took a closer look). In any case, although the incredibly cutesy character definitely appeals to my sensibilities, the gameplay does not. Constant backtracking is not my idea of fun and it quickly got on my nerves in Dracula X. The fact you can't actually die in the game is kind of off-putting for me as well since there are no real consequence to failure other than a loss of time. (-_-)

Wound up watching his playthrough in the end and giving The Vagrant a try instead, which turned out to be a much faster, more strategically orientated game with a lot less pointless bloody backtracking overall. Finished it on the hardest level of difficulty with no restarts whatsoever, which even impressed the original programmers when I told them I'd finally done it as it isn't one of the official achievements. (=^_^=)

Edited by SasaMisa
Word substitution.

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

22 minutes ago, SasaMisa said:

That was in a very short period though, under three years, say, and I've probably put an equal measure of hours into Dungeon Master as well. Oh, and unless you're a super fan with a lot of time, money, effort and above all, space, maintaining and running old machines is way too much hassle. Just download WinUAE and play the games you want in emulation instead. (^_^)

As for Metroidvanias: I was very tempted to play Ender Lilies recently after seeing a thumbnail of it on StoneofTriumph's channel that initially had me thinking it was a Lily White game (don't laugh, the way she glows in all that desolation did make it appear to be her until you took a closer look). In any case, although the incredibly cutesy character definitely appeals to my sensibilities, the gameplay does not. Constant backtracking is not my idea of fun, and it quickly got on my nerves in Dracula X. The fact you can't actually die in the game is kind of off-putting for me as well since there are no real consequence to failure other than a loss of time. (-_-)

Wound up watching his playthrough in the end and giving The Vagrant a try instead, which turned out to be a much faster, much more strategically orientated game with a lot less pointless bloody backtracking overall. Finished it on the hardest level of difficulty with no restarts whatsoever, which even impressed the original programmers when I told them I'd finally done it as it isn't one of the official achievements. (=^_^=)

Honestly, never been much of an emulation person. Just never been something i enjoy doing, i have a few old computers, so im used to the hassle. I've always been really into rhythm games, but they make my fingers want to jump off a bridge so I don't play them as much as i used to.

12 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I love Metroidvanias. I have several friends who already love Hollow Knight. I know I would love Hollow Knight. But, I just have too many other things keeping me occupied at the moment. Celeste was also on my watchlist of switch games to get, but I never got around to buying it. Sigh... one day I will find time to play all these cool games...

Just now, buskerdog said:

I love Metroidvanias. I have several friends who already love Hollow Knight. I know I would love Hollow Knight. But, I just have too many other things keeping me occupied at the moment. Celeste was also on my watchlist of switch games to get, but I never got around to buying it. Sigh... one day I will find time to play all these cool games...

Yes, you'll find time someday ♡

For me, I play a variety of games in many genres. If I had to choose, I would pick RPG games. Neptunia series is my favorite alongside SMT
But I am a college student now I don't have much time as I used to before, so I have to manage my time. I still love RPGs but nowadays I play a lot of casual games and competitive games, such as Valorant, Apex. And also some of gacha games like Arknights, Umamusume.

1 hour ago, Shio said:

For me, I play a variety of games in many genres. If I had to choose, I would pick RPG games. Neptunia series is my favorite alongside SMT
But I am a college student now I don't have much time as I used to before, so I have to manage my time. I still love RPGs but nowadays I play a lot of casual games and competitive games, such as Valorant, Apex. And also some of gacha games like Arknights, Umamusume.

Fellow RPG lover, very cool. Neptunia is great. Although I've never played a SMT game, I don't really play gacha games personally, they just feel mike cash grabs most of the time to me. Honestly I've never understood the appeal of Valorant and Apex tbh, they've just never looked like my type of thing

On 7/26/2022 at 11:57 AM, ScarletPyro said:

@waddlewaffle @Isaac @Canaranjo what similarities do Pokémon hold to touhou and whynare you attracted to both? I've been hearing lots about Pokémon in this topic, so I'd like to know how and why Pokémon and Touhou have interlinking communities

Frankly, anything you could say as a similarity is kind of a stretch. I met both games in separate occasions and fell in love with them for separate reasons. The one thing that could possibly link the two for me is my love for cute designs and a large cast of characters with different flavors to them, that I can pick favorites over. The combination of both franchises is godly though. I recommend a playthrough for any fan of either franchise:

My beloved Patchy:
unknown.png

• Like 1

patchouliass2.png.e11a8850318b379359e5d4f48a638bd3.png

I don't have a specific, overall favorite game, but I'd say that my favorite game on the PlayStation 3 is LittleBigPlanet 2. It's just a great game. Heck, maybe even a perfect sequel to the original LittleBigPlanet.

It's just unfortunate that the servers for it (and the other PS3/Vita LBP games) had to die due to serious attacks, with no way to transfer your creations to LBP3 PS4.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:41 PM, ScarletCyro said:

I've never tried a metroidvania before, it's probably the only genre I've never tried

Well, if you're looking for an introduction to the genre, Touhou Luna Nights is a conveniently themed option. The price-to-content ratio isn't as balanced as it probably should be, but as a shorter experience it may be more what you're looking for.

TTT

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a favorite game, but there's many games that I do like, some just as much as if not more than Touhou, such as Shin Megami Tensei(especially Nocturne, 5, 4A, and Devil Survivor though I'd like to know more about DDS, Last Bible, DS2, DS2RB and QDS They seem interesting since the final enemies there the Hindu Harihara, Canopus, Polaris, Universal WIll, Brahman is completely different to YHVH), the Final Fantasy series, Devil May Cry, Castlevania, Soulsborne games especially Bloodborne, God of War, MW2, various Roblox games, Snake(lol), Red Dead Redemption, various horror games, various light novel games, Deltarune, DOTA, MLBB, Starcraft, Sim City and Cities Skylines, and Rockstar games specifically GTA and Bully(There are more games that I like, but I don't feel like listing them).

Edited by Cardinal_
  • Like 1

I adore Celeste, Portal (both parts, but I prefer 2 more), and the Sonic games, with my favorite being Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic CD. With Sonic tho, it's mostly nostalgia, but it's still fun. I like Stardew Valley as well, I have around 100 hours on it.

• Like 1

Number 1 Alice, Meiling and Youmu fan! jaooooooooo

I'm really big into RPGs as a whole, but after playing so many I'm super picky on what I like exactly. Series like SMT and Bravely Default have turn economies, but something like the Mario & Luigi games have a unique more involved take on combat I enjoy a lot from the genre. I really like Tactical/Strategy RPGs, too.

Outside of that, I've played many different genres of games.

Edited by Eulogous
Typos
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hmmmmm...

I kinda love the early 2000-2010 internet culture, so

My favorite game is Halo:Combat Evolved Multiplayer xd

Even being dead nowadays, is still fun, even tho is hard to find players and mostly you find the same players you saw yesterday (i actually like that, i love little communities!), is still so nice to play it after a tiring day xd

It's just kinda sad that the friends i have don't really like it so i mostly play minecraft with them =')

R.gif.015c7e6d30a0d8238c078ef3cc332f99.gif

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As someone who enjoys playing video games, it's hard for me to pick just one favorite game. I love exploring different genres and trying out new games whenever I have the chance. I play free games online without downloading. These games are great because I can easily jump in and out of them whenever I have a spare moment, whether it's during a break at work or while waiting for something. One of my favorite types of online games to play are puzzle games. I love the challenge of trying to solve different puzzles and using my problem-solving skills to figure out the solution.

Edited by LqqsgsVgin