Characters you were surprised you liked

jssf1992

So, yeah, sometimes you see a character that you start off not liking, or just kind of writing off as pointless, but they end up surprising you.

Cassandra Etc. Etc. Pentaghast (Dragon Age Inquisition)
I really didn't like Cassandra in DA2, though we didn't have much to go off of, but with how Inquisition started, I initially thought that Cassandra would be a stuck up jerk to go with how Bioware was portraying the Chantry in DA2.  Thankfully, she more than makes up for it once everyone is actually on the same side.  While I don't consider her a favorite (there's a lot of competition), I still rather liked her in the end.

Makoto Nanaya (Blazblue Continuum Shift)
Makoto just makes a bad first impression.  My response when I first saw her was to just write her off as a pure fanservice character.  When I got around to seeing her actual story, though, I couldn't have been more wrong.  She was a properly developed character and her character arc, while small and part of the backstory, was good.  Most of all though in a game where most of the good guys were some flavor of anti-hero or dumb, Makoto stood out as one that was morally sound and much smarter than she initially appeared.
She's also generally one of the funniest characters

Judith (Tales of Vesperia)
Similar to Makoto, Judith initially looks like she's just there for fanservice, not helped by multiple characters (herself including) drawing attention to her looks.  She has a strange personality that initially I found bizarre and shallow.  She almost never emotes, speaking in a slow, calm tone that only seems to break when she's in a fight (and then she's a little too excited).  While she does emote more as the story goes on and she grows on me that way, her story also helped a lot, playing heavily into the game's theme.

Zelos Wilder (Tales of Symphonia)
Zelos comes from a supposedly divine lineage, marking him as the chosen one, giving him magic powers and all that . . . except the world's pretty safe these days, so he just spends his time partying, womanizing, and otherwise being irresponsible.  I mostly just find the guy irritating, but as the story goes on, it becomes clear that underneath it he's one of the most cynical of the party and despises being the chosen one.  It's slow and subtle, but once it comes out in the open, it changes his whole character for the better.

Victor Saltzpyre (Vermintide)

I'm not really one for religious retribution and have a tendency to dislike most that use religion/law as a reason for much, but I have to admit that Victor is one of the best Tsunderes and the way he speaks is delightfully silly. While I recommend Vermintide dialog for some of the best quips in gaming across all the characters, Victor is one I find myself wanting to hate but really enjoying having in groups.

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

• 1 month later...

Definitely Mary Saotome (Kakegurui)
 Really just kinda hated her a lot for some reason which I still don't know why which was probably because of how she looks and how kinda despicable she is at times- but after like a few episodes, I kinda started liking her. 

p.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage.png.c4e2a2b3fd5444f0c1ae29d5ff35a5a9.png

I'm kinda hungry.

Archived